Discussion Thread -- October 2017 75-word Writing Challenge

CONGRATULAIONS on your victory, Ursa!!!

Interesting choices.

Okay, I rushed to post a 75 worder, so I could start thinking about the 300 worder. Where is the 300 worder?? ;) (Joking...I know the mods are very busy people.) Love the stories so far! CC

(edit - thanks for the review, Victoria!)

Last edited:
I came up with something after all. I'm not sure how it will be interpreted but I got a story.

Sigh! I've arrived on site earlier than ever on the First, and I'm already 5 stories down? Do you people even have to consider what your story will be? But here goes!!

@Ashleyne .... (RE-BIRTHRIGHT) ..... starts the stories with an interesting Fantasy about rebirth as an Octoperson.

@Victoria Silverwolf .... (The Voice of Leviathan) .... Rings up the second story of our challenge by reminding us that having your prayers answered might not be as perfect as expect.

@Cathbad .... (Sea, Moon, and One Determined Seafarer) .... Comes in with our third story which helps us to realize that you don't mess with a goddess.

@Cat's Cradle .... (From County Cork) .... The Cat rings up story four. It is a cautionary tale which gives American immigrants a hand out of terror.

@DragonAether .... (Be the Tuna) .... Comes in a story five. A wizard finds that a spell he casts winds up reeling himself in.

So while I was at work two more stories show up. I figure at this rate we'll have 287 stories by the end of the month!

@dannymcg .... (Last Refuge) .... Story seven appears and reminds us that it's always brightest before the light goes out.

@Calliopenjo .... (Set Sail) .... Number eight story comes with a brilliant hope that the captain will be the first. Is it a dream, a goal, or something else?

@DelActivisto .... Untamable .... Story 9, just about 26 hours into the challenge is a story which makes us question honor and what makes a traitor and a patriot.

I'm in. Was thinking of a tale about camels and voyage across sea of sand. Then sentimentality hit, at least for part.

So we get to talk about the stories in this thread?
Yep, talk away (but not so as to explain your own story as that has to stand on its own two feet without your further help). We'd like a lot more discussion of the stories themselves, but most of us have got lazy and we leave it to the few reviewers to do all the heavy lifting.

Here's the relevant rule if you are thinking of commenting:

Reviews/Critiques

We welcome short reviews of the stories entered in the Challenges since these add to the general enjoyment of the contests. There is no obligation on anyone to write such reviews, but if you are thinking of doing so, please bear two issues in mind:
  • Reviews should include every story submitted regardless of whether you like a particular story or even understand it. If you merely want to comment on a handful of entries that most appeal to you, especially when setting out a shortlist before voting, that is of course acceptable, but for anything more than that, it’s Review One, Review All.
  • Reviews should be short, and positive in tone and content.
Please note we do not allow any element of critique or criticism of the stories in the Discussion threads, which were instituted to allow members to highlight stories they especially liked, and that remains their overriding rationale. The Challenges are meant to be enjoyable and open to all, regardless of writing prowess; lengthy critiques and critical remarks are liable to damage both objectives.

The "Review One, Review All" rule was introduced to avoid a situation where someone reviewed a number of stories, missed out one, then reviewed several more, then missed another one or two, and so on, which could well cause distress for the members whose stories were omitted. (If someone is reviewing them all, but then can't continue for some reason, that's another matter, of course -- it's the picking and choosing we want to avoid.)

Back