Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - WITH Spoilers

1. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

Dash it - I never got a chance to go back and edit "pretend man" into "Hunk" as an alternative to "Joi". :D

As for the discussion at hand - I think we're getting far too off-topic. Sexism and sexist imagery in film is common, ordinary, and accepted by society, so if people struggle to see how this applies to BR 2049 then that's understandable.

What BR 2049 did is handle that side especially badly. For cinematography, direction, and atmosphere, it is a wonderful visual tribute to Blade Runner. Unfortunately, poor and confused scripting means it never rises to being anything more than that IMO.

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:16 PM
  2. The Crawling Chaos

The Crawling Chaos Well-Known Member

I took the liberty of going with Bliss but now I really regret not going for Hunk.

I agree that this discussion has overstayed its welcome and the thread is at risk of being derailed into a deeper one about gender politics.

Make no mistake, I am far too aware that sexism is everywhere, and it is in BR 2049 too (again, the statues in the desert, or the names "Luv" and "Joi"). But when it comes to labelling a movie as sexist, the intentions of the filmmakers are what should matter rather than the skin-deep observation of the world they depicted. Joi is not called Joi because of what she represented to the filmmakers, but because it says something about the society who gave her this name.

Feb 14, 2018 at 3:25 PM
  3. Judderman

Judderman The Iceman cometh

Brian, when it comes to stories that have a reproduction, or challenges with reproduction, as a key part of the storyline there is always going to be a focus on women. The reverse story doesn't make much sense.
    I don't think the AI is an issue really. If a young, single person wants to have fantasies at home that is not a big surprise. Also as Chaos says Kay is also approached as a sexual object by his boss. Females are also key in the planned android rebellion.

One point I would agree on there should have been holograms advertising male companions in the city.

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:40 PM
  4. Luiglin

Luiglin by day Stuart Orford by night Dark Lord's scribe

I don't see that. Why can't a technology capable of producing a female Joi produce a male Joi? Why can't it be intelligent enough to realise that it's viewer is male or female and therefore tailor the advert accordingly?

I know this is a case of 'what if' but today's technology is already heading in that direction.

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:48 PM
  5. Judderman

Judderman The Iceman cometh

If there is a gigantic hologram there could be people of both sexes going by at once so it may not be able to pick up one person. So it could alternate.

As for advertising equipment recognising the sex of a passerby. That is some serious big brother stuff :O Plus not everyone is heterosexual.

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:42 PM
  6. Luiglin

Luiglin by day Stuart Orford by night Dark Lord's scribe

There are ways round all of that. Minority Report provided a great example with linking adverts to retinal recognition. Link this to back end data of personal preferences and, as they say, Bob's your uncle.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:20 PM
  7. Toby Frost

Toby Frost Well-Known Member

I don't want to start this discussion again, but I saw Ex Machina recently and thought that it covered similar territory, a bit more interestingly.

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:44 PM