Dr. Hax and the Iron Maiden Of Klamth: beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.T James

Furry Steampunk Street Urchin
Here, and if not there probably elsewhere.
Hello. This is the opening of my steampunk fantasy story.

I've had horrible times with critiques in the past. Most of them seemed to be focused on castrating any element of normal fantasy, as well as the POV I write in.

So if you say I need to set my story in Paris or London because it's steampunk, I respectfully ask that you don't critique this piece as such things aren't helpful.

I had another beginning to this thread but my phone copied the story twice. Groan the issues of working away from your computer and relying on a phone.

PS: I know grammar isn't my strong suit. Considering my educational background it's amazing I can count to three let alone write a full sentence half the time!

Enough meandering lets get this trainwreck thread started

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aboard a zeppelin and leaving Voron – why does this all seem so familiar? Ophelia and I travelled as vagabonds across the countryside, only to arrive in the city and depart immediately.

I can not stay in one place too long, as something bad always seems to happen.

Voron and I have a past together. That city runs deep in me. I run deep in it. A distant dance which usually ended up with more than a few stomped toes—I was just happy to leave her quietly. I was just happy there were no brawls or duels on my way out, or any other event that could result in a man ending up in a closed casket. I’ve stayed in Chaika for way too long. Going up north may be the best option for us both.

Living on the road is difficult. I have done it for years, but Ophelia is young. She should be out there kicking would be suitors between their legs and winning duels. Not travelling the Chaikan wilderness with a maniac she hardly knows, but Ophelia has stuck by me. I have given her numerous opportunities to abandon me and live a normal life, but for some reason she always stays.

I held up a black ring to the zeppelin’s window. The gold scroll designs were identical to something one would see etched onto a hunting rifle owned by royalty. It was paired to the ornate black collar Ophelia was wearing. The one which I acquired by signing a first edition copy of a book I wrote ages ago.

My mind reflected on what the shopkeeper said to me. That he hoped she felt the same way about me. The implications were high that were we together, but the thought was humorous at best. She was young and I was a relic from the past, an era left in dust only to be mentioned briefly in tomes and then instantly forgotten.

“Lost in thought Darko?” Ophelia’s voice startled me.

“Quite hard not to be”—I ferreted the ring back into the pocketed lining of my top hat— “look at the lovely view of the sky and the famous Gem of Chaika.” I always hated that travel brochure name for Voron, but I guess my idea of ‘Morons visiting Voron’ was not as palatable especially with fancy font and slapped on a pamphlet.

Ophelia was my recent traveling companion. Her white hair shoulder length and violet eyes showed a hint of softness that her abrasive personality often masked.

“Honestly, I can’t see how they could call it that,” Ophelia said, leaning on the polished aluminium railing beside me to also look down at the massive pentagon shaped city of brick we just left.

Sunlight hit me and I averted my eyes. A flash of green, red, and orange caught my attention. The fire opal on her collar was a Morgal variety, a fact I did not notice in the shop. Just looking at it made me feel homesick. What I would not trade to be able to recapture those happy days in my coastal nation, but that will never happen. Some things you are not allowed to relive no matter how hard you try. The past always seems to sneak up and stab you through the heart.

Ophelia snorted, adjusting her satchel. “It’s amazing you can actually see the whole god damn thing from up here.”

“Just think, there are a million people living in that city," I replied. Looking down at the angled glass that made up the passenger deck above the gondola just made the city seem that much bleaker. Voron was pretty up close, but from a far something about lipstick and a pig comes to mind, maybe a powdered wig and a splash of rouge for added effect.

Ophelia drove her knee high boot against the railing and began adjusting her laces. “The zeppelin station is the tallest thing there. Wasn’t it a clock tower or something else ridiculous? You jabbered on about it after getting us tickets.”

“It’s nice to know you were listening, but you are so lucky people can’t see the view you are displaying. Please refrain from doing that on… say a stairway, or a balcony perhaps since you are wearing a skirt.”

“If they want to look, they can look. I can see yeah eyeballing my clothes.” Ophelia dropped her boots from the railing and smacked off the dirt.

