Gemmell Movie?

Has anyone thought of The Rock playing Druss?

I think he could pull it off, but maybe i just wanna see him wivout his shirt!lol

The Rock.... maybe. Definately the Rigante books but you would lose a lot in film form unless they followed the book down to the word. If you were going to watch it you would have to read the book first so you do know the characters. There would be some great battle scenes though.

Maybe Viggo Mortinssen as Connavar...maybe.

dont think rock could do it much justice, he cant act so all you would see is the rock trying to beat people up while talking through the middle bits, i also think druss should be shorter that the rock and possibly wider, but it depends on everyones own picture of him and the book you use, he'd be no good for druss in legend as he was much older. ill try and think of a character for him and then you can see if i'm close.

for druss from the book "Legend", i think Oliver Stone would ahve been brilliant! i think somebody like that would really suit the part.

I've discussed this many times with DG fans. I always thought Legend would be a good place to start - although being DG's favourite it would be hard on him if things went sour.

Anyway, in a perfect world I'd go for the following castings:

Druss - John Rhys Davies / or a no name
Rek - Joachim Phoenix (from gladiator)
Bowman - ?
Bricklyn - Alan Rickman (??) maybe not
Caessa - Jessica Alba
Nogusha - The Rock
Ulric - Ken Watanabe
Calvar Syn -
Dun Elicas - Joel Edgerton (Gawain from King Arthur)
Hogan - Ioan Gruffudd (Lancelot)
Earl Delnar - Pete Posthelwaite
Virae - Katee Sackhoff
Orrin - maybe Sean Austin... not sure
Joachim - Art Malik
Menahem -
Nosta Khan - ?
Serbitar - Adrian or Neil Rayment (matrix twins)
Vintar - Gabriel Byrne (although he'd need bleach)

Lacedaemonian said:
Obviously Legend woul;d be the first choice but I would also like to see the Rigante series made into a movie.
I can see Rigante made into a TV series actually. You wouldn't need too many sfx, and you could film it in either America, England or Oz.

Scotish? Definately. So can I call him Druss rhymn moose.. rather than Druss rhymn fuss? Please??????

I always have a pictured Sean Connery as Druss, but he is getting on a bit now (even for Druss), it's the way Druss says 'laddie' in the books, along with the charisma and grey hair that put Connery into my head. Then again I am a Scot and probably biased!

Brendan gleeson is not stocky enough to play druss it would have to be an unknown actor, scottish obvoiusly but they would have to use a bit of cgi for the battle at dros delnoch because casting a quarter of a million extras would cost a fair bit.

Nokia would it not be better to film the rigante series in Scotland as it is clearly where it is based on in the book

Well ideally Scotland, but anywhere with highlands, forests etc would suffice I imagine. :)

Brian Blessed is an awesome choice for Druss, well done whoever came up with that...
blessed.jpg

but i still wouldn't want to see a movie. unless Gemmell could cast it and approve the script, and i could help!

For druss you would need a wrestler I think the Undertaker would probably fill the boots nicely, as he's huge but there are much bigger men out there.

Has anyone thought of Ray Winston as Druss? i think he would be really good. (Brian Blesed and john rhys davies excelant suggsetions, but to me they seem too freindly) Also if there were to make a film, i would love to see the waylander trilogy. Waylander would have to be played by someone who can be both strong and intimidating but with a certain charm, so perhaps someone like Peirce Brosnan - for he is middleaged and looks pretty hard, lol. failing that perhaps - i know im gunna regret sayin this - but Tom Cruise?

sanityassassin said:
most wresltlers would be too tall for druss they don't really look all that tall on TV but the small ones are still about 6 foot

Druss is meant to be huge, all of the writing points at him being over six foot and built like a brick S**t house

i'm still totally sold on Brian Blessed, that's so close to how i imagined Druss looking.