Discussion Thread -- September 2017 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Well, thirty eight entries leaves us a mere four short - and Cory Swanson, ratsy, Stable, Teresa Edgerton, The Judge, TheDustyZebra, TitaniumTi and Tywin haven't yet offered up submissions. Not a massive reserve, true, and a couple more newcomers, or a not recently or two would still be appreciated.

And many thanks to Victoria and Parson for the reviews, and especially Shyrka and Perp for the rhymes.

or a not recently or two would still be appreciated
Well, I'm in. Anyone who knows Scottish and Irish rural history will probably recognise the reference.
Also had to edit: realised the copy and paste didn't go to plan. Only been using computers for twenty-odd years. :eek:

Many thanks for the runner-upping, Luiglin. :)

And many, many thanks for the vote, Cathbad. :):)

I dithered for a while between two stories, Victoria Silverwolf and Peter V, finally I voted for Peter's Teddy Bear story - I liked the ending especially :)

Thank you for the vote dannymcg

I do not know if it is exclusively a little British rhyme and as such I am not sure how many people will spot the relevance of the ending (y)

Very interesting challenge this time and an extremely impressive and imaginative array of entries. My favourites...

Cathbad The Red Hood Very 21st century interpretation. Couldn't really classify it as SF or fantasy though - more a crime story. A good one though (y)

Luiglin Folderol ** Great take on Jack and Jill and very well written. Protagonist character development in 75 words - when I read this I knew I was going to struggle.

dannymcg Dinner Bell Genuinely horrific SF twist on this rhyme.

hopewrites Jack's Last Request. So that's why Jack was a good boy! :LOL:

Culhwch ** Not So Fair Impressive dark fantasy and clever use of key words from the fairy tale.

mosaix I Have A Cunning Plan... Back story to Rumpelstiltskin. Clever

johnnyjet Little Miss Musket Fantastic play on words for the title. I would have included this for the title alone but its a good take too.

Ursa major * The Failure of Rocker B(i) or So not about the Glorious Revolution Impossible not to include this entry. Punning at its masterful best. Love it :ROFLMAO:

Lots of other good entries which I apologize for not mentioning. Some were very well written but I did not recognize the tale or rhyme which is my bad!

Putting Ursa third and for me it was very difficult to separate Luiglin and Culhwch but ultimately giving the nod to Culhwch. I am not sure why but I have a penchant for darker tales :(

Abernovo showed us that the benefits of an action depend on who's ox is being gored.

The Judge advised us that it only takes on person of courage to overcome outdated traditions.

TheDustyZebra warned us to be careful not to be unintended harm to our fellow creatures.

TitaniumTi allowed us to feel the pain of a loss which cannot be restored.

Mad Alice demonstrated how a surgical strike can be more effective than a broad onslaught.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Gosh, this was a tough one to judge. After much thought, I cast my vote for "The Last Fairy in England" by TitaniumTi for its combination of fantasy and realism, and for walking the fine line between genuine emotion and sentimentality.

Last edited:
DragonAether challenges with tense particularly the ‘had’,
Now we know that what happened to OMD was particularly bad,
Abernovo says they come to steal and benefit their all,
Fermenting rebellion and precipitating their own fall,
Ring a ring of roses, carrying somewhat lethal posies,
TJ’s maids send the monsters into its final reposes,
Like TDZ you sometimes dread what your children might find,
Allowing for time distillation it might become the last of its kind,
TitaniumTi gives us death of fey where the cat fell,
The end of things, ringing a final double knell,
Tyrannical subjugation Alice shows, is enough to make you weep,
Allow this nightmare to end, with a kiss to wake you from your sleep.

Thank you to Victoria and Perp for the reviews. Loving the rhyming couplets, by the way, Perp.
And, a huge thank you for the listing, @Vaz!

Haven't read any of the entries, yet. That's the next task. Somehow, not expecting it to be an easy choice.

Reactions: Vaz

Back