“Yes we need to get new soles put on your boots. How is your attire doing?” I said, noticing a tear in the arm pit of her grey aviator’s jacket I purchased for her a year ago.

“The pit tore again. You can sew it up again if really you want. I know this sh*t bothers you— being a former tailor and what not”— Ophelia reached into her bag and pulled out a newspaper she must have acquired from a bench at the station— “Any thoughts on this headline?”

“Curfew enforced onto The Points area,” I read aloud. “I think it is horrible.” Skip Morons visiting Voron. They are already have enough there. Morons running Voron. Some things never do change.

“You know I really do feel for the bonts, just all of th-“

A furry tail brushed past my leg and turned to see a black bont in a pastel yellow riding habit walking down the hallway with a matching broad brim sunhat as her head tilted at the sky. A sheer veil drifted over her fox like face. Her emerald eyes looking towards the sun while her hand-

“Aye-aye-aye!”—Ophelia’s snaps directed my attention back to reality—“You didn’t pay attention to me, but I can see you were focused on the subject matter in other ways.

“Don’t even think about running up to her with your dandyisms, and bowing down to spew romantic nothings. She would probably just slap you across the face. You look like a freaking homeless person, or a chimney sweep, or both—both is bad.”

“Why can you not wear clothes like that?”

“Because I don’t. Though I keep on seeing your gaze turn towards your yellow wearing bête noire. Hmm, thinking about slowly lifting up her tail? I bet she has an amazing giggle. God! Don’t break your fingers on the railing I am only razing you!”

“Yes, I shall confess I have a soft spot for the bonts, but I know of the oppression of which they held in the past! And furthermore it disgusts me to see Chaika using tax money to fund this idiotic notion!” I tore the paper right from her grasp. I was highly disappointed the infernal thing did not rip in half.

“Sorry”—Ophelia held up her hands defensively—“look your tastes are your tastes, but tell me one thing. Would you stick this thing on her if you could?” Ophelia tugged at her ornate collar.

I ignored Ophelia completely. I looked towards my ‘bête noire’ and watched her take the hand of a man in an emerald coat. She let out a wonderful laugh and followed him down into the gondola below. Sometimes the past bites hard.

“Did what I say really hurt you that badly?” Ophelia punched my shoulder. “If I am a bitch just call it out. Don’t go flying into your skull like that, geez!”

“So that is how your arm pit got ripped. It is from punching my shoulder.”

“Eh, sh*t happens”--Ophelia’s voice soften as she latched onto her stomach –”Hey Darko? Do you think we could get something warm to eat? I mean we haven’t eaten anything in like what… two days?”

“Sure, sounds like a decent enough plan.” One can never argue towards getting food. Well, that isn’t correct, somebody could always find a way to argue and complain about anything.

“You paying?” Ophelia crossed her arms.

“Nah, I was going to suggest that we dine and dash.”

Ophelia’s composure faltered. “Oh, that’s golden. I just imagine you diving out of a window.”

“Would not be the first time I fell off of a zeppelin.” nor the fifth, eighth or the twentieth time.

“Oh really? Did you fall or were you thrown out?”

I offered Ophelia my arm. “Oh, if we were to include being thrown out of a zeppelin now then...”

“How are you still kicking, you manic?” she asked, taking my arm.

“Luck my dear. Luck.”

“Some day that’s going to run out.” Ophelia let go of my arm spinning in a flourish before opening up the restaurant door for me.

“ Hey that is my job!”

“Pfft!” Ophelia took a bow with an arm extended out remarking, “Ladies first!”

I grumbled to myself before entering the restaurant. I had to give Ophelia some visual annoyance at her jab, it makes her happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The site's software has a habit of screwing up format and fonts, which I think might have happened here. The font is a bit small for those of us who are getting on in years, which means it might put some potential critiquers off, and the double spacing between paragraphs makes the whole thing seem far longer than it is, which again might be a bit off-putting. It would be a shame if people are discouraged from reading as a result. You have plenty of time to make amendments to help readability -- the editing window is open for an hour -- but I can make them for you if you run into problems, especially as you're on your phone.

