DISCUSSION -- October 2017 300-Word Writing Challenge (#27)

Congratulations, Victoria! One of my votes helped, though it wasn't exactly needed. :)

I didn't get my votes in until bedtime last night, so here's my list now.

Ashleyne -- Grandmother's Garden
Ihe -- The Small
Calliopenjo -- Accusation
Peter V -- Up the Garden Path
*Victoria -- The Veil*
Wruter -- Pas ce Soir

Phyrebrat -- Bag Lady
Joshua -- The Demon of Whitecastle
mosaix -- Dial "M" for...
*Teresa -- Tidying-Up*
Dan -- Convalescence
ratsy -- Clementime the Cloaked
*TJ -- Model Citizens*

Many thanks to those who mentioned me along the way, and hugs and cake to Phyre for the lovely vote!

Congratulations, Victoria.

Thank you Cathbad for the honourable mention.

A huge thanks to Wruter and Teresa Edgerton for their votes. Makes this one of my more successful stories on sffc. Woohoo. :D

Congratulations Victoria, to win from such an amazing line up of entries is a great achievement.

I would like to add an additional thank you to TheDustyZebra for the mention and HazelRah for the stealth vote.

On a personal note I think this was probably my strongest effort for a 300 worder to date (it is certainly my favourite from any of my entries) - just unfortunate to be up against some epic story telling. Well done to all, I can honestly say I have really enjoyed reading them.

Great inspirational picture too!

Congrats Victoria :)

And thanks to everyone who found my hasty, last-minute story worthy of a mention. And even a vote!:cool:

EDIT: 2 Votes!!:eek::confused:
Thank you farntfar and Peter V:notworthy:

Congratulations, Victoria, on a terrific story, and very nice victory. We had, I think, 45 voters on 39 stories, so great job everyone, in voting.

A big thank you to farntfar, for the late vote. :) Looking forward to the next 300 worder, in January! CC

Reactions: Vaz
Congratulations Victoria Silverwolf

A big WELL DONE to the Reviewers - @Cathbad @Victoria Silverwolf

THANK YOU, gigantically for the "stealth vote" @David Evil Overlord It was a wonderful surprise bro

I just noticed a vote...thank you, mosaix!:) And many thanks to you, Starbeast, for the listing!!

You are very welcome, Cat's. Excellent work.

Thank you to everyone who mentioned my story, and a big thank you to nixie and Cathbad who voted for it.

And here are my long list, short list, and votes - Starbeast

Thank you, Teresa Edgerton for the mention. You made my night. And you are immensely welcome for me listing you. Keep up the great work.

Up to 2 votes and 4 mentions! Thanks, Peter V, Starbeast, Phyrebrat, and Teresa for the listings and dannymcq & Perpetual Man for the stealth votes.

You are extremely welcome, Johnnyjet. Stay awesome.

Well done Victoria with the veil. :)

Also major thanks to all who voted/listed/mentioned my story - I'm really amazed considering the large number of high quality entries there was.

You are tremendously welcome, Dannymcg. I really enjoyed your dramatic tale. Outstanding bro.

My STORY: Firstly, it wasn't until a few days later that I realized I forgot to involve the female Jawas in my tale a bit more. No worries though, I had fun writing it. Anyway, in the beginning, I kept thinking that many others would write about HOBBITS, or a nightmarish creature. Then one day, while I was buying doughnuts, I saw my reflection in a window and it became the image that would haunt me. You see, I was wearing my black hoodie and holding the box of doughnuts, I looked like a Sith Lord (because the hood is very large and hid the top part of my face). I suddenly recalled an idea I had for a story in the "Sekrit 9" challenge (Darth Maul & Darth Sidious working in a bakery). Well...............after the day I saw myself in a window, I could not stop thinking about it. I even had a restless night of sleep imaging the story. In the morning, I thought, "What the heck, maybe this tale was meant to be." So I wrote it and posted it immediately.

latest

Congratulations, Victoria! An excellent story and a well-deserved win! For those interested in the stats, Victoria has twice come second in the 300s but this is her first -- but certainly not her last! -- win here.

Although I shortlisted Kerry's tribute to Sir Terry P last night I forget to give it a special mention, as I also found it very touching. By the way, Salisbury Museum will have its exhibition of Sir T -- including a reproduction of his writing desk/office and lots of original images by Paul Kidby -- until January. Terry Pratchett: HisWorld | The Salisbury Museum

Ooh, I see I've had a couple more votes, which were wholly unexpected. Many Model World thanks Mouse and Ursa!

Congratulations, Victoria! A well-deserved win.

Many thanks for the lovely votes, possibly the most I've ever had in a challenge, and the even lovelier mentions and compliments. I enjoyed writing my little tribute to Sir Terry. I often think of him and his wonderful view of the world around him. Death is one of my favourite characters, and I sometimes think how much he must miss the creator.

My little story Mary's Boy Child, as soon as I saw that picture I thought "That cloaks the same colour that you always see in Catholic churches on the robe of the virgin Mary"

It got me thinking how would she have felt if Jesus had never risen?
Would she have waited all her life?

I wrote that story but then I wanted aliens, a mad re-write ensued to get them in and less Biblical but also to keep her endless grief and hopelessness

Congrats, Victoria. Nice - I was amazed to hear this was your first win, given the strength of your writing. Long overdue, I'd say. It gives me hope!

Thanks to @The Judge for the kind mention. I was beginning to feel as if I'd struck out this month, especially after the early elation of getting a vote. At the moment I feel like I'm falling into the trap of trying to make my stories too elaborate and losing & confusing people along the way.

I was beginning to feel as if I'd struck out this month, especially after the early elation of getting a vote. At the moment I feel like I'm falling into the trap of trying to make my stories too elaborate and losing & confusing people along the way.
I hesitate to critique in the Discussion thread, but I think you may be right in that assessment as far as this story is concerned. Put it up in the Improving thread if you'd like specific feedback.

I hesitate to critique in the Discussion thread, but I think you may be right in that assessment as far as this story is concerned. Put it up in the Improving thread if you'd like specific feedback.

Thanks, I might. I've been somewhat reticent to do so of late because I felt a bit like I was just spamming and I think I know the problem, I just can't help myself!

Thanks, I might. I've been somewhat reticent to do so of late because I felt a bit like I was just spamming and I think I know the problem, I just can't help myself!
It isn't spamming to ask for help! Sometimes even if we know what the problem is, we can't see a way to avoid it so we get stuck in a spiral of repeating the same error. Perhaps someone else can see a clearer path. So hie thee down there and see if anyone can give pointers.

Back