3.12: Fear The Walking Dead - Brother's Keeper

ctg

weaver of the unseen
xu4RC3j.jpg

Volunteer Diggers (Photo by Richard Foreman Jr/AMC)

As Nick and Jake set out to handle a delicate situation, the Ranch prepares for a threat greater than any they've faced before.

This horde might even top the one trapped in the gravel pit on TWD. Nice work, Troy. Jake was especially appreciative of your herding skills.
The most shocking moment of the episode, if I heard correctly (and I rechecked), was Nick's uncensored use of the F-word. Holy S-word!

Well I thought my TV was broke there for awhile.
Troy should have been put down a long time ago, he was a loose cannon from the beginning , although he did seem to care for Jake.
Cutting off the arm I thought it would have worked it did when they cut off Hershel's leg.
The ranchers have lost their best fighter, although Alicia and Ofelia can kick ass.
The ranch falling sets the scene for the survivors going to the dam and Madison taking over.
The dead in fear never seemed as much of a threat as TWD, this episode changes that.

Yeah. Happiness is a value that runs out quickly. It is almost none existent commodity at middle of the zombie apocalypse. Life simply cannot take for granted. Not unless someone bothers makes a massive cleaning job and commit their lives to be zombie hunters.

But there are none in Kirkman's universe. Everyone are survivors. More so in the parent series, in the fear, it's the question about when you're going to die. Time before that is bitter sweet struggle. Madison and Strand certainly gets that and they try to live their lives to fullest.

The kids are different. They haven't experienced the life. They barely know about any of those things that Strand might have experienced. Otherwise Alicia would had understood that they were in deep sh*t moment she heard "...infected..." crackling in the radio.

These people are so green. They know nothing. They see the dead and they learn nothing.

Maybe this encounter with the horde teaches the survivors important things. Thing is they could have locked themselves in the bunker and tried to wait out until the horde had passed, because it's the hunger not the noise that ultimately motives the horde.

No food and they will wonder off. Keep quiet and horde might not even come around knocking. Fight with bullets and bombs and more are guaranteed to arrive.

This horde might even top the one trapped in the gravel pit on TWD.

I'm not sure. The one outside the place, where Dr Evil confessed that he has no knowledge about the cure, was around 8000 heads. The quarry had accumulated around 10 000 and they came in as a massive wave almost like it happened at the comics.

Jake was especially appreciative of your herding skills.

NUPGT7j.jpg

"No. No, No. No." Jake upon seeing the horde and it's herder.

The dead in fear never seemed as much of a threat as TWD, this episode changes that.

Actually, they have been scarier in the Fear than in The Walking Dead. Too bad those volunteer diggers didn't get to do anything at the well site.

Anyone think that the plan to defend the ranch was deeply flawed? A early retreat to the underground pantry, seal the doors and wait out the horde would have seemed the more sensible option.

Apart from that it was an excellent episode.

After second viewing I have to say this is all Nick's fault and Alicia's inabilities to make right decisions didn't help anybody. Ofelia was closest on doing anything valuable. At least she understood to arm everyone. But even then after they realised that smoke cloud was probably made by the dead, they should have withdrawn or tried making channels away from the underground "pantry."

Still it was Nick who started this by killing the old man. It was Nick who stopped Jake from pulling the trigger. It was Nick who pushed Troy off the mountain. And it was Nick who missed the wound by several inches as you can see him missing the cut mark above the elbow by striking under it. And it was Nick who didn't save the camp even though he had a chance to blow that effing car horn. That annoying beep could have turned hordes attention on the other way as we've seen it happening in the Walking Dead.

Nick also cocked everything up by not repeating the radio message. Does he not understand what "Copy" means? Alicia wasn't much better on trying to talk over Nick. 2-way isn't a bloody mobile.

7SgGvtE.jpg

Towards Ranch

wquRcJB.jpg

3000 to 4000 visible zombies

SzThznf.jpg

Very well done true explosion. It isn't a fireball, but a black, greyish cloud.

nPXILzX.jpg

Pa3F6ek.jpg

mowMG07.jpg

Close to 10 000 heads. No crawlers. No one legged wonders. Mostly freshly infected. Ranch has been located in wrong place, because those zombies would have hard time climbing those mountains. Their natural way of moving is on that valley floor.

You can also see the road leading on top of the Ranch in this picture. Nick is doing at least 80 kph, so the question is how come the horde got past them so quickly?

One of the greatest episodes in the history of the Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead. A joy to have the zombies as the main threat and causing such chaos. (Noah's death in Walking Dead (S5E14) was one of the best zombie scare deaths in the later Walking dead series. This was almost as exciting.) But also some interesting drama too.
I didn't really expect Nick to effectively kill Jake (with the push). I also thought the dam or trading place would be overwhelmed before the ranch.

Last edited: