SSX

Okay I'm in - I'm a virgin to this SSX thing so I'm sure it will be fun.

I would like a story in a MR James style, but involving a modern urban setting. The 'theme' I'd like is Trickster and I want a proper twist ending. NO NEGOTIATION OR SKIMPING ON THE LAST POINT. :)

Okay I'm in - I'm a virgin to this SSX thing so I'm sure it will be fun.

I would like a story in a MR James style, but involving a modern urban setting. The 'theme' I'd like is Trickster and I want a proper twist ending. NO NEGOTIATION OR SKIMPING ON THE LAST POINT. :)

I have no idea what a MR James is or what Trickster is.

I have no idea what a MR James is or what Trickster is.

MR James is a writer. Trickster you can look up on google by writing 'definition of trickster'. But I'll reproduce what Merriam-Webster gives you:

Definition of trickster
:one who tricks: such as
a :a dishonest person who defrauds others by trickery
b :a person (such as a stage magician) skilled in the use of tricks and illusion
c :a cunning or deceptive character appearing in various forms in the folklore of many cultures

oh ok I didn't know if you were referring to something more specific with trickster since you capitalized it. :)

M. R. James is best known for "antiquarian ghost stories." Although set in (his) modern times , they generally follow a pattern I'l quote from Wikipedia:

James perfected a method of story-telling which has since become known as Jamesian. The classic Jamesian tale usually includes the following elements:

a characterful setting in an English village, seaside town or country estate; an ancient town in France, Denmark or Sweden; or a venerable abbey or university

a nondescript and rather naive gentleman-scholar as protagonist (often of a reserved nature)

the discovery of an old book or other antiquarian object that somehow unlocks, calls down the wrath, or at least attracts the unwelcome attention of a supernatural menace, usually from beyond the grave

Lots more information here:

M. R. James - Wikipedia

oh ok I didn't know if you were referring to something more specific with trickster since you capitalized it. :)

I always think of tricksters in the supernatural sense - like Loki in Norse myth - sort of very powerful beings with very askew motivations when interacting with humans. However for the purposes of SSX it should really mean anything that fits with the definition...or thereabouts :rolleyes:

MR James is a writer. Trickster you can look up on google by writing 'definition of trickster'. But I'll reproduce what Merriam-Webster gives you:

Definition of trickster
:one who tricks: such as
a :a dishonest person who defrauds others by trickery
b :a person (such as a stage magician) skilled in the use of tricks and illusion
c :a cunning or deceptive character appearing in various forms in the folklore of many cultures

Barrel. Lok.

Howdy-hey-there everyone (that's here)........... My SSX request tale..........

You're in a cabin, in a secluded wooded area (with or without friends).

Evil-Dead-Cabin.jpg

Intelligent, but demented squirrels want to infiltrate the cabin.

DNp_tdjWkAEWdGD.jpg

Because, you have a can of mixed nuts.

mixednuts-can.jpg

Ok, chosen one. Crack your knuckles and get typing, when it's time.

I haven't even read the other tales yet. Maybe I should wait, until I'm selected. Hmmm....

Howdy-hey-there everyone (that's here)........... My SSX request tale..........

You're in a cabin, in a secluded wooded area (with or without friends).

Evil-Dead-Cabin.jpg

Intelligent, but demented squirrels want to infiltrate the cabin.

DNp_tdjWkAEWdGD.jpg

Because, you have a can of mixed nuts.

mixednuts-can.jpg

Ok, chosen one. Crack your knuckles and get typing, when it's time.

I haven't even read the other tales yet. Maybe I should wait, until I'm selected. Hmmm....

This reminds me of that Stephen King tale about the demented cat. I think it was in Night Shift? I’d never thought a story about a nasty cat would be scary but...

It was. :eek:

pH

@HareBrain

Definitely an awesome poster. It's like..........PHYREBRAT: the Movie. You"ll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss hours of computer surfing goodbye. No one over 17 admitted without a next of kin to give them a ride home. Those under 20, are still teenagers, unless wearing diapers. Those that are not mentioned, will remain nameless, unless said persons can provide a photo ID.

@Phyrebrat - I thought that was a Lovecraft story about rats in the walls. Or was it an Outer Limits episode, where William Shatner portrayed an astronaut who couldn't fit into his suit because he was too chunky and rode the wing of an airplane, yelling, "THERE'S PEOPLE IN THAT PLANE!!!"

Pet Cemetary?

That cat was called Church (short for Churchill) but he also wrote a short where a hitman was hired by a mysterious man to kill his pet cat. It's played for laughes at first but...

@HareBrain

Definitely an awesome poster. It's like..........PHYREBRAT: the Movie. You"ll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss hours of computer surfing goodbye. No one over 17 admitted without a next of kin to give them a ride home. Those under 20, are still teenagers, unless wearing diapers. Those that are not mentioned, will remain nameless, unless said persons can provide a photo ID.

@Phyrebrat - I thought that was a Lovecraft story about rats in the walls. Or was it an Outer Limits episode, where William Shatner portrayed an astronaut who couldn't fit into his suit because he was too chunky and rode the wing of an airplane, yelling, "THERE'S PEOPLE IN THAT PLANE!!!"

Oh yes, the rats in the wall was a good read! But see above my answer to Dan. I'll Google it in a bit.

And now I think you've made me want to do a poster of your story when it's written :D

pH

This may not end well for any party involved, but I am in.

My request is Space Pirates vs. War Kitties, Military SF, and it has to have a forbidden romance subplot somewhere in there, though this need not be a core part of the plot.

Because I am evil. Why do I have a feeling that I will become intimately acquainted with a tennis playing meerkat?

Back