Gemmell Movie?

He is dead now but Robert Swenson could have done Druss. Bit to tall but nobodys perfect

Maybe a little too giant sized...

How about Ray Stevenson for old Druss? He's not that old but close enough, and yeah he's also tall but for the screen presence, I think 6'4 would be fitting...

The wife just suggested something rather insane. She thought that Jason Statham could play an older Druss. Now that she brings it up he is an action star already and women would flock to watch it. If they could clean up his appearance a little he might be able to pull that off. I agree that Tom Hardy would make a great young Druss though.

By the way if you are looking for someone to play Waylander why not Liam Neeson? He seems to be the perfect fit for me. This is the list of actors I would suggest:

Old Druss: Ray Winstone or Jason Statham
Young Druss: Tom Hardy
Waylander: Liam Neeson
Ulric: Ken Watanabe
Regnak: Sam Worthington
Serbitar: Jonathan Rhys Myers
Vintar: Javier Bardem
Virae: Eliza Dushku (Athletics, has played a female warrior before and she's still hot)

These are my personal choices feel free to disagree but I like them.

The wife just suggested something rather insane. She thought that Jason Statham could play an older Druss. Now that she brings it up he is an action star already and women would flock to watch it. If they could clean up his appearance a little he might be able to pull that off. I agree that Tom Hardy would make a great young Druss though.

By the way if you are looking for someone to play Waylander why not Liam Neeson? He seems to be the perfect fit for me. This is the list of actors I would suggest:

Old Druss: Ray Winstone or Jason Statham
Young Druss: Tom Hardy
Waylander: Liam Neeson
Ulric: Ken Watanabe
Regnak: Sam Worthington
Serbitar: Jonathan Rhys Myers
Vintar: Javier Bardem
Virae: Eliza Dushku (Athletics, has played a female warrior before and she's still hot)

These are my personal choices feel free to disagree but I like them.

Statham is shorter than me and has a pretty slim frame, not exactly what I imagine Druss looking like...

I have not read these yet but was imagining Liam after seeing him in Rob Roy - now that was an acting job and a half. He may be getting a little old now. Are you just dreaming or is there really talk to doing a movie. I'm not sure the public is well enough acquainted with them to be a strong ticket like the Hobbit.

Statham could play Regnak though. He does have the frame for him. The problem is that the only man in my opinion who could have did Druss justice is Sean Connery but sadly he is way to old to play him now.

Well, despite being asked to allow a movie to be made several times, David Gemmell always refused(mainly because he saw what happened to the original writer of Death Wish after the series of films was made). I think his wishes should be respected. Besides, no studio can afford the special effects for the scenes I've already visualised.

Well, despite being asked to allow a movie to be made several times, David Gemmell always refused(mainly because he saw what happened to the original writer of Death Wish after the series of films was made). I think his wishes should be respected. Besides, no studio can afford the special effects for the scenes I've already visualised.

Always good to see another Gemmell fan here - and welcome to the chrons forums. :)

You would have thought so, bizarrely there are some odd people who have read Gemmell but didn't think much of his work. One or two have even posted here...

I think Manu Bennett (crixus in the Spartacus tv show) would be an ideal skilgannon. Maybe rather than a stand alone film it could be a tv series in a similar ilk to Vikings or game of thrones

I think Manu Bennett (crixus in the Spartacus tv show) would be an ideal skilgannon. Maybe rather than a stand alone film it could be a tv series in a similar ilk to Vikings or game of thrones

Good to see another Gemmell fan here - welcome to the chrons forums. :)

I suspect that the various DG series would be better served as an HBO production rather than a film. The problem is people would view it as being a GoT derivative/rip-off rather than what they are :(

By searching Waylander on YouTube I found a very interesting student made short which looked quite good. Forgot to mention that before.

I think Gemmell's work would be better served in the cinematic. Personally.

Ive read all of his books multiple times, im reading the lion of macedon books again, they would make a great film and enough time has passed since Colin Farrell played Alexander, also the troy trilogy but i really enjoyed the film so maybe not.

Ah Druss! The unmoveable, terrifying, honourable great Ox. We all have our own picture of how this legend would look and there isn't a clear choice from the current stock of actors out there that could match the presence, physique and character of Druss.

However here is who i would like to see play the big man if a film were to be made today...

Young Druss = Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo in GoT)
Old Druss = James Cosmo or Brian Blessed

Other suggestions: Mads Mikkelson (great presence), Gerard Butler (would need to bulk up)

On a side note, The Last Kingdom (TV Series) is a good watch.