Featured TV Series Section

1. Cli-Fi

Cli-Fi John J. Falco

can we keep the featured TV Series section more updated? I see shows that have running threads like Timeless, The Orville, The Last Ship, Stranger Things, Electric Dreams, Humans and Westworld get huge replies and some of the older featured TV shows haven't had a posting in over a year!!! Let's get with the times.

Featured TV shows to me seems like it should be something that's new, current, and popular!

Nov 3, 2017
    HanaBi likes this.
  2. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

We make forums for shows when enough interest is there (and I'm talking here only about the number of posts and threads.) Generally , there needs to be enough to have threads for individual episodes. Nothing looks worse than forums with episode threads with zero posts. However, it is often a chicken and egg, or a cart before the horse thing. We can't predict which shows will be popular here. It often doesn't correspond with the number of viewers either, or with the hype before the season starts. I have also created new forums and then had the series immediately cancelled. It is difficult to make a guess and we often aren't very good at it.

I don't think featured shows have to be current, just still being discussed. There are probably some more that can be moved away from "featured." It is something that we do periodically discuss. Your input would be appreciated if you made suggestions to me. I will certainly take a look at some of the featured forums again. Anything without a post for more than 18 months should probably be moved to the "Other TV series" forum instead.

As for the creation of new forums, I just created a forum for Killjoys. I think Timeless would be next, once it is back on screens again. The jury might be out on The Orville. I don't think that the other shows you mention have enough posts. As always, please create more threads and encourage others to post in them. If there really is a great interest then create a new thread for a great episode or a character, rather than add to an existing long thread. This also helps me later as thread splitting is difficult to do.

As is the case with Book Authors, the lack of a forum isn't a comment on the worthiness of these TV shows. It is purely a way to manage the website and make it more easily navigable.

Nov 25, 2017
    Cli-Fi likes this.
  3. Alexa

Alexa traveller space dreamer

We will have more traffic on Killjoys next year, once they come back with S4 and S5.

Nov 25, 2017
    Lex E. Darion likes this.
  4. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

I'm considering The Last Ship with Brian and the Mods. It isn't something I have seen myself, but it looks like I missed how popular it was. Other shows are always under consideration, but creating a forum does not (in my long experience) produce more posts, it just helps people find threads more easily. I would place Into the Badlands higher than some of your other suggestions.

Nov 25, 2017
  5. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

It's best to think of the chrons boards like a library indexing system - we create boards where there's an apparent need due to multiple threads about the same thing.

There have been a couple of attempts to drum up interest in specific TV shows over the years by creating threads for each episode, as they are aired. The trouble is, there tends to be only a handful of chronners who ever watch a particular show, so the extra threads really don't really generate anything in the way of extra discussion.

There are a few popular shows that appear to have their own dedicated threads, and they seem to be doing fine - the problem in trying to break these down into individual threads for a new featured board is:

a) discussions about episodes can often overlap,
    b) threads tend to contain spoilers, which can be annoying for those mods watching the show,
    c) splitting up big active threads into little ones can actually strangle the conversation - it's easy to discuss an overall show in its own context in a single thread - but when threads are split into episode-only ones, it tends to reduce the discussion because there's not really a wider context for discussion offered.

I've also said before that I'm planning to move away from dedicated boards in some areas, and instead replace them with the tagging system. However, I'm waiting to see what the tagging system on the new forum software upgrade will look like, first, and see what sort of flexibility that offers us.

Hope that helps. :)

Nov 25, 2017
    Harpo likes this.