The site's software has a habit of screwing up format and fonts, which I think might have happened here. The font is a bit small for those of us who are getting on in years, which means it might put some potential critiquers off, and the double spacing between paragraphs makes the whole thing seem far longer than it is, which again might be a bit off-putting. It would be a shame if people are discouraged from reading as a result. You have plenty of time to make amendments to help readability -- the editing window is open for an hour -- but I can make them for you if you run into problems, especially as you're on your phone.

Is it possible for it to be edited now. I was at work so the editing window vanished between the time of breaks.

If it is still possible please do. I would be highly grateful as I'm not really able to edit this with ease on an IPhone 5s.

I do apologize for this inconvenience.
:oops:

Aboard a zeppelin and leaving Voron – why does this all seem so familiar? Ophelia and I travelled as vagabonds across the countryside < This second sentence is a very "tell" statement, and doesn't really raise any questions for the story. Additionally, my understanding of the term is little different from "tramp" or "hobo" - the result of which is your first paragraph is reduced semantically is a kind of flat "We went somewhere and left, because we just wander into places and leave them" , only to arrive in the city and depart immediately.

I can not stay in one place too long, as something bad always seems to happen. < If you "show" rather than "tell" this, it would have more impact.

Voron and I have a past together. That city runs deep in me. I run deep in it. A distant dance which usually ended up with more than a few stomped toes—I was just happy to leave her quietly. I was just happy there were no brawls or duels on my way out, or any other event that could result in a man ending up in a closed casket. I’ve stayed in Chaika for way too long. Going up north may be the best option for us both. < This actually seems the opening of your story. You can cut the sentences above and lose nothing. Additionally, this paragraph introduces a sense of hidden secrets that will raise questions in the reader's mind.

Living on the road is difficult. I have done it for years, but Ophelia is young. She should be out there kicking would be suitors between their legs and winning duels. Not travelling the Chaikan wilderness with a maniac she hardly knows, but Ophelia has stuck by me. I have given her numerous opportunities to abandon me and live a normal life, but for some reason she always stays. < You're back to telling again. Like the opening sentences you are trying to infodump, when you're better off trying to get straight into the immediacy of the situation you want to open with.

I held up a black ring to the zeppelin’s window. The gold scroll designs were identical to something one would see etched onto a hunting rifle owned by royalty. It was paired to the ornate black collar Ophelia was wearing. The one which I acquired by signing a first edition copy of a book I wrote ages ago. < No probs here, and would connect fine to the 3rd paragraph I also green-marked.

My mind reflected on what the shopkeeper said to me. That he hoped she felt the same way about me. The implications were high that were we together, but the thought was humorous at best. She was young and I was a relic from the past, an era left in dust only to be mentioned briefly in tomes and then instantly forgotten. < You're back to "tell"ing - trying to explain things for the reader, rather than just showing it.

“Lost in thought Darko?” Ophelia’s voice startled me.

“Quite hard not to be”—I ferreted the ring back into the pocketed lining of my top hat— “look at the lovely view of the sky and the famous Gem of Chaika.” I always hated that travel brochure name for Voron, but I guess my idea of ‘Morons visiting Voron’ was not as palatable especially with fancy font and slapped on a pamphlet.

Ophelia was my recent traveling companion < You kind of mentioned this before in the opening couple of lines. If you cut those out, this reads fine - if you leave the opening sentences, then this could be duplication. Her white hair shoulder length and violet eyes showed a hint of softness that her abrasive personality often masked.

“Honestly, I can’t see how they could call it that,” Ophelia said, leaning on the polished aluminium railing beside me to also look down at the massive pentagon shaped city of brick we just left.

Sunlight hit me and I averted my eyes. A flash of green, red, and orange caught my attention. The fire opal on her collar was a Morgal variety, a fact I did not notice in the shop. Just looking at it made me feel homesick. What I would not trade to be able to recapture those happy days in my coastal nation, but that will never happen. Some things you are not allowed to relive no matter how hard you try. The past always seems to sneak up and stab you through the heart.

So far not bad - not bad at all. Keep the green paras and drop the red ones and you have a clear sense of story starting and developing.

