Sleep

Interesting. At least I'm okay with my eReader as it's eInk so I'm subjected to exactly the same reflective light that paper book readers get.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks sleep, while you can't do without, is a shameful waste of time. Yet sleep can be creative. Probably everyone who plays piano or other instruments has this wonderful experience: you can't get over a difficult passage no matter how many times you practice. Then overnight, miracle happens, on the following day you find yourself fingering through the same passage without much difficulty. So the virtue of sleep. Lately I came across this article:

Practice with Sleep Makes Perfect: Sleep-Dependent Motor Skill Learning - ScienceDirect :

"Here we provide evidence that a night of sleep results in a 20% increase in motor speed without loss of accuracy, while an equivalent period of time during wake provides no significant benefit. Furthermore, a significant correlation exists between the improved performance overnight and the amount of stage 2 NREM sleep, particularly late in the night. This finding of sleep-dependent motor skill improvement may have important implications for the efficient learning of all skilled actions in humans."

I had a problem sleeping when I was going to college. I worked my way through college and worked 54 hours a week(Plus) and kept a full class schedule because at the time Uncle would enlist me to go to war if I were not a full time student. Suffice it to say you would think I'd jump at the chance for whatever sleep I could get. However; it always seemed that I'd lie awake for the first three hours after work and then snooze a bit and wake up, unable to fall back to sleep.

Usually I'd go to school early and find a study hall where I'd end up with my forehead pasted onto a textbook and spend the rest of the day avoiding people who would try to read the mysterious backward message on my forehead.

About this time I also started using coffee and mountain dew as my main beverages of choice; even over water. So it is no surprise that at some point I found myself vibrating in my standard non-vibrating bed and deciding that maybe--too much caffeine. I swore off caffeine for a few years and they(the government)had this neat lottery thing for armed forces induction that placed me at 365 in an order of - thru- 365 and pretty much insured that the only way I'd go to war was when I decided. So sleep became more regular for me.

These days I get five hours a night during the week and seven on the weekends. If I get more than seven I'm doomed the rest of the day to feel as though I didn't get any sleep at all. My wife on the other hand obsesses about the eight hour thing and I've had to try to tactfully ignore her about this.

In comparison I fall to sleep almost before I hit the pillow most nights, while she lies awake sneering at me.
My blood pressure and other vitals are fine while she has to medicate herself by physician directive.
When I read whether it's a book or kindle I'll reach a point where I have to stop, because I want to nod off(not meant as aspersions to those authors).
At one time I did discover that if I read to her she would often nod off quickly.
However presently with my own predilection to nodding off while reading, I run the risk of falling to sleep while reading and waking up with a black eye.

If I go to bed before 10 o'clock , I have dreams and I can remember then. If go to bad after 12, I don't dream and I wake feeling not at all rested.

Back