Grim Reapers Opening Scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPoots

Hey all, have been looking forward to posting something for critiquing, but I'll admit to being a bit nervous.

Just starting off with the opening scenes of a short story I wrote recently. It's going by the name Grim Reapers currently, but that's only because I can't think of anything better right now.

I'd be particularly interested in knowing whether people think I should keep the opening poem in, a practice I have never done in any of my work before, or whether the plot detail about the origins of the fey should be left out entirely (although this is a point I know can't really be critiqued without reading the whole story).

Thanks for taking the time to give it a look.

Grim Reapers

The ones who fell went straight to hell,
The ones who won did rise.
But those which did not pick a side,
To Earth they came,
As Fey they hide.

The death coach rattled through the city streets. Belfast roads were never busy at this time of the night, but what few drivers remained didn’t take any notice of the black carriage, drawn by a headless horse, driven by its headless rider. The Dullahan flourished his whip, the length of human spine cracking and snapping in his hand. It was a good night. The silent streets belonged to the Dullahan, as did the soul he raced to collect. There had been few of them in recent years, but this was his. It filled him with purpose, made him remember the old days, when his coach would carry legions to their final repose. It was a good night.

He turned down Amelia Street. As he passed The Crown pub, its door flew open and a small figure ran out into the middle of the road. The Dullahan had only a moment to recognise the bright yellow jacket, before he yanked on the reigns. Sparks flew up from the horse’s hooves as it and the carriage ground to a halt.

“Well, that was a bit close for comfort.” Said a voice from the front of the horse.

“Clurichaun.” The Dullahan intoned in a voice like a bell ringing in the depths of the sea.

A head topped with a mop of curly hair popped up over the horse’s neck. “Hello Dully, how’s business? Wouldn’t fancy giving me a lift, would you boy?”

The Dullahan couldn’t glare, but he nonetheless made a very good attempt. “My coach is not a taxi service.”

“Aye, but there aren’t that many that cater for the likes of us, are there?” The Clurichaun walked around to the side of the carriage, straightening his yellow jacket. “Come on big lad, for old times’ sake?”

The Dullahan let out a sigh like a person’s dying breath. “Very well. But you must wait until I have completed my own task. I have work to do this night.”

“Fair enough, fair enough.”

The Clurichaun tried to climb up onto the box beside the Dullahan, but its diminutive stature made it difficult. In the end, the Dullahan had to lower an end of its whip for the little fey to climb up. Once Clurichan had settled down next to him, the Dullahan cracked the whip and the horse started forwards once again.

“Much obliged.” The Clurichaun reached into his jacket and produced a bottle which he uncorked. The fumes coming from it made the paint on the side of the carriage crinkle. “Want some? Finest poteen, so it is.”

“If you possess alcohol, why were you in a tavern?” The Dullahan asked.

“Well, we’ve all got our jobs to do, haven’t we? Bartender hadn’t detached the beer taps.” The Clurichaun belched. “Be terrible if all that went to waste.”

“Would that be because he has yet to realise you went in and reattached them all?”

“That’s slanderous that is.” The Clurichaun said. “So that’s a no to the poteen then?” He tilted his head back and took a large gulp.

They rode together in silence for a while, the wheels of the coach making no noise that a human could detect. After a while, the Dullahan felt moved to ask something. “Have you seen many of the others of late?”

The Clurichaun wiped his mouth on the back of a yellow sleeve. “Not so many around these days. Leprichaun has moved in with Grogoch over on Rathlin. Said he wanted to get away from everything for a bit. Most of the others are hanging around with the courts.” The Clurichaun spat. “Most of the people of the mound are as mad as old Morning Star was, if you ask me. All this stuff about rising again.”

“What of Pooka? Have you seen her recently?”

The Clurichaun looked surprised. “Didn’t you hear? She tried to get into a church.”

The Dullahan turned its shoulders to look down at its small passenger. “What? Why ever would she try such a thing?”