Ophelia snorted, adjusting her satchel. “It’s amazing you can actually see the whole god damn thing from up here.”

“Just think, there are a million people living in that city," I replied. Looking down at the angled glass that made up the passenger deck above the gondola just made the city seem that much bleaker. Voron was pretty up close, but from a far something about lipstick and a pig comes to mind, maybe a powdered wig and a splash of rouge for added effect.

Ophelia drove her knee high boot against the railing and began adjusting her laces. “The zeppelin station is the tallest thing there. Wasn’t it a clock tower or something else ridiculous? You jabbered on about it after getting us tickets.”

“It’s nice to know you were listening, but you are so lucky people can’t see the view you are displaying. Please refrain from doing that on… say a stairway, or a balcony perhaps since you are wearing a skirt.”

“If they want to look, they can look. I can see yeah eyeballing my clothes.” Ophelia dropped her boots from the railing and smacked off the dirt.

“Yes we need to get new soles put on your boots. How is your attire doing?” I said, noticing a tear in the arm pit of her grey aviator’s jacket I purchased for her a year ago.

“The pit tore again. You can sew it up again if really you want. I know this sh*t bothers you— being a former tailor and what not”— Ophelia reached into her bag and pulled out a newspaper she must have acquired from a bench at the station— “Any thoughts on this headline?”

“Curfew enforced onto The Points area,” I read aloud. “I think it is horrible.” Skip Morons visiting Voron. They are already have enough there. Morons running Voron. Some things never do change.

“You know I really do feel for the bonts, just all of th-“

^ I'm not sure what the above dialogue exchange is for - other than really to describe Voron a little more for the benefit of the reader, and infodump the characters. Better to resist both and put something a little more story-driven perhaps?

A furry tail brushed past my leg and turned to see a black bont in a pastel yellow riding habit walking down the hallway with a matching broad brim sunhat as her head tilted at the sky. < Had difficulty reading this sentence - too many verbs and adjectives. The object also isn't clear, as you've stated that the tal turned to see ... A sheer veil drifted over her fox like face. Her emerald eyes looking towards the sun while her hand-

“Aye-aye-aye!”—Ophelia’s snaps directed my attention back to reality—“You didn’t pay attention to me, but I can see you were focused on the subject matter in other ways.

“Don’t even think about running up to her with your dandyisms, and bowing down to spew romantic nothings. She would probably just slap you across the face. You look like a freaking homeless person, or a chimney sweep, or both—both is bad.”

“Why can you not wear clothes like that?”

“Because I don’t. Though I keep on seeing your gaze turn towards your yellow wearing bête noire. Hmm, thinking about slowly lifting up her tail? I bet she has an amazing giggle. God! Don’t break your fingers on the railing I am only razing you!”

“Yes, I shall confess I have a soft spot for the bonts, but I know of the oppression of which they held in the past! And furthermore it disgusts me to see Chaika using tax money to fund this idiotic notion!” I tore the paper right from her grasp. I was highly disappointed the infernal thing did not rip in half.

“Sorry”—Ophelia held up her hands defensively—“look your tastes are your tastes, but tell me one thing. Would you stick this thing on her if you could?” Ophelia tugged at her ornate collar.

I ignored Ophelia completely. I looked towards my ‘bête noire’ and watched her take the hand of a man in an emerald coat. She let out a wonderful laugh and followed him down into the gondola below. Sometimes the past bites hard.

“Did what I say really hurt you that badly?” Ophelia punched my shoulder. “If I am a bitch just call it out. Don’t go flying into your skull like that, geez!”

“So that is how your arm pit got ripped. It is from punching my shoulder.”

“Eh, sh*t happens”--Ophelia’s voice soften as she latched onto her stomach –”Hey Darko? Do you think we could get something warm to eat? I mean we haven’t eaten anything in like what… two days?”

“Sure, sounds like a decent enough plan.” One can never argue towards getting food. Well, that isn’t correct, somebody could always find a way to argue and complain about anything.

“You paying?” Ophelia crossed her arms.

“Nah, I was going to suggest that we dine and dash.”

