8.01: The Walking Dead - Mercy

ctg

weaver of the unseen
dzo5VUX.jpg

Rick and Maggie (Photo by Gene Page/AMC)

Rick and his group, along with the Kingdom and Hilltop, have banded together to bring the fight to Negan and the Saviors.

This episode is first extended episode of this season. It's 47 minutes long, without any commercials.

Explosive -- in every sense of the word, with more of the same promised in the next several episodes.
Fans were advised to install couch seat belts (and invest in a package of Negan's special adult diapers) in the 100th anniversary show that followed the opener. :LOL:

Reactions: ctg
Explosive -- in every sense of the word, with more of the same promised in the next several episodes.

Fans were advised to install couch seat belts (and invest in a package of Negan's special adult diapers) in the 100th anniversary show that followed the opener. :LOL:

Man, that was good. And you're right, explosive from the beginning to the very end. I'd say a spectacular start for The Walking Dead. It is also good to see them finally making the dead a thread again. They were on the back fence most of the last season, but throughout the FTWD they are even more threatening.

Thing is, we have no idea how big that horde is as they didn't give us a proper look, but I estimate it being in thousands, maybe twenty thousand at the max. Certainly not in hundred thousand even though I believe the Washington DC could supply that number. So when Negan shouted: "Do you have numbers right, Rick?" I shouted to him: "You have no idea."

Negan as far we know stayed most of the time in and around the US capital, while Nick has ventured from the South and seeing how Terminus and the Governor used the dead for their advantage. Not talking about the wolves. Using traditional methods this war would last forever, but with the dead swarming the Saviour compound, the game has turned. Much to Rick's advantage.

It would have been a mercy for Gabriel to fall, when the dead arrived. In Negan's hand Padra isn't in the best place to save anyone. I shouted at him: "No Padra, that ain't your sheep," when he climbed out from the technical, trying to save Gregory.

He is the wolf wearing sheep clothing, and his death in the hands of the dead would have righteous down to last letter. But what kills the devil? Nothing it seems. So if you want to show your wrath for him getting out Slipping Jim, go ahead. I'm not going to save him.

Nor Dr Evil for showing his face as one of Negan's Lieutenants.

I thought about Abraham when they gathered at the field to listen Rick's speech. He would have felt so right for this fight, and I bet, he would have loved every second of it. So it's a shame we have to remember him getting smashed year ago, and we losing so many important people as a result for Rick cocking up things.

I hope you'll like the turns of events as it looks like the Old Man Rick is entering in this world. So, let me ask you this, does Rick's dream mean there is going to be peace in the Ricknation? Can they carve a prosperous nation at the ruins of the old world and start again?

I was surprised to see Enid in the attack party but Michonne and Rosetta left behind.

Michonne is hurt and Rosetta is too hot headed at the moment. Enid is much calmer and as capable, if she puts her mind into it.

What a waste of bullets. I like the idea of surrounding the Saviours with walkers (though how that will make the 'innocent' Saviours feel about Rick's group, I'm not sure...), but I just couldn't help but think all those bullets they just sprayed might come in handy pretty soon.

And if Rick ws going to just start firing regardless, why not have a sharpshooter take out Negan? He was right there, for crying out loud. Also, if I was Gabriel and I heard Negan start speaking, I'd have just sprayed that end of the room. Maybe he'd wasted all his bullets on the windows, though...

Tense episode otherwise. I like the little black ops team of Darryl, Carol, Morgan and Tara.

And if Rick ws going to just start firing regardless, why not have a sharpshooter take out Negan? He was right there, for crying out loud. Also, if I was Gabriel and I heard Negan start speaking, I'd have just sprayed that end of the room. Maybe he'd wasted all his bullets on the windows, though...

This was the biggest failing of the episode. If Rick's opening sermon was serious, he or all of them would have taken Negan out the second he stepped outside.

But then the writers would have had to come up with a fresh storyline...

There was a good epic feeling to the speechmaking. It set the the tone for the episode.

I agree on the waste of bullets. Although the heavy concentrated fire would have sown plenty of fear into Negan's people and doubts about his leadership.

The only gripe of the episode for me was the shifting timeline and the dream sequence. TWD does this too often for it to be overly effective.

I stopped worrying about their ammo, when Carl lost his eye and they thought it was a good thing to use all that RGP ammo. Eugene gave the ammo recipe away. He thought he was going to die. So, while they made all those moving walls for their vehicles, they could have as well cooked up some ammo for all we know. The end of last season saw very liberal use of that same ammunition and the amount they've shot before would have overwhelmed Alexandria's armoury long time ago. So stop worrying and enjoy the drama.

he only gripe of the episode for me was the shifting timeline and the dream sequence.

It will become all clear at the end of this season.