“She said she wanted to go home. Was going to get baptised or let it kill her.” The Clurichaun shrugged. “She was always a bit unhinged. Always did talk about finding a way back.”

After a moment, the Dullahan reached down and took the bottle from the Clurichaun. It disappeared into the region above the high collar and the Clurichaun heard a glugging sound. The bottle returned, noticeably lighter than it had been.

“You ever fancied trying to return?” The Clurichaun asked.

The Dullahan shrugged, an expressive gesture for someone without a head. “They replaced me.” He made a spitting sound. “In any case, I have my duty here now. What of you?”

The Clurichaun grinned and held up his bottle. “What, and give up this? Not on your nelly, boy. Those humans are way more creative than we ever were.”

The Dullahan looked lost in thought before he spoke again. “Maybe, if we... oh bugger!” He hauled on the rains, pulling his headless steed hard to the side. The Clurichaun was force to hold the bottle in his mouth and hang on with both hands. The coach spun around, skidding to a stop in the middle of the street.

“What was that for?” The Clurichaun managed around the bottle’s neck.

“We nearly missed the stop.” The Dullahan said. He directed the coach forwards, stopping it before it reached two yellow lines painted on the side. “Traffic wardens.” He explained at the Clurichaun’s questioning look. “One with a bit of the old ways about them tried to clamp me last month.”

“Heh, I bet that went well.”

Interesting and might well be tempted to read further.

You might rethink the 'which' within the rhyme.
Also: and this is just my own screwiness.
You have an 8, 6, 8, 4,4.
Maybe you could make it an 8,6,8,8.
However an 8,6,8,6 might work though it loses the Fey
ie: To Earth they came to hide.

That aside; Interesting story, starts with a bit of grit but too soon gets squandered away by the glib repartee. I'm not sure how to fix that and found that it quickly unravels the feeling started in the first two paragraphs.
Just a thought.

Also I'm not sure how well shoulders and neck or part of neck can convey thoughtfulness. You might have to help us with some definitive description of the physical aspect of that.

Well done for puttting it up. Be warned, I can have teeth. :)

Grim Reapers

The ones who fell went straight to hell,
The ones who won did rise.
But those which did not pick a side,
To Earth they came,
As Fey they hide.

I think this needs to be in italics, perhaps. I'm not a poet so won't comment on rhyme, meter etc.

The death coach rattled through the city streets. Belfast roads were never busy at this time of the night, but what few drivers remained didn’t take any notice of the black carriage, drawn by a headless horse, driven by its headless rider. The Dullahan flourished his whip, the length of human spine cracking and snapping in his hand.i think there is room for this to be a little more visceral. Is it heavy? Does it jerk? It was a good night. The silent streets belonged to the Dullahan, as did the soul he raced to collect. There had been few of them in recent years, but this was his. It filled him with purpose, made him remember the old days, when his coach would carry legions to their final repose. It was a good night.

He turned down Amelia Street. As he passed The Crown pubjust a little thing - its the Crown Bar, the locals will pick that up for sure. Also, which is Amelia street - the one down the side of the Crown? Maybe describe it a little, and perhaps mention somethign about the Crown's marble work, since it always stands out?, its door flew open and a small figure ran out into the middle of the road. The Dullahan had only a moment to recognise the bright yellow jacket, before he yanked on the reigns.reins Sparks flew up from the horse’s hooves as it and the carriage ground to a halt.

“Well, that was a bit close for comfort.” ," said Said a voice from the front of the horse.

“Clurichaun.” ," the - when going to a dialogue tag, its a comma The Dullahan intoned in a voice like a bell ringing in the depths of the sea.

A head topped with a mop of curly hair popped up over the horse’s neck. “Hello Dully, how’s business? Wouldn’t fancy giving me a lift, would you boy?”

The Dullahan couldn’t glare, but he nonetheless made a very good attempt. “My coach is not a taxi service.”

“Aye, but there aren’t that many that cater for the likes of us, are there?” The Clurichaun walked around to the side of the carriage, straightening his yellow jacket. “Come on , comma needed big lad, for old times’ sake?”