Ophelia’s composure faltered. “Oh, that’s golden. I just imagine you diving out of a window.”

“Would not be the first time I fell off of a zeppelin.” nor the fifth, eighth or the twentieth time.

“Oh really? Did you fall or were you thrown out?”

I offered Ophelia my arm. “Oh, if we were to include being thrown out of a zeppelin now then...”

“How are you still kicking, you manic?” she asked, taking my arm.

“Luck my dear. Luck.”

“Some day that’s going to run out.” Ophelia let go of my arm spinning in a flourish before opening up the restaurant door for me.

“ Hey that is my job!”

“Pfft!” Ophelia took a bow with an arm extended out remarking, “Ladies first!”

I grumbled to myself before entering the restaurant. I had to give Ophelia some visual annoyance at her jab, it makes her happy.

^ Again, the dialogue seems unfocused.

Overall, not bad - there's a clear sense of opening and a story beginning - but I'm not sure if you're clear on that yourself. Have a look at the green and red marks and see if they help you focus on a stronger opening.

What I felt most critical about was the dialogue - it seems to go on for too long with no clear focus. I'm easily given the impression that your dialogue is influenced less from reading novels and more from watching animes, which I would caution you about as both are very different media that use dialogue in different ways. [Note that a novel only has to give the impression of real speech, rather than slavishly imitate it].

This is especially the case as you're writing in First Person, so I would expect to see far more closeness to the narrative character and their thoughts - the trouble being that dialogue by itself distances us from the character experience, which can be self-defeating to that choice of POV style.

None of these are particularly fatal criticisms - I find dialogue really difficult to write well - and some of these comments may be stylistic rather than technical. I'll leave you to decide which for yourself. :)

As usual, I've deliberately not read anyone else's comments, so there may be repetition. Now, to work *unsheathes claws*:

Aboard a zeppelin and leaving Voron – why does this all seem so familiar? Ophelia and I travelled as vagabonds across the countryside, only to arrive in the city and depart immediately. - zeppelin is an interesting term as, technically, it's named after an individual (some things seem to pass, like a cardigan or sandwich, whereas Earl Grey doesn't). Perhaps capitalise? More importantly, the second sentence seems detached from the first. Maybe have them seated by the window, staring down at the station they arrived only the day before?

I can not stay in one place too long, as something bad always seems to happen. - 'can not' = cannot (or can't).

I was just happy to leave her quietly. I was just happy there were no brawls or duels on my way out - repetition of idea and phrasing is probably deliberate, but I'd vary it (not least because leaving it as is means some people will think you meant to edit it and failed/forgot).

Living on the road is difficult. I have done it for years, but Ophelia is young. She should be out there kicking would be suitors between their legs and winning duels. Not travelling the Chaikan wilderness with a maniac she hardly knows, but Ophelia has stuck by me. I have given her numerous opportunities to abandon me and live a normal life, but for some reason she always stays. - bit of a lack of emotional engagement so far. For example, with the brawls or duels could have reference to a scar or niggling leg wound. Ophelia sticking by him, perhaps mention waiting in hospital to ensure he was ok. You've mentioning the end state of emotions without mentioning how those feelings originated, and the latter are a good opportunity for character-building.

“Lost in thought Darko?” Ophelia’s voice startled me. - good disruption of thought, perhaps could happen earlier. Also, add a comma preceding 'Darko'.

‘Morons visiting Voron’ was not as palatable especially with fancy font and slapped on a pamphlet. - probably change the latter part (wouldn't entice the gullible rich or suchlike, reads more smoothly).

Ophelia was my recent traveling companion. Her white hair shoulder length and violet eyes showed a hint of softness that her abrasive personality often masked. - axe the first sentence as it's true by definition. For the second, show the abrasiveness in dialogue/deed.

Sunlight hit me and I averted my eyes. A flash of green, red, and orange caught my attention. The fire opal on her collar was a Morgal variety, a fact I did not notice in the shop. Just looking at it made me feel homesick. What I would not trade to be able to recapture those happy days in my coastal nation, but that will never happen. Some things you are not allowed to relive no matter how hard you try. The past always seems to sneak up and stab you through the heart. - I'd axe this. There's nothing wrong in itself, but there's been a lot of this and it's slowing things down.

