?Spam email from Chrons

1. Hugh

Hugh Well-Known Member

Yesterday I received an email saying there'd been a post on one of my watched threads. I only have two threads that I follow with email alerts, and both of them are dormant.

I assume it was from a robot as it did not make sense. It said it was from Serafyna, but I can't find a reference to Serafyna in the Chrons search facility. The post was something like "Oh! I wiil TAP". I didn't read it that clearly because I was looking at it on my kindle. When I looked at Chrons on my laptop the post did not exist.

I hadn't visited Chrons for a few days so I may have missed something, but I assume this email was due to one of the robots that regularly visit Chrons?

2. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

There was a post to one of the two threads you follow, but as the post was spam and from a spammer, it was removed after you first saw it, but before you looked at the thread on your laptop. The spammer was then banned, and so is not in the member list anymore. Anyone is free to visit the majority of the pages of Chronicles forum. Only members can post here and there are checks in place to prevent spammers joining. The Moderators on Chronicles are extremely efficient at removing the small amount of spam and spammers that manage to still get through as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, the thread notification system is entirely automatic, sent out when anyone posts in one of your threads, and it cannot differentiate between spam and real posts. If you no longer wish to receive thread notifications you can switch them off using the "watch thread" button at the top right of the page.

Brian G Turner likes this.
  3. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

Indeed, my apologies, Hugh - as Dave says, a spammer posted to one of your watched threads, but was quickly removed. However, any alert will go out as soon as a post is made, regardless as to whether we might later remove it.

4. Hugh

Hugh Well-Known Member

Many thanks @Dave and @Brian G Turner for your replies/explanations.

It makes me appreciate all the more the level of backstage work that is involved in keeping Chrons functioning so well.