Level 30 Geek Master
-----------------------------
Creating topic, remember you
can only discuss this episode
inside this topic. Reviews of
the episode are encouraged
-----------------------------

First 10/29/17 (Su.) 8:30 PM CBSAA

A rather "cutesy" episode - more like a Mudd one.

Nice to see a bit of romance, though (don't tell the guys I said that)!

Oh, and @Parson ? No f-bombs or other non-family signals! :)

I loved this episode and I'll watch it again, that's for sure ! (Don't worry ! Your secret is safe with me. ;))

Shouldn't day add a note in the log that NEVER, EVER let Mudd on board ?

Did anyone else think Dale Arden? "Tyler, Tyler, I love you, but we only have thirty minutes to save the ship!"

Time Loops? The old GroundHog idea is a little bit overdone, especially by Star Trek, however, it is a useful way to get relationships begun and secrets revealed, without anything actually happening, and for people to remain in denial. And it is apparently amusing to see people die in multiple different ways.

Still, I thought it was a good, light diversion, between the meatier episodes that came before it. They may be in danger of overusing Mudd, but it seems he has been taken out of commission for the moment.

We have been discussing in The Orville (trek-like comedy series) how the constant references to 21st Century pop culture are most unlikely in 400 years time. They almost can get away with it because it is comedy. No such excuses here. Apparently the party like it's 2299 music of the future will be Wyclef Jean sampling The Bee Gees' Stayin' Alive. I seriously doubt it. The Beer Pong is much more likely.

Certainly a light and fairly enjoyable episode. That's appropriate with a character like Mudd. Yeah, there was a lot of well worn ideas here, but they weren't terribly done.

I was thinking that it was pretty strange that music hadn't advanced in two centuries as well @Dave. And can anyone explain why they insist on running around the hub of Discovery? They have a holodeck of sorts and treadmill must be pretty sweet by now.

Was Mudd’s Goodbye Mon Capitan a nod to Q?
The years were not kind to Stella, she really aged in ten years or so.

Last edited:
I was thinking that it was pretty strange that music hadn't advanced in two centuries as well @Dave. And can anyone explain why they insist on running around the hub of Discovery? They have a holodeck of sorts and treadmill must be pretty sweet by now.

Probably a throwback to how Navy Sailors do PT on their ships. At least in this series they actually do PT.

Was Mudd’s Goodbye Mon Capitan a nod to Q?
The years were not kind to Stella, she really aged in ten years or so.

I said in the other Mudd episode that Mudd was going to be a secondary Q-like Villain. Him showing up on the ship with time-bending crystals was perfect!

A rather "cutesy" episode - more like a Mudd one.

Nice to see a bit of romance, though (don't tell the guys I said that)!

Oh, and @Parson ? No f-bombs or other non-family signals! :)

I liked this episode, although the timing for a relationship based episode was a little unfortunate due to Rapp's personal issues with his real life: 'Star Trek' actor Anthony Rapp accuses Kevin Spacey of making sexual advance toward him at 14 but... It was still a good one, and showed us that the crew can have fun.

The music was very well done except for the 21st century stuff as noted. If you want to do music do it right and stick with Classic Rock!

Poor Lorca, he looked so bored this whole episode. He had that, "I want to kill something," look on his face. I loved how he didn't care about the creature who was getting him off track of his personal agenda. Shows that some people aren't going to be all idealistic and helpful to alien cultures. No matter what the rules say, some people don't have that personality.

I do think it's odd though that in these time loop episodes Star Trek does, there is always a convenient way to figure out how many minutes are left in the loop. TNG did that better, but still. There was no explanation except Stamets exists out of time. Well then, why would he even care?

Mudd is the perfect Q replacement, but there's no reasons why Q can't show himself either.

Maybe Lorca didn't appreciate Mudd killing him and several times in this episode.

They explained Stamets previous experiment with the spores helped him stay away from the looping time. I really liked him in this episode. He was so cute helping Michael and Tyler realise how they felt about each other. :D

Not necessarily, but I do believe Tyler is doomed.
I don't believe the spy thing (the Klingons are playing too many short games to be running such a long game at the same time.)

However, there is something we are not being told about Tyler. He is just too nice; too good. Handsome, loyal, respectful, compassionate, honest, patient, kind, determined, courageous... nobody is that perfect!

I don't believe the spy thing (the Klingons are playing too many short games to be running such a long game at the same time.)

However, there is something we are not being told about Tyler. He is just too nice; too good. Handsome, loyal, respectful, compassionate, honest, patient, kind, determined, courageous... nobody is that perfect!

Speak for yourself! ;)

Looks exacly like someone every girl would want to marry one day.;)

Look at it this way instead: if he doesn't have some dark secrets in his past, then he is the only member of the crew (except for the Cadet) who doesn't.

Back