The Dullahan let out a sigh like a person’s dying breath. “Very well. But you must wait until I have completed my own task. I have work to do this night.”

“Fair enough, fair enough.”

The Clurichaun tried to climb up onto the box beside the Dullahan, but its diminutive stature made it difficult. In the end, the Dullahan had to lower an end of its whip for the little fey normally in Ireland it's fae - along with pub, there are just the slightest hints of an English voice. You might not be too worried about that, and it might be what you are going for, but if not and you want it authentic, the Norn Irish will pick up on those nuances (but a local writing group should catch all that) to climb up. Once Clurichan had settled down next to him, the Dullahan cracked the whip and the horse started forwards once again.

“Much obliged.” The Clurichaun reached into his jacket and produced a bottle which he uncorked. The fumes coming from it made the paint on the side of the carriage crinkle.did they actually? Or did it feel like they should? “Want some? Finest poteen, so it is.”

“If you possess alcohol, why were you in a tavern?” The Dullahan asked.

“Well, we’ve all got our jobs to do, haven’t we? Bartender hadn’t detached the beer taps.” The Clurichaun belched. “Be terrible if all that went to waste.”

“Would that be because he has yet to realise you went in and reattached them all?”

“That’s slanderous that is.” ," - last time I'll mention it ;) The Clurichaun said. “So that’s a no to the poteen then?” Except to say the fullstop is right here because you go to an action, not an he said....He tilted his head back and took a large gulp.

They rode together in silence for a while, the wheels of the coach making no noise that a human could detect. After a while, the Dullahan felt moved to ask something. “Have you seen many of the others of late?”

The Clurichaun wiped his mouth on the back of a yellow sleeve. “Not so many around these days. Leprichaun has moved in with Grogoch over on Rathlin. Said he wanted to get away from everything for a bit. Most of the others are hanging around with the courts.” The Clurichaun spat. “Most of the people of the mound are as mad as old Morning Star was, if you ask me. All this stuff about rising again.”

“What of Pooka? Have you seen her recently?”

The Clurichaun looked surprised. “Didn’t you hear? She tried to get into a church.”

The Dullahan turned its shoulders to look down at its small passenger. “What? Why ever would she try such a thing?”

“She said she wanted to go home. Was going to get baptised or let it kill her.” The Clurichaun shrugged. “She was always a bit unhinged. Always did talk about finding a way back.”

After a moment, the Dullahan reached down and took the bottle from the Clurichaun. It disappeared into the region above the high collar and the Clurichaun heard a glugging sound. The bottle returned, noticeably lighter than it had been.

“You ever fancied trying to return?” The Clurichaun asked.

The Dullahan shrugged, an expressive gesture for someone without a headnice. “They replaced me.” He made a spitting sound. “In any case, I have my duty here now. What of you?”

The Clurichaun grinned and held up his bottle. “What, and give up this? Not on your nelly, boy. Those humans are way more creative than we ever were.”

The Dullahan looked lost in thought before he spoke again small thing - it feels like you're in his pov, but here he describes how he looks, which moves us to an omnipresent pov. “Maybe, if we... oh bugger!” He hauled on the rainreinss, pulling his headless steed hard to the side. The Clurichaun was forced to hold the bottle in his mouth and hang on with both hands. The coach spun around, skidding to a stop in the middle of the street.

“What was that for?” The Clurichaun managed around the bottle’s neck.

“We nearly missed the stop.” The Dullahan said. He directed the coach forwards, stopping it before it reached two yellow lines painted on the side. “Traffic wardens.” He explained at the Clurichaun’s questioning look. “One with a bit of the old ways about them tried to clamp me last month.”

“Heh, I bet that went well.”
I quite enjoyed that - although I think it could be tightened a little for pace. Dialogue punctuation needs a little work.

I'm planning on posting part of the ending later. Hesitant to post all of it as I am wanting to submit it to a few places once it's ready. However, if people want I'm happy to message it to them.

Hey — I really liked this. (!)

