Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

I'm also left clueless why Captain America looks so different and no longer has his shield - did I forget something from Winter Soldier?
I didn't even realise it was him! The Captain America films are amongst my favourite Avengers films.

And I felt the ending was a bit pointless. We know anyway I suppose, as Dr. Strange let it happen.

A couple of points of order, Brian...

At the end of Thor: Ragnarok, it's Thanos' ship that we see, not the Guardians. Infinity War opens mere moments after.

Cap looks different (as does the Black Widow) because they've gone underground after Civil War...they have refused to sign the Sokovia Agreements and are now unregistered fugitives.

As for Stormbreaker, it provides a focus for the power that Thor wields...and it also allows him to summon the Bifrost, which his own powers don't.

Regarding the Black Order (the underlings), they are hugely powerful beings in their own right.

Oh, and as for the 'deaths'...I reckon they're all in the Soul Gem and that a large number of them will be returning. However, there will be real deaths at the end of 4, of that I am certain.

Saw it last night. It was... okay.

Some of the characters acted in an odd manner - Thor and Dr Strange were especially rude and seemed out of character. Also - at the end of Thor: Ragnarok we saw the Asgardians picked up by the Guardians of the Galaxy - yet that didn't happen in the film and therefore seemed like a continuity error.

Also - Thor needed another weapon? Wasn't it established in Ragnorok that the God of Thunder didn't need a weapon??

Putting different teams together was done well, but all too often characters seemed underpowered for the sake of plot - the Scarlet Witch and Vision were helpless against a couple of underlings at the start? Why didn't Dr Strange simply drop Thanos into another dimension or far-away world?

While it was good to see Thanos had an actual motivation, he was boringly indestructible. The scene when trying to remove his gauntlet seemed to take forever - why didn't Iron Man simply cut the guy's hand off and so get the job done more quickly?

I'm also left clueless why Captain America looks so different and no longer has his shield - did I forget something from Winter Soldier?

It not so much that I didn't enjoy the film - the character exchanges, as usual, were fun - but the story seemed driven by convenience, papering over potential plot holes. The tone also seemed more like a comic than the Marvel Universe films to date.

And does anyone seriously think the deaths at the end will stick? Hint: no one of consequence ever seems to die in the Marvel Universe. :)

In part 2 , they hit they reset button and all will be well.

When the film came out , I had no real desire to see to even bother going to see it. Ive seen clips of tan its appears to be well aced and its got dazzling fight scenes . The last Superhero film I saw was Captain America The Winter Soldier.

I thought it was great. It had the usual problems accompanying a huge budget, sfx reliant, star-studded film (I couldn't not hear Josh Brolin's MIB 'you lose something over here Hondo?' whatever Thanos' expression.) The single biggest improvement they could make, is to employ less famous actors for future big roles and rein in the gliberatti.

Kang The Conqueror ...

@Brian G Turner

I can't answer why characters didn't act the way you thought they should but I can take a stab at some of it,

The ship that picked the Asgardians was not the Guardians of the Galaxy. They never said whose ship it was but it looked similar to a Chitauri ship (friends of Thanos).

Thor found out he didn't need his hammer to control lighting. It was only a focus that he had gotten to dependent on using.

Nothing that Iron Man wields is capable of cutting Thanos's flesh.

After Captain America finished kicking Iron Man's butt in Civil War. A beaten and petulant Tony Stark said, "My dad made that shield. You don't deserve it." Cap tossed the shield at him and walked off.

The deaths didn't stick when it happened in the comics and it won't stick in the movies. If Cap or Tony had died it would have been more believable because the actors are about done with the roles. No way Sony lets Disney kill Spider-Man.

I hope you are right, Brian. Those deaths sticked into my memory and all I could think of at the end of the movie was: Oh, no ! They cannot be really dead, can they ?

Saw it last night. It was... okay.

Some of the characters acted in an odd manner - Thor and Dr Strange were especially rude and seemed out of character. Also - at the end of Thor: Ragnarok we saw the Asgardians picked up by the Guardians of the Galaxy - yet that didn't happen in the film and therefore seemed like a continuity error.

No, the ship we saw at the end of Ragnarok was definitely the one that attacks them at the start of Infinity War - I watched Ragnarok again recently.

Also - Thor needed another weapon? Wasn't it established in Ragnorok that the God of Thunder didn't need a weapon??

It was also established at the start of Infinity War that Thanos beats the tar out of Thor if he hasn't got a weapon. Heck, Thor wasn't able to beat Hela without a weapon, although in fairness I've no idea how Thanos and Hela compare on the power scales.

Putting different teams together was done well, but all too often characters seemed underpowered for the sake of plot - the Scarlet Witch and Vision were helpless against a couple of underlings at the start? Why didn't Dr Strange simply drop Thanos into another dimension or far-away world?

Yeah, Scarlet Witch should have made mincemeat of those minions. Dropping Thanos into another dimension might have worked if he didn't have the Space Stone.

While it was good to see Thanos had an actual motivation, he was boringly indestructible. The scene when trying to remove his gauntlet seemed to take forever - why didn't Iron Man simply cut the guy's hand off and so get the job done more quickly?

Good question, although I'd say if you look at all the effort Iron Man had to go to just to spill a drop of blood, he didn't have the power to remove a limb.

More like the entirety of Civil War :)

And does anyone seriously think the deaths at the end will stick? Hint: no one of consequence ever seems to die in the Marvel Universe. :)

Given that at least two of the fallen have had sequel hints, I'd say no-one believes that.

Oops, yes - I meant Civil War, not Winter Solider. :) I still felt as though I'd missed a Captain America film somewhere, though - not least the capt's new grungy look, plus his new twin shields.

No, the ship we saw at the end of Ragnarok was definitely the one that attacks them at the start of Infinity War - I watched Ragnarok again recently.

No worries, I must have remembered that wrong. :)

The grungy look is because he's been in hiding since Civil War, pretty sure the twin shields were gifts from Black Panther.

I finally saw it tonight (Stornoway cinema showing all the Avengers films this week, leading up to Infinity War which I'm going to see on Tuesday)

This was my first cinema visit in almost three years, and I liked it a lot.
Funny, sad, weird, and silly