Game of Thrones: 7.06 - Beyond the Wall

I think Bran's situation is more complicated. If he knows the ultimate outcome is favorable, why interfere along the way? Why save her ships if the current path they are on leads to success over the night king anyway?

There is also the question of how his own interference may disrupt the flow of events. The mad king theory, if true, is a fine warning of the danger of interceding. So was Hodor. I expect he will only want to interfere at the last moment when no other options are available... No reason to move every piece at all times.

Bran sees the past, not the future. And at times the present through warging

Well ... this was a strange episode.

The idea of capturing one of the walking dead looked increasingly silly. Additionally, knowing they needed a) obsidian, and b) fire, they brought neither!

The episode felt like it ran through a string of horror cliches - everything from the male bonding on the road, the redshirts, to the hero and best buddies surviving a siege, to Benjen appearing at the end to sacrifice himself (why?) to save Jon. And how on earth did Dany find them in an area as huge as a the Land beyond the Wall, and in such quick time (the way the passing of time has been dealt with has been a problem recently)?

I'm also struggling to understand why Jon and The Hound and the giant fellow aren't about to turn into Wights - isn't that what normally happens when the white walkers wound you? Or am I getting mixed up? Simply that at one point I was convinced that the Hound was going to become infected, and end up as Undead Sandor - who would then be able to successfully take on Undead Clegane - and that was before he got his hand bitten!

Also, wouldn't taking one of the undead to King's Landing be a pretty stupid idea? Isn't that asking for the dead to somehow escape, therefore tuning King's Landing into a zombie apocalypse? IS that what the bitter-sweet ending is going to be - that Dany will end up having to burn down Zombie King's Landing??

I don't know if I'm being harsh - Dany leading her dragons against the white walkers is something I was hoping to see from the beginning. But the way this episode went left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied and underwhelmed.

It was an interesting episode on some levels - but too often felt like cheap TV, where you have to leave your brain at home.

One more point - is Sansa distrusts Littlefinger, why does she confide in him so much rather than someone else? Confide in Brienne and she'd be quick to tell her to isolate Littlefinger. However, kudos to Sansa for being the first leader to actually think of sending a delegation, rather than make a personal appearance in the most dangerous of circumstances (as everyone else has done).

EDIT: One more thing - I seem to recall discussions about ice dragons from the novels ... so it would be a little surprising if there's only one - but then, why do the wights never win if they did?

Last edited:
Well ... this was a strange episode.

The idea of capturing one of the walking dead looked increasingly silly. Additionally, knowing they needed a) obsidian, and b) fire, they brought neither!

The brought and used both. Both Berric and Thoros had flaming swords - and used them. There were several Dragonglass daggers in play. Killing the bear and in the seige.

I'm also struggling to understand why Jon and The Hound and the giant fellow aren't about to turn into Wights - isn't that what normally happens when the white walkers wound you? Or am I getting mixed up?

Yes - you're getting mixed up. This is Game of Thrones not The walking Dead. They need to KILL you not just bite you.

Thinking more about this, and how the TV show diverges from the books...

In the books, IIRC we have the Horn of Winter which is capable of bringing down the ice wall, plus one of the Greyjoys has a horn for controlling dragons.

Therefore in the books there will be no need for the contrived expedition to capture a wight, thus losing a dragon in the process - which the TV series had to use to bring down the wall as I don't believe they've covered the horns in the TV series.

That's true. There is a lot of fuss with the Greyjoys and the Horn in the books. Of course it doesn't necessarily work. Maybe there is some other mad antics such as Bronn or Jamie killing a dragon.