“It’s nice to know you were listening, but you are so lucky people can’t see the view you are displaying. Please refrain from doing that on… say a stairway, or a balcony perhaps since you are wearing a skirt.” - nice line but I'd axe the second sentence or make it shorter. Brevity is the friend of levity.

“If they want to look, they can look. I can see yeah eyeballing my clothes.” - hard to comment without seeing the whole thing, but if you aren't going with this consistently 'yeah' needs spelling correctly.

“The pit tore again. You can sew it up again if really you want. I know this sh*t bothers you— being a former tailor and what not”— Ophelia reached into her bag and pulled out a newspaper she must have acquired from a bench at the station— “Any thoughts on this headline?” - I'd axe most of this and the preceding line. He notices something and then she mentions it, it's doubling the length without adding much. Also, the 'former tailor' line reads as exposition rather than natural chatter.

“Why can you not wear clothes like that?” - 'don't' reads more smoothly than 'can you not'

“If I am a bitch just call it out. - I'm

It is from punching my shoulder.” - It's

“Eh, sh*t happens”-- - used long dashes earlier, so change here for consistency

Ophelia’s voice soften as she latched onto her stomach - hmm, not sure what stomach latching is.

–”Hey Darko? Do you think we could get something warm to eat? I mean we haven’t eaten anything in like what… two days?” - this needs earlier changes. Rumbling guts, aching stomachs, salivating at smells and sights of food, dislike of fat people.

“Would not be the first time I fell off of a zeppelin.” nor the fifth, eighth or the twentieth time. - capital N. Quite like the line but would probably just pick one number.

“How are you still kicking, you manic?” she asked, taking my arm. - possible typo for 'maniac' (could just be variety).

“Luck my dear. Luck.” - comma before 'my dear'.

“ Hey that is my job!” - axe the space before 'Hey'

The setting and situation to follow (nicking food and buggering off) is perfectly good but this section needs to have the backstory trimmed down. Happily, the hunger provides a perfectly good way to do and also bring the reader in closer through sights and smells (of food, mostly). Dialogue is sometimes a little clunky (exposition or lack of contractions making it read a little odd).

I don't mind a bit of telling, so the paragraphs Brian highlighted didn't worry me on that basis alone, but cumulatively they did add up to giving a rather meandering and repetitive feel to the opening of the story, and I agree it would be a stronger start if you took a pruning knife to them. What did rather throw me out, though, was the way the story changed tense practically from sentence to sentence all the way through.

For instance, the first sentence is in present tense: Aboard a zeppelin and leaving Voron – why does this all seem so familiar? The very next line, though, is in past: Ophelia and I travelled as vagabonds. It's perfectly fine to write the whole thing in present tense. Some readers don't like it, but I understand much of current YA is fixated with it, especially in first person. However, if you do use it, you must keep to it, and not lapse into past tense for things which are happening then and there. Reading the rest of the extract quickly, though, it looks like most of it actually is in past tense, so I assume that's the one you mean to use, in which case you need to go through and change the relevant present tense sections.

As a complication, some present tense here is fine, since the extract is written in first person eg the present tense of the second para is OK -- I can not [NB should be "cannot" as one word] stay in one place too long, as something bad always seems to happen. since even if he is narrating this at a much later date, that fact presumably remains true. (Though it would also be fine if it were "I could not stay" ie in those days he couldn't though he can now, at the date he's narrating this.) You can keep present tense for anything of that overview sort eg That city runs deep in me. I run deep in it. is also fine if it's still the case now when he's narrating. But when he's referring to this particular episode on the airship [which might perhaps be a better alternative to the word "Zeppelin"], you need to make sure all the writing is in the past tense. So I was just happy there were no brawls is right, but Going up north may be the best option for us both. isn't, as "may" there is looking to the future, so is written from a present tense perspective.

