Pre 1982 novel, Human Male is Modified by 3 alien Races

Talos

What I can remember from the storyline is that an alien entity is traveling through space towards the earth. And apparently previous stops at human habitated planets resulted in their extinction. The government in an attempt to communicate with this alien entity sends a human male to three other races they have encountered. Each of these three races makes modifications to the human male. After each modification the human male feels like he becomes less human and finds it harder to fit in with humanity. I don’t recall all three modifications but one had to do with his mind and another had to do with his body. At the end of the book he meets this alien entity and finds out it is basically female. He is able to communicate with it and finds out it is lonely. He convinces her to leave the earth alone and they go off together.

Based off of my possibly flawed memory of where the book was located in the library I believe the last name of the author resides somewhere between H and K. The book had to have been written prior to 1982 since it had already found its way into a school library. I also think that the hardback cover was mostly white but again I am not positive. I also don’t believe it was strictly a juvenile novel. The concepts being portrayed were more along the lines of how things change you and affect your perspective.

I so seldom check this site anymore. I'm shocked it's only been a few days since you posted. I really wish it was "A Miracle of Rare Design", but it isn't. Thanks though.

Back