Star Trek Discovery renewed for season 2

Time passed so fast with this series and we were so busy with each episode. *sigh*

And before you panic like me, when you'll find out this week is the end of the season, I confirm they will be back in January 2018 for a 2nd season.:)

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Renewed for Season 2 by CBS All Access
I assumed they were just halfway through, before the december hiatus. There are too many things that need to be resolved first.
How about a "below decks" on the rest of the bridge crew?

I assumed they were just halfway through, before the december hiatus. There are too many things that need to be resolved first.

The January 2018 date is for the next six episodes after Sundays finale. Season 2 will likely come in 2019 but hopefully summer 2018

I should be interesting to have a below decks view. Nevertheless, we still don't know much about the bridge crew, with a few exceptions. I suppose they will add new faces, just like they did with Michael and Ash.

I'm just starting to realize... there will be no Discovery this week...

Here comes the withdrawal pangs...

\
I'm just starting to realize... there will be no Discovery this week...

Here comes the withdrawal pangs...
I had them right after ep. 9, knowing the next one is in only January.:(

Both you can always Watch Voyage to The Bottom of the Sea while your eating for new Discovery episodes.:)

I should be interesting to have a below decks view. Nevertheless, we still don't know much about the bridge crew, with a few exceptions. I suppose they will add new faces, just like they did with Michael and Ash.

I was wondering if Burnham was going to have to work her way up a little bit more, but I guess one measly task is good enough to prove yourself in Star Trek. It would be interesting to have that type of episode where Burnham vanishes and she gets to see how life on Discovery would be different without her. Everyone happy/no war with Klingons etc... I think only then would a below decks episode work because as far as I can tell this story is from Burnham's POV.

Although a little jealousy from other crewmembers would be nice to focus on. They could be fighting for a spot on an away team and Burnham gets it because she's Lorca's pet (this already happened in the fall finale, but I thought it was odd that there was no reaction from the crew), and they say stuff about her behind her back as they transport down to some planet.

I'm ready to bet Michael will end up as captain of Discovery.

Nah... I'm betting she will be reinstated as an officer, but 2nd Officer, at best. Unless they decide to kill off what is becoming a beloved First Officer?

Any bets on who the new Captain of the Discovery is? My bet is someone we've never heard of.

One of the most noted, and most controversial, changes of Star Trek: Discovery was its shift away from the series’ traditional monster/science-problem/God-starship of the week setup to a storytelling structure that, if not as tightly plotted as many prestige shows, was still pretty strongly serialized.

According to Leslie Moonves, the CEO of CBS, this was a direct result of Discovery’s actual most controversial decision: the network decision to put the program exclusively on CBS All Access, a paid online streaming platform owned and operated by the network.

Speaking at a conference in San Francisco, Moonves talked about All Access and how Discovery fit into the network’s strategy for it, saying, as quoted by Trek Movie, “Star Trek could have gone on CBS, it could have gone on Showtime, it could have gone directly to Netflix instead of just international, for a lot of money. There is a distinction. The Good Fight is a spin-off of a successful CBS show. It is sort of different on All Access, they can be serialized. On CBS we try to avoid that generally. Network television generally works better when it is not serialized.”

That last assertion, that network television shouldn’t be serialized, and that this judgment is what allowed the online-only Discovery to take a more serialized format, is an interesting one. Over the past decade, serialized television has experienced a renaissance, starting on network TV with shows like Lost before becoming the default mode of storytelling for a wide swath of television across all types of platforms. It’s telling of CBS’s broad strategy, and its place in the TV landscape, that serialization is generally still frowned upon on the broadcast level, at least according to Moonves.

If a serialized Star Trek appeals to you, then now there’s at least one reason to be happy about CBS All Access. Otherwise, just something else to blame the platform for.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-ceo-of-cbs-says-streaming-is-responsible-for-star-t-1823490419

And we have some heads-up for S2 with some hopes we will see the first episode before the end of the year. :)

Showrunners Gretchen J. Berg and Aaron Harberts explained to the crowd that season 2 will edge away from “the backdrop of war” and into a “more exploratory phase and a more diplomatic phase”, steadily becoming “a bit more of a Trekian chapter.”

After fielding several questions from the audience about the continuity of the show, Harberts went on to confirm that Discovery is indeed in the Prime Timeline, and that season 2 will reveal a bit more about how that stitches up to our current knowledge of Trek history:

“The idea was to always be in the Prime Timeline. Obviously, there are questions and concerns and things that are different. Our technology is a little different. We have a ship that runs very differently. We are our own show in a lot of ways. Season two is really exciting for us. This is our opportunity to really show how Discovery fits into this Prime Timeline. We are firmly committed to that.”

Star Trek: Discovery season 2 - Jonathan Frakes reveals new details

We’re just as excited [as we were for season one], but there is a blanket of peace in this sense of preparedness because we’re familiar with it and because we have our experiential knowledge from last year. Now, we have a little bit more hold on what it is that we’re doing, the universe we’re in, the story that we’re telling, the roles that each of us have within the story. We’re hopefully very boldly, if I may say, going higher and deeper.
Emmys 2018: The Quiet Brilliance of Sonequa Martin-Green on ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ (Exclusive)

Back