Discussion -- November 2017 -- 75 Word Challenge

Nice to see another poetical entry, we seem to be a rare breed most months!
Actually, between May 2015 and September of this year almost all my offerings were in verse (I wouldn't dare go so far as to claim they were poetry) Even the August one where I managed to get in first, to save my lousy pun (seventy-five words that scan and hold a rhyme pattern in less than half an hour? My brain exploded). So unprosaic submissions have been fairly continuous. But circus, or weird Western, seem to have drawn out a greater selection than usual.

Oh,and many thanks to Victoria, Parson and Shyrka for the reviews; it's always nice to see what others get out of one's words, even when (commonly in verse) it isn't quite what we thought we were putting in.

Last edited:
Last Rodeo Night, @Antimon – A reluctant rodeo clown must face his most terrifying opponent yet. It’s usually a red rag that arouses the bull, not a red nose.

Sideshow Sanctuary, @Starbeast – The line between monster and freak show super-star is wafer thin in this disturbing tale of a creature who binges on bottled bambinos.

Shortfellow percussion (for Wa’ds worth), @chrispenycate – A story of an train-bourne eldritch carnival that transcends time and space, this poem is rich with classical inspiration.

The Fatal Attraction of Fast Food, @Kerrybuchanan – The story of a ‘clown’ that doesn’t love kids, other than to eat. You need to be quick on the draw to catch that kind of food.

Breaking the Chains, @Joshua Jones – Enslaved by circus-running dinosaurs, a young man is forced to build the very railroad that transports them when salvation comes from an unlikely, yet familiar, quarter.

The Freak Show, @Ajid – A whimsical rhyme about an outlandish place, full of weird and wonderful (yet seemingly friendly) creatures. Come on in and enjoy the show but beware, they believe in audience participation...

Come See, @paranoid marvin – Another poetic entry that details a carnival of classic cowboy carnage. Relive their war against the indigenous peoples but beware, it is very realistic.
Great review @Shyrka! Thanks for doing these.

@paranoid marvin .... Come See .... Let's us hear a poetic circus barker, whose pitch lines are not only informative and entertaining. They also include a prophetic warning.

@DelActivisto .... Insanity .... In this story we see how clowns strike some people as creepy, while still others see them as nothing short of insane. This story made me hear a maniacal laugh in the background.

@Glen & @paranoid marvin & @Ajid - Hi guys!!!!

Sideshow Sanctuary, @Starbeast – The line between monster and freak show super-star is wafer thin in this disturbing tale of a creature who binges on bottled bambinos.

Thank you for the cool comment, Shyrka. I do enjoy blurring the line, and crossing the line as well. :D

As for your story, One of Our Own, I wanted more. I wanted to know what happens next. Creepy cool man.

Last edited:
I wrote two stories, very different to each other in tone and have finally taken the plung with one of them. No way of knowing if its the better of the two (or maybe that should be the least rubbish) but after the vote I am going to tell myself that the other one would have been the winner! :whistle:

I wrote two stories, very different to each other in tone and have finally taken the plung with one of them. No way of knowing if its the better of the two (or maybe that should be the least rubbish) but after the vote I am going to tell myself that the other one would have been the winner! :whistle:

plung? where is the edit button? :eek:

edited: I see it but I am guessing it times out!

Yeah, non-mods have an hour to edit before it's locked, I think.

Insanity, @DelActivisto – It’s hard to be a clown – expected to smile, to dance, to sing, all on demand when you’re not really feeling it inside. Sometimes it’s all just too much...

Angeni, @Peter V – A eerie yet touching story of a ghostly girl, torn from her old life (literally) who finds her home with a travelling circus, and a young man who believes the price of her company is well worth paying.

@Peter V .... Angeni .... Brings us a tender tale of the longing for a home and a reasonable evaluation of the value of life.

Peter, is this your first entry? Certainly the first in quite a while. This was a sweet story. Well done.

@Peter V .... Angeni .... Brings us a tender tale of the longing for a home and a reasonable evaluation of the value of life.

Peter, is this your first entry? Certainly the first in quite a while. This was a sweet story. Well done.

Thank you for your review and for the comment. It is appreciated.

I post regularly but usually my tales are darker. Oh and I have changed my Avatar so maybe I look like a newbie :)

Thank you for your review and for the comment. It is appreciated.

I post regularly but usually my tales are darker. Oh and I have changed my Avatar so maybe I look like a newbie :)

Parson shakes his head, slinks off, muttering "I'm getting old senile." ---- But I really did like your story.

Insanity, @DelActivisto – It’s hard to be a clown – expected to smile, to dance, to sing, all on demand when you’re not really feeling it inside. Sometimes it’s all just too much...

Angeni, @Peter V – A eerie yet touching story of a ghostly girl, torn from her old life (literally) who finds her home with a travelling circus, and a young man who believes the price of her company is well worth paying.

Thank you for this lovely review Shyrka

Parson shakes his head, slinks off, muttering "I'm getting old senile." ---- But I really did like your story.

In fairness I am not exactly prolific on these boards and rarely confrontational so I sit quietly under the radar... and I am most definitely amused and not in the slightest offended Parson (y)

@Mith .... The Six Guns Shooter .... When the carnival comes to town everyone has their favorite and it's hard to beat someone with six guns. Smile little girl.

Back