Why are people so obsessed with WW2?

1. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental

But how important would ICBMs be without nuclear weapons and how much rocket and electronics development would not have been forced so fast without them? I am not talking about the cause of WWII but the synergy of technology resulting from it. ENIAC was used for hydrogen bomb calculations after the Japanese surrendered even though the project was started for artillery ballistics.

Google Ngram Viewer

Curious how much the use of the word 'technology' has changed since 1960.

psik

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Dec 14, 2017
  2. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch I am not a Geek, I am a Level 22 Warrior!

Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Principality of Wales
    Well, I can see one immediate major difference, and effect of a WW2 where Nuclear Fission and a resulting Atomic weapon, is just a dream, but as in OTL, the Nazi's are still developing V1, V2, and whatever they had planned beyond them.

New York Skyscrapers being blown part, and New Yorkers in their hundreds, maybe thousands, given it's population density dying, as long range German Missiles slam into the City, and other's day and night. The war being brought right to the front door of US Civilians, actually facing what Europe had for several years is bound to have an incredible impact on the American Psyche, maybe leading to a post WW2 USA that is either more Isolationist than ever in the past, or far more aggressive in dealing with threats such as Communism.

The possibility of Revenge Weapons dropping chemical, gas and nerve weapons on those civil populations. The whole point of long range weapons, is, they are long range, thus could have been placed well out of the reach of Allied Aircraft, and realistic Land or Naval military intercept, and hammered allied cities, or armies from afar.

Plus think of the massive burst and boost of technology created by the various Space Programmes - ICBM's were IOTL designed to deliver atomic weapons around the world, but the technology soon became obvious as a tool to enable Space Exploration, manned flight, launching Satellites and so on, so just because you don't have Nukes to screw on the end, doesn't mean you don't get all sorts of massive technological and other advances, such as intelligence from orbital spying etc.

Dec 15, 2017
  3. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

I hadn't realised that Google had been around since 1880. :)

Dec 15, 2017
  4. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

More seriously, that is a great tool. I added "philosophy" which hardly changed over time and also "mass-destruction," the use of which is negligible.

Dec 15, 2017
  5. psikeyhackr

I am not saying the space exploration would not happen, I am only saying it would not have happened nearly as fast. The US freaked when the Russians launched Sputnik, largely because they already had the atomic bomb by then. The detonated an A-bomb in 1949 partly as a result of spies in the Manhattan Project. Integrated Circuits were to expensive in 1959, but the US military and NASA started buying them and the downward price spiral started.

Integrated Circuits and the Space Program and Missile Defense - Engineering and Technology History Wiki

The Surprising Story of the First Microprocessors

psik

Dec 16, 2017
  6. psikeyhackr

Dec 16, 2017
  7. psikeyhackr

8. Danny Creasy

Danny Creasy Well-Known Member

This Quora response to the same question is pretty good:

[​IMG]