8.04: The Walking Dead - Some Guy

ctg

weaver of the unseen
NRE9PbX.jpg

Jerry (Photo by Gene Page/AMC)

A new weapon in the Savior arsenal proves to be a giant hurdle as fighting continues between Rick's forces and those of the Saviors.

It should have taken a lot more walkers than that to bring Shiva down. R.I.P. big cat.

I hope they've done it as much justice as what it received in the comics. I suspect that the certain bow and arrow scene is coming nearer.

Hail to the King Ezekiel! Hail to Shiva!

Tiger death was portrayed as it happened in the comics and same thing happened to King Ezekiel as he completely broke down after this episode. The King wasn't the same ever again. But the Kingdom didn't care as Jerry said, "You're a really cool dude!"

In other times I might imagine Jerry would offer him a blunt as I believe the King's bodyguard need some puff to relax after dragging that heavy battleax everywhere. I'm so glad it broke so that he can now go to ask a proper replacement from Hilltop's arsenal. They have the only blacksmith seen anywhere. Therefore, going forwad he's going to be in as important man as the doctor.

I would suspect that the Kingdom is going to need their own one, plus a furnace as that would be proper relaxation for King Ezekiel to lose his whole crew. He believed in their success more than he believed in his own faith. That's why he was so chippy at the end of the Monsters.

I cannot imagine what it feels to wake up under all those dead, knowing that you loved all of them and then see them coming after you. Still wearing the same faces. It must be hard to swing a thing at them and end their days. Most people have left the closest ones final moments to be done by someone else. Ezekiel had no choice as he was forced to defend his own life.

So I'm glad that Carol didn't leave his royal ass behind, when he started begging. She has become a Slayer, if she wasn't one before. Maybe all this time, that housewife hid her instincts under cookies and cakes. All that time she spent in the hut on her own made her to be able to put away the monster that lurks under her skin. All we know is that she cannot lose important people or she will snap.

How do you think this war will evolve as Rick's main assault is now over and the Day of Reckoning is coming to close? Who has survived in the Sanctuary? Can Negan regain his power after losing all outposts?

I cannot imagine what it feels to wake up under all those dead,
That made me wonder if Ezekiel's loyal subjects had made a last-ditch effort to protect their king with their bodies when the Saviors opened up on them with the heavy machine gun (Browning 50-caliber?) I also wondered how plausible reassembling and mounting that gun in the bed of speeding truck might be.
Again, both sides seemed to have an amazingly abundant ammunition supply. So, why was Negan so keen on the possibility of Eugene's homemade bullet factory? Maybe the Saviors had already begun manufacturing their ammo, but where did Rick and his crew reacquire their supply?

That made me wonder if Ezekiel's loyal subjects had made a last-ditch effort to protect their king with their bodies when the Saviors opened up on them with the heavy machine gun (Browning 50-caliber?)

Yeah. 12.7 x 55 mm. We don't know the ammo, but we can assume it was standard BMG and they do damage exactly as we saw. Sometimes much worse as the round severe arms and legs, make headless torsos and so on. It's why they are used in the sentry duties or for the anti-material role.

The only thing I was thinking was that some of them might had been able to run away as that heavy machine guns cycling rate is relatively slow. More Dakka-Dakka than a BRRR....

I also wondered how plausible reassembling and mounting that gun in the bed of speeding truck might be.

If everything's ready and people know what they do, under 2 minutes in boxes. In hurry, however, the guns would have been left alone to cool down as their barrels would have got super hot. The barrel itself is a quick change one. One twist and it'll come lose. Door gunners have to do it on flight.

So, why was Negan so keen on the possibility of Eugene's homemade bullet factory?

Because there is always a need for ammo. Nobody manufacturers it in the Kirkman's world. So while there might be plenty, there isn't any who's manufacturing new stuff. Or know how to operate a reloading station, not talking about the fine stuff.

