Novella Idea: Societies separated by disease

James River

Hi, I'm James, I enjoy writing but have never written anything more that a short story. I have this idea that I hope to write as two novellas or a novella trilogy, but I have no clue how to approach it.

The idea is after scientists successfully cure a form of cancer, they create a vaccine to cure Type 1 diabetes by weakening the immune system to not destroy insulin. The vaccine is extremely successful, and because of the simple process of production very cheap. Diabetics all around America are cured. Soon after many diabetics die to infections and what not. The Scientists realize that the vaccine continues to weaken the immune system at a gradual rate that is is undetectable until it becomes critical. At the same time, the diabetics become incredibly intelligent, due to a dormant anomaly found in the diabetic illness that is triggered by the vaccine. Soon after the discovery, a team of biologists and engineers affected by the illness create an environment that the post diabetics can live in. Post diabetics flock to Atlanta, adopting the name "Atlantians" and the normal people leave, since they can't live in the conditions. 5 decades later the city is facing overpopulation and so the mayor of Atlanta (A post diabetic) initiates the decade long plan of Atlantians leaving to the last pure place on earth: the depths of the ocean, with thecity called New Atlantis.

I need guidance on an antagonist and protagonist, and also to further explain the "anomaly"
please comment any suggestions that come to mind.

Thanks,
-James River

Hi James, and welcome to Chrons.

You really need input from folks with a better knowledge of biology, but to my little physicist's brain, your outline of Type 1 diabetes and a vaccine cure seems off. My understanding is that in type 1, an autoimmune response destroys the pancreatic cells which produce insulin, so once the damage is done, suppressing the immune response does not reverse the condition. Maybe people would go for a preventative and take something which would weaken their immune system just in case they were at risk of type 1 diabetes, but my own reaction would be 'not if I don't need it' and I probably do carry genetic risk factors as my mother was diabetic.

Good luck with the story... and there's bound to be a biologist along shortly.(y)

Hi James, and welcome to Chrons.

You really need input from folks with a better knowledge of biology, but to my little physicist's brain, your outline of Type 1 diabetes and a vaccine cure seems off. My understanding is that in type 1, an autoimmune response destroys the pancreatic cells which produce insulin, so once the damage is done, suppressing the immune response does not reverse the condition. Maybe people would go for a preventative and take something which would weaken their immune system just in case they were at risk of type 1 diabetes, but my own reaction would be 'not if I don't need it' and I probably do carry genetic risk factors as my mother was diabetic.

Good luck with the story... and there's bound to be a biologist along shortly.(y)
Yeah, my mother is diabetic so I have a rough uunderstanding of how it is, thank you for informing me of this. (I hope that biologist replies soon XD)

Hi and welcome. But no... I'm not a biologist.

My question back would be: Is it really necessary to the story to detail the way the cure works? I've often heard (in movies, at least): "Simply put, it defeats the... etc... which leads to a complete cure!" Very little detail is given, and thus no one can come back and say, "Hah! That's impossible!"

Just a thought...

You might be better off having the doctor be the Protagonist and the Antagonist since his cure leads to something worse.
However the isolation of people would work better if it were forced and perhaps an alteration in the something worse. Meaning that it adversely affects people around them rather than themselves (people close to them die--a lot, or something like that). They get segregated; however their numbers grow; perhaps because the only cure for those affected by proximity to them is to take the 'cure' and be like the others. And then have it work out that the affect effect is radiating further and further outward from their city until, to be safe, large areas around the city have to be cordoned off for neither side to go into.

This all leads to people wanting to nuke the overpopulated city that must then find a solution that leads to the undersea fortress.

I couldn't tell you about the immunology side of things, but my interest was piqued by the isolationist angle.

Could a society today really be completely physically isolated from everyone else?

I also suggest you read about Eyam, the plague village in Derbyshire for your research: The Eyam Plague

Hi James, and welcome to Chrons!

It sounds as if you've done a lot of world-building at the expense of character definition. You say you're a fairly inexperienced writer, and it's a fairly common approach for new writers to take. That doesn't mean it can't work, but you may find yourself painted into a corner if you're too prescriptive with your plot to start with.

But, as you have your plot pretty well defined, I'd suggest doing a brainstorm of the sort of challenges your new world might bring. Scientific challenges, social challenges, economic challenges, and think of a few characters who will have to deal with those challenges, and the problems they will face in doing so. One of those problems will be your antagonist. An antagonist doesn't have to be an evil madman or anything, just somebody (or something) that wants something that is diametrically opposed to what your protagonist wants, or prevents them from getting it. For example, if your character wants to change the world, your antagonist most likely be something / someone who wants to maintain the status quo. I won't be overly prescriptive with ideas - this is your world - but hopefully this exercise might get you started.

please comment any suggestions that come to mind.

Sounds like you're at the beginning of your writing journey - in which case, you'll need to be patient and expect it to take years to do properly. Also, read Wonderbook and/or watch Brandon Sanderson's writing lectures on YouTube (all of them!), as they'll help clue you in on the technicalities of what you need to know. Also, be aware that your idea is interesting, but it's not so much the plot as much as the setting - the plot will be driven by the needs of the protagonist(s) being blocked by the interests of the antagonist(s).

And welcome to the chrons forum. :)