Your Favorite Sci-Fi Games

I played the Detroit demo and, yeah, you're right. Very good indeed. Played it three times, got three different outcomes. Don't think I'll be waiting for a price drop after all :)

A friend waged a year-long campaign to get me into Eve Online. He succeeded, and I'm both grateful and hateful that he did. It has become one of my all-time favorites, but damn it, I don't have time for the level of commitment my game brain insists upon. o_O It's really fun, though, and the free option gives you more than enough opportunity to get to know the game, to the point where you never have to pay a dime if you don't want to.

I have a lot of interest in Eve Online, but so far I have been able to resist as I'm not really a hardcore gamer. I think I'll get drawn in eventually.

On a separate note, the Eve Online books are pretty good.

I have a lot of interest in Eve Online, but so far I have been able to resist as I'm not really a hardcore gamer. I think I'll get drawn in eventually.

On a separate note, the Eve Online books are pretty good.

Well, let me be the little devil in your ear: one of the best things about Eve is the skill training system. You train in real time, even when you're not logged in, meaning playing 24/7 doesn't give you much of an advantage. In general, you can approach things in Eve with a project mindset, working towards long-term goals by making progress whenever you can without feeling like you're not getting anywhere.

I've read a few of the short stories, and I thought they were pretty good. I might give the novels a try.

And that was the last we heard of Rodders. Some say that if you listen quietly in the dead of night on the forums you can hear his ghost, echoing from the dark depths of the Eve Servers. Though what he whispers sounds like crazed ramblings of an accountant go mad in space.

So, I am an absolute tightwad, so nearly all games I play are free. Warzone 2100 is a free, post apocalyptic RTS which is pretty good, as is Star Control 2 (Ur-Quan Masters is what they call it now). If you include fantasy, Battle for Wesnoth is surprisingly deep and interesting for a turn based, free, Tolkien-eske strategy game. It will literally eat your free time and laugh at you in the process.

For paid, Sid Meyer's Alpha Centauri was an excellent game for SF strategy games. Civilization, on an alien planet, with a design workshop to create your own units and a pretty decent storyline. Sins of a Solar Empire is good also.

There are tons to mention, but to pick top 5 (series) that I played a bazillion times;
  • Mass Effect
  • Deus Ex
  • Tie Fighter
  • Dune
  • Starcraft

Half-Life 2 - Possibly the best story, most immersive gameplay that was Sci Fi and horror mixed into one. The graphics were ground breaking for its time with the Source engine. City 17 was well realised and felt real, apparently they took inspiration from the Eastern Bloc (?) in their design to give it this dreary atmosphere. I still play it today after it release 14 years ago.

Mass Effect - I loved the trilogy, pity Mass Effect: Andromeda was a let down, I never played it but heard it was bad.

I still need to pick up the Mass Effect games. Perhaps on the next Steam Sale.

Adding another indie, Star Traders: Frontiers, to my list of faves. What a fantastic game it is.

Half-Life 2 - Possibly the best story, most immersive gameplay that was Sci Fi and horror mixed into one. The graphics were ground breaking for its time with the Source engine. City 17 was well realised and felt real, apparently they took inspiration from the Eastern Bloc (?) in their design to give it this dreary atmosphere. I still play it today after it release 14 years ago.

Mass Effect - I loved the trilogy, pity Mass Effect: Andromeda was a let down, I never played it but heard it was bad.

Andromeda is not a bad game. However, if you play it after the trilogy, it feels like a ten-year-old RPG. There are a lot of writing shortcomings, no high stakes, a very bland antagonist. The combat was good, I will give them that much.

Half Life 2 was epic. It still is.

I thought I’d bump this thread as there are a few really good sf themed games that I would love to play.

Horizon Zero Dawn has just been ported to the PC and I have this in my Steam library. The back story seems really good.

I’m hoping for a port of The Last of Us which seems to be a fabulous piece of post apocalyptic Science Fiction.

Currently playing Jedi: Fallen Order. First impressions are good, but I’m not sure as it appears to be one of those games where a lot of the work is done for you. I am impressed with the way the cutscenes and the game seem to merge quite seamlessly with each other. Haven’t been able to spend much time on it and saving seems to be done only once you reach certain points in the game, so I keep having to start at the beginning.

I also downloaded Alien: Isolation, but I’ll play later when Vince starts as it’ll be nice to bounce of each other.

Favourite sci-fi games:

Zork
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Master of Orion I, II
Half-Life
Quake I, II
Alien vs. Predator (1999)
Doom series
Halo series
and hopefully Alien: Isolation and Aliens: Fireteam

HHGTTG - impossibly difficult game, but I did manage to solve the Babel fish puzzle myself!

Paradroid
Impossible Mission
Alien Breed
Tron 2.0
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Death Chase 3D
R Type

R Type. Wow, that’s going back some, PM. I must confess to having a soft spot for that sort of space shooter.

I used to quite enjoy Abe’s Odyssey and the Oddworld games. I did hear that there was a potential movie in development hell. Not sure how that’d work.

Last edited:
R Type. Wow, that’s going back some, PM. I must confess to having a soft spot for that sort of space shooter.

I used to quite enjoy Abe’s Odyssey and the Oddworld games. I did hear that there was a potential movie in development hell. Not sure how that’d work.

The Spectrum conversion (which got me into playing it) was awesome - spectacular conversion for the 48k machine. Although I could never get further than the 4th level on any version. Having seen later levels on Youtube, the action gets super impossible.

Now you mention it, I do recall mention of an Abe movie, probably because of how popular the game was. I guess it couldn't have been worse than all the other movies based on video games.

I forgot to add Dune II, 2000, and Emperor. Classic RTS'

Dune II, the original C&C game. In many ways better than the later games because you faced 2 enemies. Tbh I much preferred the original Amiga version with it's chunkier graphics to the more refined 2000 update which was made more in the style of C&C/Red Alert.

You don't mention the original Dune? Kind of a cross between a graphic adventure, RPG and war game. Stuck a lot closer to the novel than the later games, and the artwork in it was really well done.

Back