I've stopped taking this very seriously now. It is fun, if still a little too gory, but I'm just along for the roller-coaster ride.
She has become a Slayer, if she wasn't one before.
How can that battered and abused woman in the first series turn into a female Rambo. It might happen, and "life" has thrown her some curved balls, but it's really doubtful.
Again, both sides seemed to have an amazingly abundant ammunition supply.
I expect that they've used more ammunition in the last four weeks than the US Army used in a year. There is no point in thinking about it any more.

RIP Shiva.

Convienant the way Daryl and Rick appeared to stop the guns reaching the sanctuary.
I hope they don't kill Jerry any time soon, he's awesome.
As for believability I suspend believe Every time I watch. The waste of bullets, characters who survive impossible odds. If I took it serious I'd have stopped watching after the first couple of episodes.

FTWD it's likely when the new series starts, Madison, Alicia and Strand will have survived their swim, Daniel will have saved himself and Nick. Realistically only one or two would survive.

And so the zombie soap opera plods on, each week the undead becoming more the perfect metaphor for the show itself.
As the 'plot' stumbles lifelessly from one repetitive scene to the next. In 4 episodes nothing of any note has happened, or maybe it has and I failed to notice.
A while back I had a rant about the lack of any substantial arc, then I let it go and tuned in for the weekly apocalyptic fun, but now I'm bored.
It's time for some new surroundings and ideas. Or maybe, dare I say it, some sort of explosive ending to the whole thing?

And so the zombie soap opera plods on, each week the undead becoming more the perfect metaphor for the show itself.
As the 'plot' stumbles lifelessly from one repetitive scene to the next. In 4 episodes nothing of any note has happened, or maybe it has and I failed to notice.
A while back I had a rant about the lack of any substantial arc, then I let it go and tuned in for the weekly apocalyptic fun, but now I'm bored.
It's time for some new surroundings and ideas. Or maybe, dare I say it, some sort of explosive ending to the whole thing?

I agree that it's definitely time for a new direction instead of 'here's the next bad guy, madder/badder than the last'. The problem is what exactly can they do? To be honest it's amazing that we've got through 8 seasons of the same hashed plotlines, the same corny rallying speeches; but then again, I'm still watching so it obviously still has something to offer!

I find that suspension of disbelief in this series is compulsory, but quite how a 200kg killing machine is brought down by a handful of floundering zombies I do not know.

but quite how a 200kg killing machine is brought down by a handful of floundering zombies I do not know.

Hmmm, ones that were all squishy too, it seemed like it could have just wandered off if it wanted. A moment before they are being dispatched with a bit of stick? Seems the CGI budget has been exhausted, or they got bored drawing it. Or like Dobby in Harry Potter, they couldn't have it keep showing up and saving the day!
But still, a more fitting death would have been nice?

Also, how strong was that lock and chain! Quality bit of kit right there.

I'm at the point where i have to FFWD over the speeches. Just get on with it!

Yeah, it used to be at the end of a season, now it seems to be every episode that someone - sometimes more than one person - is giving a speech?

I'm very close to finally ditching this show. I've been more than patient for many years and, usually, after one or two dud episodes, it bounces back and engages me again. But four episodes of boredom and weak storylines (I'm being generous) is too much to ask.

But I will give it one more chance...

I am in the minority here with this episode. Ezekiel's opening speech was great. He is one of the more likeable characters and I am with Nixie. Jerry is awesome.

This season is fun in a violent, popcorn way. Long may it continue.

I abandoned it last year after the season opener. A couple of months later, I had one of those "you started it, you should finish it" moments and binge watched the entire season in a couple of days. I've been IN since the first episode of 8. All of the above complaints are valid: bad gunplay, impossible escapes, and sappy pep talks. I might add, magic zombie biology. However, I'm hooked until the stupid end.

I love what I think this season will be — an entire season set back and forth, from one action to the other, encompassed in one day. I wrote the climactic battle in one of my books like that (at least 40 pages and a dozen mini-chapters).

I still say that one-in-walker-world should gather a few marksmen/women and position them on roof tops in a residential subdivision. Issue each a 5000 round case of .22 long rifle cartridges and a reliable scoped rimfire (or two). Create an attractant sound and start popping zombie noggins as the hordes wander in. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctg