Chrons Dublin and Belfast cluster meet -2019

For anyone looking to go to Dublin... finding accommodation is a nightmare and it will get worse after Jan when the hotels go on sale (as those waiting to see what the con has to offer will make their decision and may look elsewhere). This week, it was clear with my interactions from house owners that they are getting a lot of queries and bookings for the con.

I've just booked a place with a few other Chronners, and here's the lowdown I got from the Dubliners before I did so (I'm not from Dublin, and it's a bit of a maze of a city)

The city centre is ruinously expensive.
The luas is two tram lines that cross the city. The green line runs to the south, the red to the north. They do not directly join up but you can walk between them to join to the other line. However, for the purposes of the Con, you want to be on the red line. Those run frequently, and until quite late. Going out as far as Red Cow takes about half an hour on the line.
The Dart is the train network. You can use it and stay a little out of Dublin - I'd advise to the north, as the con is in the north of the city.
Driving is a complete nightmare. I'm going to bring my car, have a nervous breakdown getting it to the house, and then leave it there for the week. I'm only doing that because I'm bringing books for my publisher. It's easy to get into the city from the airport by bus or taxi - and I'd advise doing that rather than hiring a car.

Was reading the latest Dublin Progress Report and they're still accepting submissions for program participants... I have to say, I was tempted, especially as I know Erin who's on the programming team — she runs programs for Boskone, the con I go to every year (2019 will be my third year as a panelist) and she does a great job with mixing established names and baby newcomers like me. But then I looked at the confirmed participant list and got cold feet. ;)

Anyone considering sending in a submission?

Was reading the latest Dublin Progress Report and they're still accepting submissions for program participants... I have to say, I was tempted, especially as I know Erin who's on the programming team — she runs programs for Boskone, the con I go to every year (2019 will be my third year as a panelist) and she does a great job with mixing established names and baby newcomers like me. But then I looked at the confirmed participant list and got cold feet. ;)

Anyone considering sending in a submission?

I’m in. I also need you to put in a submission (and @millymollymo @Kerrybuchanan ) for the anthology. That gives you the excuse you need, yes?

Ah, ok. I had a look through my saved emails and all I have is the PayPal payment receipt from way back when I registered. Do you think I need to check in with them?

Give it a week or so and if you haven’t received anything more, let me know. They’re transferring memberships to Grenadine at the moment.

Like an actual ticket? (I just have the email confirmation for it...)
The email I received had a one-page A4 attachment (a pdf), which contains the ticket (plus a recommendation to create a Grenadine account).

The ticket has both a barcode and QR code, plus one's registration number and ticket number.

Hope everyone has a good time at both events. Sadly won't be making it to either. Funds are tight this year. If I hadn't booked and paid for Eastercon at the end of last year I wouldn't be going there.

Well, I've finally booked my accommodation in Dublin. :)

Now all I have to do is get there...

EDIT: ...and speaking of which, Ryanair is restarting its flights from the local airport to Dublin from April this year! :)

Last edited:
Both** hotels and both flights booked now. :)

I'm not going from the local airport: the outbound flight isn't available on the day I want to travel, and Dublin hotels are expensive enough without adding another night. (And I'd have to be coming back via Southampton airport anyway.) Besides, Southampton airport is only about 30 miles or so farther away, and I was going to be using either a coach or airport taxi (or train: there's a station right next to the airport) to get there (and back) anyway.

** - There is the slight matter of the two nights between the two cons. Can anyone recommend a good hedgerow somewhere between Dublin and Belfast.... (I expect I'll be staying in the Belfast hotel, or another one in the city if I necessary, so all I need now is a train*** or bus ticket.)

*** - I've never travelled on 5'3" gauge track.