Tolkien Estate Shopping LOTR TV Series

I have always said that The Lord of the Rings was better suited to a television mini-series than to the movies. So this is exciting news. I hope it happens and that they end up selling it to someone who will do it well.

I loved the movies, but that doesn't meant there weren't parts that I thought could have been done much better (and things they added that shouldn't have been there at all). A new adaptation could be truer to the books . . . although that's not to say that it necessarily would be.

I have always said that The Lord of the Rings was better suited to a television mini-series than to the movies. So this is exciting news. I hope it happens and that they end up selling it to someone who will do it well.

I loved the movies, but that doesn't meant there weren't parts that I thought could have been done much better (and things they added that shouldn't have been there at all). A new adaptation could be truer to the books . . . although that's not to say that it necessarily would be.

As a full series , It has huge possibilities.:cool:

Hmm! I'll reserve judgement on that until I've watched all of Seasons 1-9 and the three spin-off TV movies. ;)

Hmm! I'll reserve judgement on that until I've watched all of Seasons 1-9 and the three spin-off TV movies. ;)

Aren't there actually six "books" in the trilogy? So there could easily be seven if they include the Hobbit in season one.

Yes! There's nothing I want more when it comes to fantasy than more LOTR.

Adore the movies. Return of the King was on yesterday and as always the ending made me tear up.

The music and dialogue at the end are epic and fitting.

v

Christpoher Tolkien has stepped down as Trustee of the Tolkien estate which has most likely facilitated this new move. It is possible we may see work developed from Silmarillion and the other parts of JRRT's work that is not covered by the LoTR and Hobbit rights.

It looks like the TV series will be about the the interval between The Hobbit and the events in LOTR. In other words it will be a pile of cack!

Well, there is 30 minutes on what happened to Smeagol (which Peter Jackson could probably expand into a full 90 minutes) but other than that, yes, just a pile.

If the estate simply accepted Christopher T’s rendition of The Silmarillion as canonical then that is where you have a very long running and terrific TV show, if they remain true to the material.

Also you could follow it up with the Second Age and the Third Age. I’d just love to see them do the fall of Arnor and the war with Angmar...

If the estate simply accepted Christopher T’s rendition of The Silmarillion as canonical then that is where you have a very long running and terrific TV show, if they remain true to the material.

Also you could follow it up with the Second Age and the Third Age. I’d just love to see them do the fall of Arnor and the war with Angmar...

I agree , there are lots of story telling possibilities here.:cool:

I don't understand what the other four maps are for. Are they showing various phases of development?

Edit: And another thing, I always thought that Numenor was further North

Last edited:
And another thing, I always thought that Numenor was further North

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for it to be there, to me. It says in the Silmarillion that the Edain sailed west to reach it (from Eriador, one assumes), not southwest. Also, Numenor is quite close to Tol Erresea, which means that the Noldor would have had a march of about 2000 miles to get from the seizing of the Teleri ships to the crossing of the grinding ice. Though the Silmarillion doesn't say how far they walked, that seems way too much.

ETA: A Tolkien Bestiary by David Day places it level with Gondor.

Last edited:
Did I read somewhere that the budget for the series is in the region of 1billion dollars or am I imagining that.

It appears that former rumors to the contrary, they are now announcing that the story will take place during the second age. I wonder will we see the fall of Numenor?

It'll be interesting to see how they do it, but I so hope they don't mess it up! I do love though that they're going back to the second age and the rise of Sauron rather than jumping straight into the Hobbit/LotR timeline. Would also love to see someone do a series like this with Morgoth and all the rest of the Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales, but that might be too large of an undertaking.