How could my character convince other characters in my book of something?

Morgan2

So I haven't thought names for my characters so will call my protagonist Bob. In the 1800s, Bob works at a lab and him and his team was contacted about an alien that was killed. They bring it back to the lab and dissect it. Later that day Bob has a dream of meeting the brother of the alien called C. C tells Bob it will put its seed in a woman so she can birth a child that will bring a new age to man. Bob doesn't believe this at first but then C makes him see into the future. Bob sees he will become a pope like figure of the city and had started a new religion worshiping C. he goes back to work the next day to tell his coworkers that he has heard god talk to him. What my problem is how could he convince his coworkers of the being is god?

Why does he need to? Does the plot require that they believe him?

They could be like, 'Ha, ha, yeah sure, Bob, "god"' *eyeroll*.

Why does he need to? Does the plot require that they believe him?

They could be like, 'Ha, ha, yeah sure, Bob, "god"' *eyeroll*.
Yes because this is background story. In the present the setting was once great but then turned out to become terrible because of kind of like a religious war that happened. it became like a utopia then crashed and burned.

His coworkers are the ones who helped dissect the alien, right? It's hard to suggest anything without knowing more about the alien, but if his coworkers accept that it is an alien being, then they've at least had their minds opened to the "supernatural", so talking to God might not be too great a step from that. But I think it would have to be tied in with the alien somehow (could the alien have been some kind of "messenger"?), or it's going to seem too much of a coincidence. Also, I think it would only come off if he were very charismatic, like the leaders of most breakaway religious cults, and his coworkers were easily led.

You should find some conversations where atheists and Christians argue. Not only are they vastly entertaining, you will gain insight into the difficulty of trying to convince people God, or any god for that matter, exists. The basic format is as for the Christians to bring up various points about their God existing, and for the atheists to continually knock down the evidence as not being substantial enough. So unless those coworkers are prone to believing in religion already, or conspiracy theories, or some other thing that is low on evidence and high on belief, Bob will have a lot of problems convincing them unless he has some empirical evidence.

Otherwise he'll sound like the yellow journalist on the street corner that everyone ignores.