Possible future changes to chrons

1. Harpo

Harpo HO HO HO

Ah, I didn't know that - thank you Brian!

Nov 5, 2017
  2. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

It's okay, neither did I. :)

Nov 5, 2017
  3. 2DaveWixon

2DaveWixon Shocked and Appalled!

I did know that, having stumbled on that feature accidentally sometime last year. But I forgot about it, and didn't even recognize I knew it until it was explained in detail...
    Useless, aren't I?

Nov 5, 2017
  4. Amelia Faulkner

Amelia Faulkner Well-Known Member

Not remotely <3

Nov 6, 2017
    Cat's Cradle likes this.
  5. Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

The number of posts is not always accurate.

For instance, it states that I've posted five times in the Limerick Conundrum! thread (I have more posts than that in the first three pages) and only 62 in the 6 word story thread (in which I thought I'd posted hundreds of times**).

** - I recall my post count plummeting when that thread was moved from the Writing Forums to The Lounge (where posts aren't "counted" posts).

Nov 6, 2017
  6. Harpo

Harpo HO HO HO

I've just checked, and apparently I've never posted in any of the pre-Cracked Pot tea room threads, which is as unlikely as claiming that Ursa has never made a pun :D

Nov 7, 2017
    Parson, Ursa major and dannymcg like this.
  7. 2DaveWixon

2DaveWixon Shocked and Appalled!

I'll try...er, softer!

Nov 8, 2017
    Amelia Faulkner likes this.
  8. Harpo

Harpo HO HO HO

Is the upgrade happening now? I just had a message saying Chrons is being upgraded.
    Or is my tablet being silly?

Dec 6, 2017
  9. Brian G Turner

Apologies, just a routine software upgrade. However, as it was a security upgrade I didn't want to wait until the weekend to apply it.

Dec 6, 2017
    dannymcg, Dave and Parson like this.
  10. Harpo

Harpo HO HO HO

OK, thank you Brian :)

Dec 6, 2017
  11. dannymcg

dannymcg Well-Known Member

This keeps popping up on YouTube links in forums for the last hour or so (since the security updates)

net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Edit: Logging out then logging back in did the trick. All links now work OK. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Dec 6, 2017
  12. Brian G Turner

That sounds like a YouTube issue - presumably now fixed?

Dec 7, 2017
  13. dannymcg

Fine yeah. Could have been YouTube yeah

Dec 7, 2017
  14. Brian G Turner

In case anyone's interested, I've spent the past few days making an additional style for the forums - possibly the main one for new visitors.

If you'd like a sneak peak, click on the style chooser link at the bottom left of the forums - it will currently read as SFFchronicles - change it to SFFchronicles 1.5.

A few pointers:
    • it's not finished yet
    • I want to add custom sidebars to most pages on chrons, not least to include the tagcloud across the reading section of the forums. However, there are a few bugs to deal with first. NOTE that members who don't want a sidebar on every page can click on the hide sidebar link (the small playback icon towards the top right of the forum list on the homepage),
    • the "Members Online" will show member avatars instead of usernames - as with the above, I'm looking to implement this only on the new theme if I can,
    • I think the new theme works better on mobile than the others we have - feel free to test that out
    • I'm not still entirely sold on it - there's a simplicity I like, but it possibly needs more colour. However, the more I use it the more I like it,
    Also, nothing's set in stone - I just wanted to let everyone know what I'm doing, and why the forums have been acting a little strange of late while I tweak various settings. :)

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    HanaBi and Harpo like this.
  15. HoopyFrood

HoopyFrood Have brain, will travel

Whoa, that's very different on mobile. But I agree that's it's the most mobile-friendly I've seen so far, so I'm a fan.

Dec 11, 2017 at 9:21 PM
    Brian G Turner likes this.
  16. The Judge

The Judge Truth. Order. Moderation. Staff Member

Gosh, that is different. Very clean-looking.

I do like the colours and the larger standard font here in the posts, and the fact the highlighted menu at the top is now in lower case. I also like that the "Draft saved" thing that comes up is in bold, so it's more easily seen.

One thing I'm not so keen on, if I hover the cursor over eg my "Alerts" the wording fades instead of being highlighted, which is a bit discomflomerating. Can you make them change colour instead, as eg the "POST REPLY" box does?

One other thing I'm in two minds about is I wonder if the font on the top menu and the SFF logo and verbiage -- especially the bit under CHRONICLES -- ought to be a tad bigger.

NB What's this "badge of honour" that you're offering newbies? Can I haz one?! :)

EDIT: just realised, people's locations have disappeared, though mine is still there for some reason. I like having the locations where members have filled them in, so I'd like that to be reinstated if poss.

And just thought, if only avatars show on the front page for the members online, it will make things difficult in knowing who is around, as a good many members still use the default option and some other avatars might not be well known, and if members frequently change them it's going to add yet more confusion. Plus surely having the avatars will take up more room than the usernames unless they're tiny, which will itself make life difficult. I'd prefer to keep the names, myself.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    Dec 11, 2017 at 9:44 PM
  17. Ihe

Ihe Forum Revolutionary

I gotta say I like the definition of the harsher colour contrasts in the vB better, but I don't have a problem with this new version.

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:37 AM
  18. Brian G Turner

Yeah, I'm not so keen on that - I'll see if I can change it. It has been quite a learning curve so far. :)

I figure if we have paid supporter subscriptions, then a simple badge under the username - similar to the staff badges - might be welcome. :)

Yes, I need to double-check that the locations are in the right place. There was an issue years ago where the field for that was mixed up with member homepage links, and I want to ensure that is no longer a problem.

Although the avatars would show instead of usernames, the names would still show if you hover a mouse over the avatar. It's something to try, anyway - I think it makes for a better presentation, especially for attracting new members in - but if there are general objections it should be a problem to get rid of it.

I think I'll test something like that for the message areas, just to see how it looks. :)

EDIT: Now testing the gold background from the old vb skin - seems easier on the eyes. :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    Dec 12, 2017 at 1:57 PM
    Cat's Cradle likes this.
  19. dannymcg

I like it, 1.5 is gut, ja?

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:22 PM
  20. Parson

Parson This world is not my home

Being a traditionalist, I generally prefer things that way they are now. But, I will say that 1.5 is cleaner and easier to read. Since I rarely log on using a phone, I didn't check that out.

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:41 PM