Three by Heinlein

1. Hoverdasher

Hoverdasher Well-Known Member

Hi everybody,

I realize I'm supposed to be reading through Orwell's 1984, yet don't we all have that stack mentioned in one of the previous threads?

I'm studying for the GRE, and I made a list of every book I wanted to read within my 57 week plan of study. I came up with 54 books, which is not possible, taking into account my style and personality.

I am a reflective reader, not a speed reader. I need to choose one of the three, and I am having trouble deciding.

About the Three.

I'm contemplating choosing one of the three Heinlein books I had intended to fit into my 57 week study plan. I'm downsizing, so my reading can be more about quality experiences rather than amassing a huge quantity of novels completed.

I presently own:

1. Stranger in a Strange Land, which I have never read, yet have listened to on audio.

2. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

And,

3. For Us, The Living

I so fell in love with Stranger, that I'm tempted to read this book, though I've already listened to it.

I've heard rumors that, For Us, The Living, is more like a set of lectures outlining all of Heinlein's thoughts in their beginnings. I've also heard that this book is quite the challenging read. Still, anything that assists me in getting to know this man, Robert A. Heinlein, is worth the read, to me.

Last, I am intrigued by the language--robotic in nature--in the beginnings of The Moon...

Has anyone enjoyed any or all of the three Heinlein novels? I am seeking opinions.

Yes, I want your opinion.

Which two novels would you cut, and which one would you choose to read?

P. S. I have found this place to be endearing. You are all kind, generous, patient, fun and even really funny...you don't judge me or berate me, as I have experienced on other sites.

I just plain like ya, so there.

Yours,

Hoverdasher

2. Vince W

Vince W Well-Known Member

I would say cut Stranger In.. and For Us... The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress is mush more accessible, than say Stranger, to people if you have to explain it in any way, and Harsh Mistress is a classic compared to the posthumously published For Us.

3. TheDustyZebra

TheDustyZebra Inspired. Or possibly insane. Could go either way. Staff Member

Of those three, if I could only read one... well, I've chosen The Moon is a Harsh Mistress more often than Stranger in a Strange Land, and I've only read For Us, the Living once. But either of the first two would do fine, and it just depends on my mood. I'm more often in a frame of mind to visit computer Mike than Martian Mike. :)

Hoverdasher likes this.
  4. Hoverdasher

Hoverdasher Well-Known Member

Thank you, I was actually tending toward The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Yet, I'll stay tuned for more opinions.

Was For Us, the Living as difficult to read as the rumors suggest?

5. TheDustyZebra

TheDustyZebra Inspired. Or possibly insane. Could go either way. Staff Member

I don't recall it very well, to be honest, but I don't remember its being difficult. Just different.

I have it around here somewhere, and probably ought to take another look one of these days -- but so many books, so little time.

6. hitmouse

hitmouse Well-Known Member

Moon is great. Stranger is peculiar and very interesting in lots of ways.

These two give contrasting glimpses of Heinlein. He was a very complex individual, and I am afraid that if you really want to get to know him you need to read a wider selection of his works.