I’m not on my computer so can’t do a detailed crit, so take this as you will...

It’s a bit rough in places — careful with the speech tags — but it’s hooked me. I think the poem is short enough not to verge on the confusing and snappy enough to introduce your key concept of the fey. Nice job, I look forward to more. :)

"To Earth as Fey they hide" or "On Earth as Fey they hide" would preserve the metre you establish, IMO.

The opening starts nice and dramatic - loved this use of phrase:

a voice like a bell ringing in the depths of the sea

The introduction of Clurichaun delivers a degree of comedy, which is a nice mix to see, and I'm immediately thinking "Prachett territory" which is probably a good thing.

However, I found the dialogue dragged somewhat - you opened the scene with a sense of purpose, but then it descended to light chatter. Cut this back a little back and you should be able to maintain the momentum you started with.

Aside from that, good job. :)

All just my personal opinion.

Pratchett is probably my biggest influence, so I'm very happy to hear that.

You're right, I've been told I need to work on my pacing before, so I'll give that a bit of a cut back.

Spoots, that second extract took you well over the 1500 words for the thread. Rather than cut it down to below the limit, I've shifted the whole excerpt over to a thread of its own, though for another time it's best to wait another day or two before putting up a second extract, to allow plenty of time for the first to receive comments Grim Reapers Opening Scenes part 2

Spoots, that second extract took you well over the 1500 words for the thread. Rather than cut it down to below the limit, I've shifted the whole excerpt over to a thread of its own, though for another time it's best to wait another day or two before putting up a second extract, to allow plenty of time for the first to receive comments Grim Reapers Opening Scenes part 2

Great, thanks. Sorry about that.

Taking into account the feedback on dialogue punctuation, I have been looking up a few guides. However, I have come across a few conflicting descriptions, so I was wondering if people could clarify a point for me.

When breaking up dialogue with a comma, should it come before or after the speech marks?

"Let's find another way in," he said, "this way is too well guarded."
"Let's find anouther way in", he said, "this way is too well guarded."

Always before the speech marks ie "... in," in these cases.

By the way, in this particular instance the comma after "said" is wrong in my view. If you removed the dialogue tag you're left with "Let's find another way in, this way is too well guarded." which to me isn't properly punctuated -- you need a semi colon at least after "in". Unfortunately, semi-colons don't work well when you have a dialogue tag, so I'd use a full stop instead. So the dialogue would then be "Let's find another way in. This way is too well guarded." and with the dialogue tag the full stop is deferred until after the attribution, so it becomes "Let's find another way in," he said. "This way is too well guarded."

TJ is correct (natch) but there is one time when speech marks come inside the punctuation, which is when it's not real dialogue, but what you might call "air quotes".

Wow, just like that, in fact.

Another example: He opened his game with what he called "the wombat gambit".

Unfortunately, semi-colons don't work well when you have a dialogue tag

They are uncommon, but I (and Tolkien, for what it's worth) quite like them.

"Let's find another way in," he said; "this way is too well guarded."

Pratchett? There was a healthy dollop of American Gods by Gaiman for me (which is no bad thing).

Great yarn in the making, SPoots. May I add that your idea for the recent 75 word story was along similar lines to mine, so perhaps we have tastes in common.

I loved the banter. It did feel like American Gods, and a bit Quentin Tarantino, where you get all that almost inane dialogue while major stuff is happening.

[VINCENT]
Alright, when you .... into a movie theatre in Amsterdam, you can buy beer. And I don't mean in a paper cup either. They give you a glass of beer. And in Paris, you can buy beer at MacDonald's. And you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?

[JULES]
They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?

[VINCENT]
No, they got the metric system there, they wouldn't know what the **** a Quarter Pounder is.

[JULES]
What'd they call it?

[VINCENT]
They call it Royale with Cheese.

[JULES]
Royale with Cheese. What'd they call a Big Mac?

[VINCENT]
Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.

So don't edit out too much, because you might lose some of the madness that is so evocative in your story.

Status
Not open for further replies.