Lady Stanhope's Manuscript and Other Stories released by Nodens Books

Extollager

Over 20 years ago, Ash-Tree Press began to publish, with the release of a collection of ghost stories by various hands. The title story was Dale Nelson's "Lady Stanhope's Manuscript," a story in the antiquarian tradition of M. R. James. That booklet has since become highly collectable. Ash-Tree released a second edition in 2002.

Douglas Anderson is the editor of The Annotated Hobbit, Tales Before Tolkien, Tales Before Narnia, H. P. Lovecraft's Favorite Weird Tales, Seekers of Dreams: Masterpieces of Fantasy, Adrift on the Haunted Seas: The Best Short Stories of William Hope Hodgson and other books. Anderson launched his own imprint, Nodens Books, a few years ago, with titles including the short stories of American fantasist Evangeline Walton, etc.

Nodens Books has now released collected supernatural fiction of Dale Nelson, who is active here at Chrons as Extollager. You may read about the collection here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0615677347/?tag=id2100-20

Good luck with this.:)

I'm curious. Does Ash-Tree Press take its name from M.R. James' The Ash Tree?

The Tolkien newsletter Beyond Bree has reviewed Lady Stanhope's Manuscript: "...very well written and hold interest. Recommended for the intellectual reader."

Titles of the stories in the volume: "Lady Stanhope's Manuscript," "Powers of the Air," "The Ergushevo Icon," "Aqualung in Svalyava," "Trolls," "Shelter Belt," "The Allegheny Exception," "Rusalka," "Dr. Wrangham's Garden," and "Pastor Arrhenius and the Maiden Brita." The collection also includes the facetious "Gone with the Wind or Whatever It Was," inspired by the Oregon Vortex.

"'Pastor Arrhenius and the Maiden Brita' by Dale Nelson is an entertaining Swedish saga à la Ingmar Bergman taking place in the last century in which a lonely clergyman has to face ancient legends and small town prejudices" -- Mario Guslandi

Customer reviews are appearing at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0615677347/?tag=id2100-20

Lady Stanhope's Manuscript has received a page-and-a-half review by David Harris in the Ghosts and Scholars Newsletter #33 (April 2018), pp. 42-43. "...varied and effective collection...well worth a read," "...all [the stories] have the sense of pleasing terror," etc.

Cheers for the heads-up on this - any chance Nodens are looking to run a promotional offer on it, so I can include it on the ones I do for chrons?

Brian, I checked with Doug Anderson, and we may well want to follow up on your offer if it can wait for a few months. I hope that'd be okay.