Discussion Thread -- September 2017 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

I hesitate to critique in the Discussion thread, but I have to confess that the last line did rather spoil the incredible wordplay for me, as to my mind it read as a knowing afterthought. It's a pity you couldn't have got "wind" in there earlier on in another context. Still, I seem to have been a minority of one in my carping! Ten votes and no one near!!

And that's exactly how I felt about it, too! But it was still breathtakingly horrific, so that was ok.

I am too lazy - when I am seeking a previous post of mine - to scroll down to find the post, so I do a search - and I type 'cradle' as my search word. And - vain hummingbird that I am - I had a rush because it seemed my name had been mentioned five times on the page I was searching - people were talking about me!! But then I sought out that storm of cradles, and found this, from Ursa:

Rock-a-bye
, baby, in the treetop
When the wind blows the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks the cradle will fall
Down will come baby, cradle and all...

Ah well...if I want to be talked about here, I'll have to write better stories. :)

And the actual point of this post:

quite a few appeared more re-tellings rather than the real events which lay behind the later stories

I did exactly this...and I knew I did this. And I think I often do this - miss the theme. It's very nice just to be a part of the team of entrants. But I know I need to pay bit more attention to hitting the genres/themes correctly, if I ever want to be relevant again. (I'm just not sure if I want to be relevant.:))

But I do love the challenges. Looking forward to your choices, Ursa (and the 300 worder).

Now...off to seek more cradles!! ;)

But it was still breathtakingly horrific
I was relying on the groan overload that the penultimate line promised to deliver... and did deliver for enough voters, by the look of it.

If it wasn't that the 300-worders aren't meant to expand on an existing 75-worder, I might have tried to sort the problem out (and "kind of" reference the other verses) in the forthcoming 300-worder.... :eek::devilish::)

Congrats @Ursa major :)

I think that is the best I've done for a long time. Cheers for the votes @Phyrebrat and @The Big Peat and for the many mentions folks.

Exrtra special thanks to...

Luiglin Folderol ** Great take on Jack and Jill and very well written. Protagonist character development in 75 words - when I read this I knew I was going to struggle.

In the end I had to give it to Luiglin, who just seemed to nail it with exactly what it said on the tin. I liked the simplicity and the visuals.

...for those extra words. They've certainly helped give me a boost.

As to the entry. Ever since I was a kid I could never work out why Jack fell down or Jill came tumbling after. What had scared them? Were they just plain clumsy? Now I know, it was a polite troll called Folderol who'd just happend to make his home down a dried up well.

"Damn kids."

WHAT? You say Ursa Major won! I didn't see that coming,wow!
OK, just kidding, what a win, Congrats Ursa Major, great job.

I want to thank, Cathbad, Titanium Ti, Perp Man, Johnny Jet and Starbeast for the listings. Thank you all.

Also a big thank you to Victoria, Parson, Perp Man and Shyrka for the reviews.

I did not know if my entry would even qualify as a story and figured it may be disqualified, so the favorite listings are especially appreciated.
I had another comment about Mother Goose, your Christmas goose and gooses in general but luckily I only had 75 words to work with.

Bob (always going for the laugh)

@Shyrka - and a huge AWESOME AWARD for being a top reviewer this month.

Sorry I forgot to mention you pal. I was somewhere doing something stupid. (yes, I'm the buzzard)

309527.gif

I have to apologise as the end of the month got away from me and I missed the voting cut-off. By a fair bit. I need to set a reminder or something for next month.

But congrats to Urse - a deserving winner!

And many thanks to nixie and Peter V for their votes, and thanks too for the numerous kind mentions and listings - it was very nice after a couple of months off from the challenge caused by some general listlessness and lack of inspiration! Thanks also in that regard to LittleStar for an inspiring theme and genre! No pressure or anything, Urse!

You got it, Perpetual Man.

My only problem with this challenge was that I couldn't get it into the requested genre. While that might have me kicked out of most contests, I hoped that at least it might add something to the story.

Back