Chrons Dublin and Belfast cluster meet -2019

Okay - looking at Dublin accommodation more earnestly. Talking with some Dub mates on Facebook. Here’s the low down

The city centre is really expensive. The only option there is hostel accommodation which will be really busy in Aug. I don’t mind that but there is another option.

The convention centre lies on the red Luas line -tram system. They are regular and run to 12.30 pm.

If we’re prepared to look at that option there is an Ibis out at Red Cow. That’s about 30 mins on the Luas. That option is around £350 for 5 nights - they’re budget hotels but generally okay.

I’m also looking into how hard the drive would be (central Dublin is nuts) and taking my car in from somewhere like the airport/Swords might also be possible.

@Abernovo @Juliana @millymollymo

On top of travel I still have a lot of saving to do to meet a £350 spend. I've been looking too, and from here I can hop a plane via Amsterdam to Dublin (WTF?) and get the 5 nights for less - or could when I was window shopping earlier last month.
Still not sure what mess March is going to make on the travel though.

On top of travel I still have a lot of saving to do to meet a £350 spend. I've been looking too, and from here I can hop a plane via Amsterdam to Dublin (WTF?) and get the 5 nights for less - or could when I was window shopping earlier last month.
Still not sure what mess March is going to make on the travel though.
Yeah - there are no cheap options in Dublin :( - what I might do is reduce the nights. If I drive down as far as Swords and leave my car at the airport I could arrive Mon lunchtime. Similarly, hit the road on the Friday. And if I have nothing on on either of those days I might even cut it a little shorter again. It depends on income between then and now I guess

I can afford the £350. But still got to get there and, as @millymollymo says, the current uncertainty (about issues we will not mention) mean I cannot plan or budget for that yet. Trying to save up money.

Don't really mind which hotel, so long as it's clean, and not too far to travel. If I am to go to both Dublin and Belfast, it means extra nights somewhere. Oh well, if I don't eat, I can save money and lose weight, right? ;)

One thing for anyone who is searching hotel prices, flights, etc.: you might want to search in an anonymous/incognito window (right click the link, and the option will be listed); it prevents sites storing cookies from your last session. Some sites recognise your interest and then bump up prices as an incentive to "buy now before it's too late" (or rather, try to hurry you into a decision before you've checked all the options). Or just clear your cache and cookies each time.

I can afford the £350. But still got to get there and, as @millymollymo says, the current uncertainty (about issues we will not mention) mean I cannot plan or budget for that yet. Trying to save up money.

Don't really mind which hotel, so long as it's clean, and not too far to travel. If I am to go to both Dublin and Belfast, it means extra nights somewhere. Oh well, if I don't eat, I can save money and lose weight, right? ;)

One thing for anyone who is searching hotel prices, flights, etc.: you might want to search in an anonymous/incognito window (right click the link, and the option will be listed); it prevents sites storing cookies from your last session. Some sites recognise your interest and then bump up prices as an incentive to "buy now before it's too late" (or rather, try to hurry you into a decision before you've checked all the options). Or just clear your cache and cookies each time.
The not too far to travel is the key bit. Is half an hour in and out reasonable? If not, I'll have to start looking in the city. Not that that's impossible, but it will take a bit more searching. :) ]

The in-between will bump up the cost, too, but I think it might be more doable to get something in and around Belfast, maybe a small self catering. I also have a sofa bed here but, alas, only room for one person or I’d put you all up :)

Last edited:
The not too far to travel is the key bit. Is half an hour in and out reasonable?
Half an hour each way isn't too bad. I just don't know what public transport is like for Dublin, or for Belfast, for that matter.

As to the sofa bed, I thought we had that sorted. A Chrons tent city on the picturesque "Game of Thrones" coastline, from where we nip round to yours for cup of tea, and a barbecue. :p

Last edited:
Half an hour each way isn't too bad. I just don't know what public transport is like for Dublin, or for Belfast, for that matter.

As to the sofa bed, I thought we had that sorted. A Chrons tent city on the picturesque "Game of Thrones" coastline, from where we nip round to yours for cup of tea, and a barbecue. :p
I'm not too knowledgeable about Dublin but have the right people to ask (the express to Swords, for instance, is really only during the week, so I think that option isn't great.) Belfast is mostly fine but public transport out of the city ends quite early.

I'm fine with the 30m each way commute - if we all go together we'll be chatting and it will go fast. (It'll be like our daily con warm-up and cool-down session!)

I'm fine with the Ibis price, and if they have a 2 single bed option I'd be happy to share the room. The advantage of a hotel like Ibis over, say, a rented apartment or something is people can always book individually and cancel later if they can't make it.

Re Belfast, I'd thought about just going with the con hotel (I remember Jo saying it's reasonable) but could do self-catering too if anyone wants.

My idea is to arrive in Dublin a couple of days before the con starts, since I've never been and would like a bit of time to explore first, and then go up to Belfast on the Monday after to do the same there. I figured I'd take advantage and do some touristing since I have no idea when I'll be able to return!

EDIT: Just looked at the Ibis site; for 7 nights it's giving me US$ 750 (That's for the option that allows cancellation; was a bit cheaper otherwise but who knows what life will be like next year!). That's just over 100 US$ per night, which is pretty darn reasonable, at least compared to the hotels I've used in NYC and Boston! I'm fine with commuting in each day.

Last edited:
I’m at Octocon in two weeks - I thought I’d pick up some brochures on b and bs etc. Internet searches can be limited so thought I’d look and see the full tourist board brochures.

Touristy things in Belfast, Ju - the Titanic centre is ace and kids would like it too, I think. Also W5, a science museum thing, is cool and there’s a decent museum with nice gardens attached. :)

And pubs. Lots of pubs. In most hotel pubs kids are welcome until about 9pm with an acceptance of that.

I’m at Octocon in two weeks - I thought I’d pick up some brochures on b and bs etc. Internet searches can be limited so thought I’d look and see the full tourist board brochures.

Sounds good.

As for family, it's going to be just me. It was going to be insanely expensive for all of us to go, so we decided I get a little trip to Ireland on my own. :)

got a great discount for it being my first world con and being Some Sort of Irish.
Yep, I got a First WorldCon discount, and a small discount for having backed the bid - basically got my money back. As to 'Some Sort of Irish', I've got an Irish mate I went to uni with; does that count?

Yep, I got a First WorldCon discount, and a small discount for having backed the bid - basically got my money back. As to 'Some Sort of Irish', I've got an Irish mate I went to uni with; does that count?
Yeah, I got mine on the first World Con discount too. Plus I think I got a slightly lower price for booking early, too.

They’ve stopped the 1st world con discount so I thought I’d missed out and it would be over 200 Euro. Turns out they still have it but only for residents of the island of Ireland :D