• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

Elysium Fire

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
In case any Reynolds fans haven't noticed there is a sequel - Elysium Fire - to The Prefect (and maybe more, who knows) being published next January which I'm very much looking forward to; I thought the Prefect was great and one of my favourite of his books set in the Revelation Space universe.

One word of warning though, before that (in November) The Prefect is being re-published under a different name - Aurora Rising. As far as I can tell this is exactly the same book with no changes other than the title.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I adore AR's Revelation Space books and will definitely pick up a copy of this. the Prefect was very good, but not my favourite of his.

Bugg

A Lerxst in Wonderland
One word of warning though, before that (in November) The Prefect is being re-published under a different name - Aurora Rising. As far as I can tell this is exactly the same book with no changes other than the title.
I've had to point this out to a couple of people on Facebook - they thought it was a brand new book. I don't see what was wrong with the original title but hey ho. I guess he wants a consistency to the titles for what is now the 'Inspector Dreyfus' series. I always thought Inspector Dreyfus was Clouseau's boss, so I will now have Herbert Lom in my head when I'm reading those books :ninja:

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
I've had to point this out to a couple of people on Facebook - they thought it was a brand new book. I don't see what was wrong with the original title but hey ho. I guess he wants a consistency to the titles for what is now the 'Inspector Dreyfus' series. I always thought Inspector Dreyfus was Clouseau's boss, so I will now have Herbert Lom in my head when I'm reading those books :ninja:
Exactly the same thoughts go through my mind. Surely Reynolds must have thought of that when he chose the name? Maybe, even though it's not comic, it was chosen as a sort of homage to the Pink Panther.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
Picked up my copy yesterday.

I’m really looking forward to getting back to Yellowstone.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
Okay, so I put this off so that I could finish Neal Asher’s superb Transformation trilogy. (I think I may even be avoiding it to a certain degree. Started it so day and it feels great to be back in Yellowstone.

Onyx

I found it pretty flat. Alastair Reynolds is not the guy to be writing police procedurals.

Onyx

The new one flat or the original one?
I think I enjoyed Elysium less, but I read the Prefect back when Revelation Space was still new and shiny to me, so maybe they share the same issues?

Too much of the complications in the plot come from political policy for my liking. The rules of the Glitter Band just end up seeming absurd.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I finished it this morning. It was enjoyable enough although I didn't think that the big "reveal" was too shocking.

For me, it was good to revel in the RS universe again, but I do prefer the dank and gritty post plague universe to the glitter band. I hope that Alistair returns there soon.

Leonie M. Smith

I finished Elysium Fire last week and enjoyed it, but I figured out the big reveal fairly early on. That's unusual for me! It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story, though. It was good to get back to Yellowstone.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I finished Elysium Fire last week and enjoyed it, but I figured out the big reveal fairly early on. That's unusual for me! It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story, though. It was good to get back to Yellowstone.
Hi @Leonie M. Smith and welcome to the chrons forums. :)