Discussion Thread -- October 2017 75-word Writing Challenge

Congratulations, Teresa!! A well-deserved win. I'm surprised I managed to join Victoria in the silver medal as I expected her to forge ahead at the last moment, but it's good to stand alongside her on the podium!

And I see beautiful boating thanks are due for a few more mentions, so thank you Ashleyne, Hazel and Ursa!

Well done Teresa. Emerging victorious from a great batch of stories...

Congratulations, Teresa!! Well done, Victoria and TJ, for keeping it exciting till the end. Looking forward to November's challenge.

And thank you Dusty, Chris, and Heijan, for the late mentions. :)

Thank you everyone!

It was satisfying to come back with a story that was so well received after completely blanking last month (over fairy tales of all things, which I write a lot of) and not being able to come up with a thing. As compensation, maybe, I actually wrote two stories this month, but decided the mermaid story probably had a better chance. Here is the other one:

“You were fourteen days alone in the life boat?”

“Ever since I escaped the island. Thought I’d go mad for the sight of a human face. Ouch!” He slapped at his shoulder.

“Fleas, sir?”

“No. Lilliputians. Ouch! They’ve a nasty bite.”

“Sorry, sir. We’ll have to put you in quarantine for the rest of the voyage.”

He panicked. “What? No! More weeks in isolation. Why?”

“The captain won’t want the creatures infesting the crew.”

A well deserved congratulations to @Teresa Edgerton and many thanks to @Bob Senior and @Bashfull for the votes and those who shortlisted my story. With so many exceptional stories this month, I was astonished to get any mentions, much less a couple of votes. As the novel I am working on is getting into some dark/tragic territory, it was a welcome break to write something more light-hearted which may or may not have been inspired by actual bath events...

Here's hoping (and looking squarely at you, Teresa) that I will be able make another one next month which doesn't involve dead family members and/or horrific acts of violence. Then again, my sole winning story touched on this...

Thank you everyone!

It was satisfying to come back with a story that was so well received after completely blanking last month (over fairy tales of all things, which I write a lot of) and not being able to come up with a thing. As compensation, maybe, I actually wrote two stories this month, but decided the mermaid story probably had a better chance. Here is the other one:

“You were fourteen days alone in the life boat?”

“Ever since I escaped the island. Thought I’d go mad for the sight of a human face. Ouch!” He slapped at his shoulder.

“Fleas, sir?”

“No. Lilliputians. Ouch! They’ve a nasty bite.”

“Sorry, sir. We’ll have to put you in quarantine for the rest of the voyage.”

He panicked. “What? No! More weeks in isolation. Why?”

“The captain won’t want the creatures infesting the crew.”
I like this second one as well, but I think you made the right choice with the mermaid. I am always impressed with the quality of your work, and I look forward to seeing what comes in November!

Here's hoping (and looking squarely at you, Teresa) that I will be able make another one next month which doesn't involve dead family members and/or horrific acts of violence.

Well, I've chosen a theme that doesn't directly suggest dead people or horrific acts of violence, but the writers around here can find inspiration for blood and gore in any theme, so who knows?

Well, I've chosen a theme that doesn't directly suggest dead people or horrific acts of violence, but the writers around here can find inspiration for blood and gore in any theme, so who knows?

Blood and Gore, two pesky goblins who enjoy pinching ladies unmentionables off clothes lines.

I was too late to enter. Would it be bad form to post my effort for people’s feedback, please? I’m not sure what the etiquette is.

If you're sure you don't want to keep it just in case it fits another 75 worder, then you can post it here if you want, but the only feedback you'd get is praise as we don't allow critical feedback in the Discussion threads. If you want something more by way of critique, then you can post it in this Improving... thread Improving our 75 Word Stories -- READ FIRST POST

(The first post states that only stories posted in the Challenge are allowed, but we make an exception for newbies who either joined too late or who want to practise a little before entering a Challenge in earnest, so don't worry about that.)

If you're sure you don't want to keep it just in case it fits another 75 worder, then you can post it here if you want, but the only feedback you'd get is praise as we don't allow critical feedback in the Discussion threads. If you want something more by way of critique, then you can post it in this Improving... thread Improving our 75 Word Stories -- READ FIRST POST

(The first post states that only stories posted in the Challenge are allowed, but we make an exception for newbies who either joined too late or who want to practise a little before entering a Challenge in earnest, so don't worry about that.)
I will second this suggestion; they allowed me to post a couple of my practice 75s on the critique thread before I entered one, and it really helped with my learning curve. 75s are an art form which I have far from mastered, but I would be wallowing in far greater mediocrity had I not sought out critique early and often. Hopefully my frequent requests and engagement in discussion on this haven't started wearing my welcome thin yet...

Back