'Oumuamua: First extrasolar object spotted?

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
It has never been meaningfully photographed. I for one am hesitant to let the narrative be dictated by a quick and early "artists impression".
I have said before that I do not believe biological life can cross interstellar distances, appealing as the idea maybe.
Robotics and space junk are something else though. I think if we see another one it will almost certainly be a natural entity. If we never see anything like it again the book is somewhat more open.

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Okay so I'm an intelligent extraterrestial and I'm sending a probe off through the galaxy. With all my super advanced technology I still think it's going to be a good idea to have it tumbling end over end; that should make any futuristic drive really easy to design. The original ET speculation suggested a solar sail so fine we couldn't detect it*, so obviously the best object to tether to such a sail is a long tumbling object. Of course!

Yet for a solar sail to work would we not be able to see it's lit side really clearly as it departs the solar system?

Ori Vandewalle

I for one am hesitant to let the narrative be dictated by a quick and early "artists impression".

Agreed. I don't think we should take the cigar shape too seriously. The object has a very weird lightcurve, and one interpretation is an elongated, tumbling cigar, but it's only that--an interpretation.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I still think it's going to be a good idea to have it tumbling end over end; that should make any futuristic drive really easy to design.
To produce artificial gravity by centripetal force?

NB. I'm not saying this is a spacecraft, just that I could see a spacecraft rotating, and I could also see a large spacecraft being hewed from a huge rock/iceberg.

Except that it would need to rotate much more quickly to produce enough centripetal force. So, such a ship would not be a cigar shape but the more classic spinning top UFO shape.