Lulu boo, Amazon yay?

Dave Barsby

Writer of word-blocks
Many moons ago, back when print-on-demand online self-publishing was in its infancy, I published my first novel via Lulu.com. It took a while.

Recently I decided to relaunch my book with a far nicer cover and a bit of promotion.

I went through the usual Lulu process - 2 hours to upload everything, purchase a proof copy for £10, wait a week for that to arrive then click submit and wait 6 - 8 weeks for it to upload on Amazon (which I since discovered is a bit daft because Lulu actually uses Amazon to print the books).

After 8 weeks it still had not appeared, so I contacted Lulu who told me that many weeks ago Amazon rejected the book because the text on the spine was 0.4mm too large. I was annoyed at how pedantic that was, but more annoyed that Lulu didn't bother to tell me, either the requirements during the design process or at the point where Amazon rejected it. It would mean I'd need to redo the cover, re-upload, re-order a proof copy and wait around 9 more weeks before it was on sale.

So I told them to do one and went to Amazon directly, using their beta paperback publishing option. Took me 1 hour to upload everything and it was on sale 12 hours later. So much simpler (barring a few minor teething problems with the old edition still lingering around).

But now I've done it, I'm wondering if Amazon is actually going to be a decent way to self publish. Anyone else using them? If so, any problems or is it all running smoothly?

I go through Createspace directly rather than the Amazon interface, but I've had no problems except for Createspace's antiquated book shipment setup. If I order my book from Amazon, Amazon collect import tax for Canada (but it costs more). If I order from Createspace, they just mail it in a box, and I get charged $2 in tax plus something like $15 in fees for Canada Post collecting the tax to pay to the courier who Createspace used.

Given they're owned by Amazon, you'd think they could do deliveries the same way.

But, yeah, they're pretty tight on the cover requirements because the print-on-demand process can't guarantee precise placement of images relative to the folds in the cover. You generally don't want your spine title to end up being across the fold.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Publishing 4
Amberfire Writing Resources 8
P Publishing 5
Cheehwawa Writing Resources 6
D Publishing 8