Reviews: How to get your readers to actually leave them?

Chanel

So a few of my readers have said they like my book so far, BUT... No one is leaving an actual reviews on Amazon. I've gotten one so far, and another reliable friend promised to leave one when she finishes the book, but my goal is at least 3 more. I don't like to beg, so I've only posted on social media asking about reviews once. It's not necessarily about reviews bringing in more sales, but I genuinely love to see/discuss feedback.

Most small time authors just don't seem to get that many reviews. I'd recommend focusing more on marketing than reviews. Reviews are a consequence of people reading the book, and not (necessarily) the other way around.

There's no harm in asking politely. But, yeah - it's mostly about getting the book into enough hands that like it to leave a review.

Also - forums when you are an established members can be very supportive.

Most small time authors just don't seem to get that many reviews. I'd recommend focusing more on marketing than reviews. Reviews are a consequence of people reading the book, and not (necessarily) the other way around.

I've noticed that as well. A friend of mine got 3 reviews on her first book (2 excluding me), and 1 on her second.(me).

A few thoughts:

1) Most people are lazy so to get reviews you've got to get lots of sales to get those few who will review; of course reviews are part of your marketing so to get sales you've got to get reviews so its a bit of a circle.

2) As Del advises focus on other forms of marketing to help push sales to boost the number of readers. Local signing events; give aways; conventions; community interactions on forums/facebook; running a blog etc.... Heck send copies to any local small news agencies for review etc...

Community interaction is part of but separate to reviews;
1) You can do this via a blog, if you are though remember that any blog HAS to have a focus, theme and structure beyond just marketing your book. You've got to have a regular updating day at a decent time interval. The failure of many a blog is to start with dozens of fast posts then dwindling into nothing (whereupon a dead blog acts against your favour). Another failure is to only talk about the sale of your latest book; you've got to give the fans more. HAve a look at other authors and see what they do to help keep their blogs ticking along.

2) Facebook fanpage - start one and manage it. That can be your community interaction. Forums also work well for this aspect as can sites like Good Reads.

The more you market the more you can get attention for your work and thus the more likely you are to generate reviews.

There's no harm in asking politely. But, yeah - it's mostly about getting the book into enough hands that like it to leave a review.

Also - forums when you are an established members can be very supportive.

It could also be my lack of patience. I know for a fact that some people haven't finished it (128 pgs), but out of 20 sales in two weeks, I know someone has lol. Also, with amazon the buyers are anonymous, so besides maybe 7 or 8 people, I have no real idea of who else bought books to receive any feedback or thank personally.

A few thoughts:

1) Most people are lazy so to get reviews you've got to get lots of sales to get those few who will review; of course reviews are part of your marketing so to get sales you've got to get reviews so its a bit of a circle.

2) As Del advises focus on other forms of marketing to help push sales to boost the number of readers. Local signing events; give aways; conventions; community interactions on forums/facebook; running a blog etc.... Heck send copies to any local small news agencies for review etc...

Community interaction is part of but separate to reviews;
1) You can do this via a blog, if you are though remember that any blog HAS to have a focus, theme and structure beyond just marketing your book. You've got to have a regular updating day at a decent time interval. The failure of many a blog is to start with dozens of fast posts then dwindling into nothing (whereupon a dead blog acts against your favour). Another failure is to only talk about the sale of your latest book; you've got to give the fans more. HAve a look at other authors and see what they do to help keep their blogs ticking along.

2) Facebook fanpage - start one and manage it. That can be your community interaction. Forums also work well for this aspect as can sites like Good Reads.

The more you market the more you can get attention for your work and thus the more likely you are to generate reviews.

I have a fanpage, website, blog, ect.. I'm very socially active. But my followers tend to be "watchers" but not actually interacting.

That's also another reason I join sites like these. I have friends that like to read, but not on the level that I do, so my social circle or readers and writers is VERY small, even though plenty of people have been supportive. I also wouldn't be surprised if some people bought a book to be supportive, but haven't actually read it yet.

That's also another reason I join sites like these. I have friends that like to read, but not on the level that I do, so my social circle or readers and writers is VERY small, even though plenty of people have been supportive. I also wouldn't be surprised if some people bought a book to be supportive, but haven't actually read it yet.
That will happen for your first book. In future:

Make connections with readers and see if you can get a few reviews up on release day by having your arcs read.

Promote, promote, promote. Where are you promoting your book? What blog tours have you done? Local media? Etc etc

That will happen for your first book. In future:

Make connections with readers and see if you can get a few reviews up on release day by having your arcs read.

Promote, promote, promote. Where are you promoting your book? What blog tours have you done? Local media? Etc etc

I promote my book on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Wattpad and Twitter. I also used bargain booksy to advertise my eBook.

I promote my book on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Wattpad and Twitter. I also used bargain booksy to advertise my eBook.
- yes but all those but Bargain booksy (which isn't always a great deliverer of results) only promote to those who know you. Even with the best reach those will soon be saturated. You also need to reach to new people. And then hope for word of mouth to build.

It certainly helps to build up some (hopefully good) reviews, but very few readers write them. I never used to before I was published, so I have no expectations and instead concentrate on selling copies and hope that some of my readers do write reviews. They do build up over time, however.

I feel your pain. My first book got heaps. My second fewer. My third is doing well on goodreads but I've been murdered on amazon. I guess it comes with picking up the quill.

Not everyone knows that reviews are important to an author. They bought the book; that's supporting the author. I've met a number of people who looked surprised when I explained how authors need reviews as well as sales. At least a couple of my readers (relatives of mine) promised they would post a review. One said he was too self-conscious to write anything.

So, it's worth at least having the conversation with F&R (friends and relatives) on the subject. The only time I'd be worried would be if I had like ten reviews and eight of them were named Knox. :)

Authors on facebook are always asking for reviews. When I was with FB I did the same but got no results. Still, it's worth a try.

If I ever get my kindle to cooperate I'll leave one. Yeah, I've been dragon my feet in that regard.

but out of 20 sales in two weeks

Damn, I'm obviously doing something wrong. I think I've had 8 sales in 6 months! At least you have folks buying your story. Then again, I've not really promoted it.

I suspect it's just a matter of time. Patience being the key. Reviewing is not everyones cup of tea though.

Goodreads hasn't yet been mentioned - and on there reviews, and just ratings without a review, are supposed to feed into the algorithm that is used to recommend books to readers. Try joining Goodreads, have an author page, do what you do here - join some groups and join in like a human being, not a rabid promoter :). After a bit, you could try a giveaway, or offer free copies for review. Its all a slow build.

I always think that free give-aways get used wrongly by many. I think that they work really well when you're building marketing up toward key events. Eg a major convention you're attending or the release of a new book in the series. I think its also worth trying to add value or worth to the free release rather than just "here its free for a bit. It's all about making your free book important to be free; to be worth attention over all the other free books.