Fantasy recommendations from the past

Overread

Searching for a flower
So I figured this might be an interesting idea to peruse.

Typically only a tiny fraction of what's published remains in the lime light enough to remain popular or at least well known today's readers. However there's a vast wealth of older publications which can be just as good or even better which are just less well known/marketed. Many might also be the inspiration for latter tales that we've read today by more modern authors.

So I figured it would be good to pick the minds of Chrons and see what golden oldies we can pick out and recommend for reading.

I'm thinking of things that are not too mainstream and roughly 20 years or older in publication (only a rough estimation, of course anything lesser known is valid to suggest). This might prove to be a useful thing for those nosing through secondhand book shops and stalls looking for a few gems; or even through the online libraries for those publications that have expired their copyright and moved into public domain.

As I've said to try and avoid too many popularly known publications I'll list a few of them to get them out of the way (and because I honestly don't know much of the older classics myself to suggest them up); and because they might well be well known to use but not to all fantasy fans.

Robert E. Howard - Conan series. Swashbuckling adventures of a barbarian through his fantasy age of Hyboria. Meet powerful warriors, evil mages, monstrous serpents and more. Adventure is the best way to summarise his stories; with the epic nature building up over a long series of individual trials and adventures.

HP Lovecraft - a name synonymous with mind twisting madness and insanity that was his dominant theme in many of his tales. Monsters and beasts of madness and twisted ideals his name linked to many a mythology of his own making including the mighty Cthulhu.

Both Howard and Lovecraft have passed into copyright expired; but there exist quite a few newer publications that collect their works together; often focusing on their most well known stories/characters.

The Steel of Raithskar by Randall Garrett, Vicki Ann Heydron (first of 7 books) - there was a whole generation of writer where fantasy transposed/teleported or otherwise stole people (often men) from the then modern world into the worlds of fantasy. This is one such story and is one of the few using the mechanic which I've enjoyed reading as the writers set the scene well for the acceptance/mechanic of the transportation and also for the character, especially the character having weaknesses (oft as not those transposed gain a very powerful status rather all too quickly).

Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly
- the tale of adventure as one reluctant dragon slayer heads forth to slay a dragon plaguing peoples of the land; finding far more than just a beast to slay. A great read and continued on in several latter books.

Not obscure and still popular.

Roger Zelazny - Chronicles of Amber

Gene Wolfe - Book of the New Sun

Glen Cook- Black Company

Poul Anderson- Broken Sword /Three Hearts and Three Lions

Last edited:
Not obscure and still popular.

Roger Zelazny - Chronicles of Amber

Poul Anderson- Broken Sword /Three Hearts and Three Lions

Definitely those nixie mentioned above.

I would add:
Hiero's Journey, by Sterling E. Lanier

The Sword and the Satchel, The Elves and the Otterskin, The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart, The Wizard and the Warlord, by Elizabeth Boyer

The Drawing of the Dark, by Tim Powers

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirlees
Little Big by John Crowley
Nifft the Lean by Michael Shea

Pretty much anything fantasy by Michael Moorcock, Fritz Lieber, Jack Vance.

Lord Dunsany- King of Elfland's Daughter

Completely forgot that Dennis Wheatley done a few Lost World novels.
I read a couple as a teenager The Man Who Missed the War/ Unchartered Seas he also wrote They Found Atlantis.
I think he also wrote a couple of science fiction novels.

The Kane the mystic Swordsman series by Karl Edward Wagner . This is an excellent series.

1.Bloodstone
2.Darkness Weaves
3. Dark Crusade
4.Death Angels Shadow
5. NightWinds

Tales From the Dying Earth
by Jack Vance
The Eternal Champion Saga by Michael Moorcock.
The Well at The End of the World by William Morrison
Lilith by George MAcDonald
Book of the Three Dragons by Kenneth Morris
The Dark World by Henry Kuttner
Elak of Atlantis by Henry Kuttner
Black Gods Kiss by C L Moore
Jurgen by James Branch Cabell
The High Crusade by Paul Anderson
Magus Rex by Jack Lovejoy
The Lost Continent by C J Cutcliffe Hynd
Lest Darkness Falls by L Sprague De Camp
The Tritonian Ring by L Sprague De Camp
The City of the Singing Flame by Clark Ashton Smith
Om the Secret of Arbor Valley by Talbot Mundy
The Ship of Ishtar by Abraham Merritt
John The Balladeer by Manley Wade Wellman
The Reign of Wizardry by Jack Williamson
Silverlock by John Myers Myers

One book i will recommend is E R Eddison' s The Worm Ouroboros took me a number of attempts over the years before I finished reading it but it was worth it.