I think they made a mistake when they shot the window shooting as that rattle should have carried over the ambush site at the town similar way to the battlefield sounds. But then again the zombie growling should have been louder as well, just as they showed in the FTWD with the Ranch horde. That ten thousand head strong herd could be heard miles away. And Troy used the sound of explosions to lead the dead, just like the Ninja gang did with their packages. The three shot volley before Rick's speech should have carried all the way to town as mark they were starting their bit for the action.

Did anyone noticed that the Dale's bus got an explosive sent off? Is it going to make back or was that the final for it?

Is it wrong to say that was one of my favourite scenes.:D

No. It went out spectacularly.

FnD3oPR.jpg

The glorious remains of Dale's bus. It got a proper Viking funeral. Notice also that the door to the main compound is open in this shot.

Some Walking Dead fans have fairly pointed out that Rick's ultimatum to the Saviors squandered an opportunity to shoot Negan down for good. However, showrunner Scott M. Gimple has an explanation for the strange choice in tactic, which he shared with THR:

"What shouldn't be glossed over is Rick is offering surrender to everyone else. He wants them to, more or less, be on his side after that. If he just shot Negan there, that would have been a shortcut to the war. He was making a play to not be in full violence with these people because you see what happens after that. The next step for everybody is pretty heavy and intense. If in fact Negan's other lieutenants had given up, it would have been over."
'Walking Dead' Showrunner Explains Why Rick Didn't Just Kill Negan

Did anyone noticed that the Dale's bus got an explosive sent off? Is it going to make back or was that the final for it?

Pretty sure Dale's RV didn't make it off the farm. I've seen this mentioned in a few episode reviews, and a lot of comments saying that that RV is actually the one Aaron was using for his recruitment tours.

EDIT: Just found this: How RVs Are The Walking Dead's Secret Plot Weapon.

Pretty sure Dale's RV didn't make it off the farm. I've seen this mentioned in a few episode reviews, and a lot of comments saying that that RV is actually the one Aaron was using for his recruitment tours.

Just an inside joke. I bet AMC has got pretty good deal on those RV's as that model has been in Breaking Bad and FTWD. Actually in the horde attack to the Ranch, you can see three of them at same time. One of them gets turned over.

But would you believe that they actually save hero vehicles for the auctions? Dale's original vehicle should have been saved for later day and mockup's would have been destroyed.

Last edited:
Great episode, but...
What a waste of bullets.
They can now make their own, but they are still too valuable to shoot randomly.
This was the biggest failing of the episode. If Rick's opening sermon was serious, he or all of them would have taken Negan out the second he stepped outside.
I agree. Take out Negan and many of the Saviours would give up. Not all the Lieutenants, but those people who haven't had any other choice.
The only gripe of the episode for me was the shifting timeline and the dream sequence. TWD does this too often for it to be overly effective.
I saw two "dreams," or two possible flash-forward futures. Either one, or even both could become true.
It will become all clear at the end of this season.
I gathered that, but as @svalbard says, it is an overused plot device by TWD. I'd rather see the story unfold in real time than have these twisted spoilers about the end of each season.

I gathered that, but as @svalbard says, it is an overused plot device by TWD. I'd rather see the story unfold in real time than have these twisted spoilers about the end of each season.

Yeah. When I read the thing first time, there was no fast forwards. Nothing to indicate about what's going to happen. In that way FF's are spoilers.

They can now make their own, but they are still too valuable to shoot randomly.

Can they, though? Eugene made one bullet, and not a particularly good one at that, and now he's with Negan. I don't recall anyone else having the skills or resources necessary to make hundreds, if not thousands, of automatic rifle rounds, unless I missed something.

Can they, [make bullets] though? Eugene made one bullet, and not a particularly good one at that, and now he's with Negan.
True, and we don't see anyone making bullets. However, if that were not the case, then I think they would have run out already. I know there is an average of two guns per household in the USA, but even so, we've seen a lot of shooting in the last seven years. On the other hand, they are still finding tin cans of food too. We also don't see people preparing food, making arrows, mending clothes and repairing shoes or tools. In that respect, like the lack of any wild animals, this show is unrealistic. Those things just aren't exciting enough. Although, an attack by a pack of wild dogs would be quite exciting.

Reactions: ctg
True, and we don't see anyone making bullets. However, if that were not the case, then I think they would have run out already. I know there is an average of two guns per household in the USA, but even so, we've seen a lot of shooting in the last seven years. On the other hand, they are still finding tin cans of food too. We also don't see people preparing food, making arrows, mending clothes and repairing shoes or tools. In that respect, like the lack of any wild animals, this show is unrealistic. Those things just aren't exciting enough. Although, an attack by a pack of wild dogs would be quite exciting.

I guess for me there's degrees of believability. Still finding cans of food I can deal with. Mending clothes, repairing shoes and tools, these things are fairly straightforward, and most anybody could do or learn to do them. The lack of wild animals I can put down to the millions of ravenous zombies now roaming the fields, which we've seen attack horses and deer and so on (although there should be more birds about).

The bullets, though, are just one of those things where I think the writers are just being lazy and can't be bothered being consistent.