New Star Wars Trilogy Announced

Heir

Psychopathic Chosen One
Well... this just happened.

We probably all saw this coming, but before all the cynics jump on how this is more milking of the franchise (which, to be fair, it may well be), I have to say I'm glad to know this is on the horizon.

This is what many of us (particularly fans of the Extended Universe) originally wanted if there were to be any more films.

Now I'm getting the vibe that The Last Jedi might actually be something we aren't entirely expecting.

This part from the article really grabbed my attention:

"In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

Clearly, whatever he has done with this film, it's proven to Lucasfilms that he's the right guy to take the Star Wars films in a completely new direction.

Guess we'll have to wait another month to see if that's true or not.

Yeah, I think this is great news. Tie up the Skywalker saga, and then get on to new things. Can't wait (though it will be a long wait, I imagine!).
Maybe it will come out after whatever anthology film is released after Episode IX.

The director has finished this film already, so he could begin working on the next film now and have at least three years to make his next one.

This sounds quit interesting. :cool:

There is talk of a live action Star Wars tv series.:)

Honestly Starwars probably has a greater volume of potential explorable Lore than Lord of the Rings by this stage. Even if you don't include all the semi-official fan stuff the potential for the franchise and world setting is vast. Honestly I'd love them to take it a new direction as there's just huge potential. Plus I think that if you give a director/writer team a bit more leeway we might get that same "spark" of story and adventure and quality that can be lacking when one tries to stretch out what is otherwise another writers story.

Heck we've already seen them do really well with Rouge One which was a slight step to the side; a full step could be great.

Honestly Starwars probably has a greater volume of potential explorable Lore than Lord of the Rings by this stage. Even if you don't include all the semi-official fan stuff the potential for the franchise and world setting is vast. Honestly I'd love them to take it a new direction as there's just huge potential. Plus I think that if you give a director/writer team a bit more leeway we might get that same "spark" of story and adventure and quality that can be lacking when one tries to stretch out what is otherwise another writers story.

Heck we've already seen them do really well with Rouge One which was a slight step to the side; a full step could be great.

The story possibilities there are endless .:) :cool: So far , movies haven't even begun to tap the story potential of the Star Wars universe. :)

I'd just really love them to recapture the fantasy/adventure aspect that I feel has been missing from the Starwars films for far too long. I guess the other part is the mystery. The prequels we kinda knew all the big events that were going to happen whilst the 7th film was such a story carbon copy of the 4th that it didn't evoke that same feeling of discovery within the story*. A new corner of the Galaxy, a new mystery and surprise and a fantastical sci-fi world would really give it a restart. Especially if they take effort to avoid just flying to already known key worlds.

*the characters, in theory, should have shifted to become the focus but they were handled badly, in my view.

For those of us who watched the OT in cinemas the novelty of it was that it was A budget FX technology being put into B movie stories which the major studios had ignored (they could have followed the lead of RKO's King Kong but for whatever reason did not, so it was smaller studios that provided most of the audience-friendly fantasy films). The rarity of it was a big part of the appeal since none of the imitators had an ILM type FX technical proficiency.

Another aspect was the never-before-seen art design the first film had, especially Vader and the stormtroopers and the spaceships. Those sold the movie more than anything else because it was just so different from anything else at the time.

By the time the prequels came along there had been enough developments with FX that the envelope-pushing which Star Wars films had cornered the market on no longer applied. The Fifth Element had already done flying ships in a city. Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park had altered the FX landscape so much--the edge that a Star Wars film had was eliminated.

Another major buzzkill was John Williams did not have the same style of music he had in the 70s so there was a lack of distinct themes. His score for the Force Awakens is practically Zimmer. I know he is old, but its too bad he couldnt capture his old style because it is an essential ingredient to the experience.

The best time to have done the sequels was the early 90s since the original cast were still young enough to do it properly and FX innovations would have worked to the advantage of the films.

Good news if that is indeed the case - a whole new chapter that could be completely independent of the Skywalker chronicles - will give some fresh ideas (as well as characters) to a well worn space-opera. It will also mean another franchised cash-cow for Disney - but then again they're taking on all the risks so good luck to them.

A bold move indeed.

This is good news. I would love to see the franchise branch out and away from the Skywalker and the Solo’s.

There is a lot of hope for Knights of the Old Republic.

I don't want an adaptation of the games, because that would be a terrible idea. But I would really like to see an original story from within that time period. But I have a feeling they would go forward rather than back.

Even if they do, that doesn't mean characters, plot points and other concepts from the old EU can't be brought into this new trilogy. I mean, they've already done that anyway.

That brings in the TV series also and the possibilities for that, too. I agree, the time period has a lot of potential.

I would love live-action Thrawn, or more about the Chiss and the Unknown Regions.

Y'all just messin' with me, right?

I mean... not a single one of the above posts is a complaint! How... "Un-Star Wars Fan-Like"!

:D

I'm relieved to hear it will steer clear of the traditonal films and the Skywalker clan. I've just about had my fill of Boba Fett, Thrawn, Vader, et al, too. Let's have something completely new without the compulsion to relate everything to everything.

pH