There are more books in that series.:)

I would add:

The Sword and the Satchel, The Elves and the Otterskin, The Thrall and the Dragon's Heart, The Wizard and the Warlord, by Elizabeth Boyer

The Drawing of the Dark, by Tim Powers

I remember Elizabeth Boyer's books with fondness.

Katherine Kurtz's Deryni books were always favourites of mine from years ago.

Also Harry Turtledove's first four books in his Legion of Videssos cycle.

Magician's Law Tales of the Bard by Michael Scott is a bit of a cult classic for me. Really underrated.

Not high fantasy or S&S,

Lord Dunsany: Gods of Pegana
James Thurber: The 13 Clocks; The Wonderful "O" (children's lit, but adult friendly)
Arthur Machen: The Three Imposters
Charles Finney: The Circus of Dr. Lao
Fritz Leiber: Conjure Wife; Our Lady of Darkness
Manly Wade Wellman: Who Fears the Devil?
Ray Bradbury: The October Country; Something Wicked This Way Comes
Peter Beagle: A Fine and Private Place; The Last Unicorn
Jonathan Carroll: The Land of Laughs; Voice of Our Shadow; The Bones of the Moon
R. A. McAvoy: Tea With the Black Dragon

Randy M.

Another vote for Barbara Hambly - she is still writing - and also writing "further adventures" novella eBooks of her characters from her earlier fantasy including Jon Aversyn of Dragonsbane
As well as Dragonsbane series - SunWolf and Starhawk, which starts with Ladies of Madrigyn - and is now available as a three in one book so cheaper.
Realm of Darwath
A not sparkly vampire who dunnit sort of series set in a very historically accurate Edwardian period - all over Europe (now reached WW1). Very good on the characters of the vampires and the impact of having grown up in Philip 2 Spain and come to England in his train for Philip's marriage to Mary Tudor.
Go to Amazon and put in Barbara Hambly and you will find more still.

Another one for Katherine Kurtz too - Deryni and her later works.

Also RA MacAvoy, Tea with the Black Dragon.

I would add:

I've never read it, but the review of it in Tor's Gygax Studies series means I very much want to.

Not high fantasy or S&S,

Lord Dunsany: Gods of Pegana

Seconding this, although if tales of literal interventionist gods isn't high fantasy, then I don't know what is :p

A few more thoughts

Possibly too mainstream, but the Deverry series by Katherine Kerr is one of the better things to come out of the 80s but fairly little known.

Peter Morwood's The Horse Lord is of a similar vintage and a lot of fun.

Doh.
I meant Deverry by Katherine Kerr and her later works.
However Dernyi by Katherine Kurtz is also good though a little confused in chronology. (As in each book is a good story, but I seem to remember the occasional change of worldbuilding/chronology over the set of books so get the occasional contradiction. It is more a set of books than a true series.)

The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgeson

The Other Side - by Alfred Kubin
The Dark Domain - by Stefan Grabinski
The Black Spider - Jeramias Gotthelf

Non of these were originally written in English but you can get translations.

Crom by Kenneth Flint
And The Devil Will Drag You Under by Jack Chalker
Weaveworld by Clive Barker

Last edited:
I've never read it, but the review of it in Tor's Gygax Studies series means I very much want to.

Seconding this, although if tales of literal interventionist gods isn't high fantasy, then I don't know what is :p

A few more thoughts

Possibly too mainstream, but the Deverry series by Katherine Kerr is one of the better things to come out of the 80s but fairly little known.

Peter Morwood's The Horse Lord is of a similar vintage and a lot of fun.

It seems Katherine Kerr has fallen on tough times. She has had to use all of her savings looking after her seriously ill husband.

688300[1].jpg

The first of a loosely connected 10 book series. When they invented the word 'cult classic' this is what they meant.