The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O (thoughts?)

Joshua Keeling

I don't know if anyone has read, or in my case listened to the very well made audio book version of The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O? I just completed my listen and have a kind of mixed bag of emotions about the experience.

As the first post I'll keep it big spoiler free but generally my comments are...

Positive - Great way of re-imagining old concepts.

Very impressive collection of writing styles and historical research involved.

Funny and overall entertaining.

Negative/unsure - A collection of cliché or non-existent character arcs.

Some worn out plot devices (a quite annoying will they/ won't they thing)

Unresolved ending (the book not being of a philosophical stance which makes this understandable - e.g. books by P.K.Dick) which I guess may lead to a sequel, but for such a large book (audio book - 26hours), I'm lacking the investment to carry on at the moment.

Thoughts?

Who wrote it? What is it about, roughly?

Written by Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland - it's about the rediscovery of 'magic' by a United States secret service unit, and attempts to use the abilities of witches to support US operations. It's written with a science fiction bent, and focusses mainly on time travel adventures to the past.

I haven't read that particular Neal Stephenson book, but some of his others are definitely worth checking out if you like his style and humour. I'd suggest Snow Crash in particular if you haven't already read it, @Joshua Keeling (and welcome to the forum!:)) though I enjoyed Cryptonomicon almost as much.

Back