Discussion -- November 2017 -- 75 Word Challenge

Well, this will be interesting, seeing as I have never written anything in a "weird" genre, never written anything circus related, and have absolutely no idea what are the norms for this genre. Oh Google...

Well, this will be interesting, seeing as I have never written anything in a "weird" genre, and have absolutely no idea what are the norms for this genre.

It's just basically a Western with elements of Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Horror, which gives us all a lot of room to operate. (Also, keeping in mind that at the period popularized in the classic Western, anything west of the Mississippi counted as "the wild west" -- Dodge City, for instance, to mention but one classic location, is in Kansas, right smack in the middle of the continental USA.)

It's just basically a Western with elements of Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Horror, which gives us all a lot of room to operate. (Also, keeping in mind that at the period popularized in the classic Western, anything west of the Mississippi counted as "the wild west" -- Dodge City, for instance, to mention but one classic location, is in Kansas, right smack in the middle of the continental USA.)
Thanks; that is most helpful. Does it necessarily need to be set in the American West, or would something like Firefly count?

Reactions: Vaz
"Weird Western" makes me think of things like "Wild Wild West", "Cowboys vs. Aliens", etc. Hopefully that's not too shy of the mark.

Just read the first two and the bar has been set really high. I mean, seriously high. Fantastic start

What the flipping heck?
Circus mixed with Weird Western is a genius move. Possibly slightly evil genius :p, but genius nevertheless.

So this has thrown me. Fun idea though. I'll be entering early this month as me and the good lady are off to Mexico on holiday on Sunday.

So this has thrown me. Fun idea though. I'll be entering early this month as me and the good lady are off to Mexico on holiday on Sunday.

Where you off to Azzagorn? My wife and I really love the Caribbean coast of Mexico

@Ashleyne .... Where the Ugly Things Are .... The carnival midway has been said to be a freak show, Ashleyne shows us that it could be more true than we think.

I'm kinda confused by the genre, I've actually never read anything of that kind, will try to write something anyway...

I'm kinda confused by the genre, I've actually never read anything of that kind, will try to write something anyway...
We've had it a couple of times before, and my take on it was to have something set in the Wild West with realistic characters in very unrealistic -- not to say downright bizarre! -- situations, though how that fits in with more learned definitions I don't know! Anyhow, have a read through the previous entries here and here which might help give you an idea of how it's been handled in the past.

As The Judge says, we have form for this genre. There's a decent enough Wiki page about it, here.
And, Wynonna Earp is Weird West set in the present day, which is another reason for me to like the subgenre - love that show!

Most of all, good luck with whatever you choose to write.

@Bashfull .... The Second Coming .... reminds us that more than Douglas MacArthur can plan to return and actually do it.

Nice maiden voyage Bashfull. I enjoyed the circus take on the genre. Well done.

@dannymcg .... All Night Long .... gives us a whole new appreciation for a singer who plays through the scheduled break.

If that story's not Weird Western, I don't what would be!

Back