As an additional complication (!) the past tense in things like I’ve stayed in Chaika for way too long. is also wrong if you intend to write in past tense throughout, because it's also written from a present tense perspective. The sentence is referring to a time further back than the scene he's describing, so in present tense writing it would be eg "I'm here, but I've stayed too long" ie present tense for the now, past tense for the beforehand, but in past tense writing you have to slip into the past perfect (aka pluperfect) for that second verb ie "I was there, but I had stayed too long".

If you are confused by verb tenses and the like, there should be a piece or two about it in The Toolbox, which is a useful resource for new writers anyway, and might be of interest The Toolbox

In nit-picking mode, I stumbled over the following in the first few paragraphs:
  • Ophelia and I travelled as vagabonds across the countryside, only to arrive in the city and depart immediately. -- the use of "only" sets up the idea of a conflict or discrepancy, just as "but" or "however" would do eg "We left at midnight, only to arrive two hours earlier" but the fact they're vagrants doesn't contradict leaving the city as soon as they arrive, so it's wrong there. The "countryside" also nags at me as being the wrong word, unless they really have been tramping between villages and over fields.
  • kicking would be suitors -- would-be, with a hyphen
  • ... between their legs and winning duels. Not travelling the Chaikan wilderness with a maniac she hardly knows, but Ophelia has stuck by me. -- I'd change the punctuation there to ... between their legs and winning duels, not travelling the Chaikan wilderness with a maniac she hardly knows. But Ophelia has stuck by me. Purists might bridle at my starting a sentence with a "But" so keep it as a comma and lower case there if you prefer, but the "duels. Not" definitely needs changing in that event. (That is, it would work -- though it would read rather choppily -- as three discrete sentences, but it is wrong written as two with the full stop/period where you've put it.)
I won't nit-pick the rest in detail, and I see Thaddeus has already beaten me to some of it anyway, but the following leapt out at me even on a quick read:
  • I ferreted the ring back into the pocketed lining of my top hat -- "ferret" means to search for something or drive it out (as one would if one were using ferrets to hunt rabbits etc), so the exact opposite of how you've used it. Here I'd suggest "secreted".
  • Her white hair shoulder length and violet eyes showed a hint of softness -- you can retain that word order if you put commas in eg "Her white hair, shoulder length," but frankly that sounds really weird and rather buggers up the rhythm of the sentence, so I think you're better with either "Her white, shoulder-length, hair" or "Her shoulder-length, white hair" or better yet something like "Her violet eyes, and her white hair which brushed her shoulders, showed a hint..." which to me reads as a tad more fitting regarding the softness image.
  • to also look down at the massive pentagon shaped city -- his voice gives the impression of someone who is a touch old-fashioned and who knows his grammar, so I'm not sure he'd split that infinitive (ie remove the "also" so nothing comes between "to" and "look down") and while I'm here, you need a hyphen in "pentagon-shaped" (and in "knee-high" and "fox-like" later on -- you've also got some words wrongly divided/rendered eg it's usually "goddamned" not "god damn", "afar" not "a far", "armpit" not "arm pit". Only small issues, of course, but if they multiply they begin to look like carelessness, which is unfortunate).
  • bête noire -- this is something that's hated, or is a particular enemy, so again the exact opposite of what -- I imagine -- you intend, which is surely something like "pet" or "idol" (or "golden calf" if you want to keep to animalistic imagery and you have the Bible in this place!)

I have to confess I didn't understand all the stuff about the newspaper headline and the bonts, even on a re-read, so if this is important you perhaps should make more of it, (if it isn't important, I'd question why it's there) though why she's only asking him now appears odd, if she's had the paper on her person for a while -- ie if she's just picked up a paper from the gangway that someone else has dropped it would appear more realistic for her to raise it as an issue. And I agree that the dialogue between them could usefully be pruned and better made to serve the plot rather than just appear smart and back-chatty.

I also wonder if you perhaps need to get in rather more of an idea of where the whole story is heading -- we're 1500 words into it, and you've dropped in a fair load of backstory, but we're still rather waiting around for the main story to get going, as it were. Having said that, it was an enjoyable read, with a few neat touches (I liked his insouciance about falling from Zeppelins), and seems a good basis on which to progress and get the story moving in the next scenes.

Good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back