Chrons Dublin and Belfast cluster meet -2019

Block booking may be the way to go. I was looking at Dublin prices and expecting something like this. So long as I have my own room and an en-suite bathroom, I'll be happy. Wait for August, to see what they have been able to arrange, then we can all start planning. (Planning...bwahaha! Sorry.)

I know Belfast is cheaper, but is there likely to be an issue with availability? I can see quite a few people doing the double con. I've bought tickets for both.

I know Belfast is cheaper, but is there likely to be an issue with availability? I can see quite a few people doing the double con. I've bought tickets for both.
I can’t see Belfast being a problem. It might not be city centre but Belfast is tiny so easy to go to the suburbs a little.

A lot of the hostels have family rooms and what not now, as well as individual rooms and en suites etc. I know I’m already looking a little out of the city. I’ll have the car though - although Dublin Centre is not where I’d want to drive!

Not good news here
As this will be only my third foreign holiday -- the first two were more than thirty years ago and all my (many) other visits to foreign destinations have been on business -- I think I can afford to treat myself in 2019.

Okay, Eastercon 2019 is, I believe, being held at Heathrow (same hotel as in 2015), also not the cheapest place to stay if one wants to be close to the venue, but that's life.

To be honest I can't plan that far ahead at the moment. Lots has happened so far this year in real life, and as a result of that means a hell of a lot more things will happen in the next few months. It is not the money that will be the problem, but all the other stuff that could, hopefully, be happening. The only Con I will be going to for sure next year is Eastercon 2019. Membership paid for, but hotel bookings not open yet.

Eastercon 2019. Membership paid for
I'm glad you reminded me that I could book. :) (As I haven't attended since 2015, I've fallen off the mailing list.)

It's a shame that I missed the 30 April deadline** for paying £10 less, but that'll be just noise if I stay at the convention hotel again (which I hope to do).

** - Which reminds me: I need to book this year's Bristolcon. (I think the dealine for the lowest payment hasn't yet expired....)

BOOK ALL THE THINGS :D
Ahem.
News about hotel prices was, to be fair, very expected. Dublin's not exactly struggling to fill rooms is it? It is also going to be the make or break of us all going. Belfast is still on the todo - but not yet forgotten.

A friend of mine was saying on Facebook that she saw the Dublin hotels post and immediately started looking at AirBnB options, apparently there are options for about £80 per person per night relatively close to the venue, which does sound more reasonable than hotel prices mentioned on the Con website.

Okay, Eastercon 2019 is, I believe, being held at Heathrow (same hotel as in 2015), also not the cheapest place to stay if one wants to be close to the venue, but that's life.

When I went to EasterCon in 2015 I stayed at a Premier Inn about 10-15 minutes walk away from the Park Inn which I seem to remember being reasonably priced (for London, anyway).

I've looked into it more today. I don't see my family coming with me as the tickets alone would come to nearly Euro 500 - and they're happy to rock it at Eurocon instead. Which means it's just me. I would be happy to look into somewhere other Chronners are staying to travel in and out together (Abernovo?) and I'm happy with most types of accomodation - B and B, guesthouse, hotel. If anyone is interested in that, in theory at least, I can see what there is out there that's a bit cheaper? I'm also interested in pricing the student residences - they have apartments that take 6. I can enquire about ensuites and what not. from my experience of Cons provided I have somewhere to kip and get some breakfast, I'm covered.

Accommodation | Summer at UCD

Last edited:
Jo, I'm super duper flexible and open to any sort of accomodation - hostel, guesthouse, shared flat (Air BnB) etc. Happy to share a room or sleep on the sofa bed if it's a flat rental - I'm pretty laid back about that sort of thing. Definitely count me in!

And for those doing the double con - I'm up for sharing Belfast accommodation, too. :)

Edit: I've never been to Dublin so have no idea of local geography; am happy to trust in whatever gets decided (and to pay deposit as soon as it's decided, too.)

Just a heads up: apparently AirBnB are already taking bookings for the period of the con... People were posting about it today in a FB group I'm in.

The UCD idea looks good, too! Maybe we should start drawing up a list of those who would be definitely interested?

We're still trying to work both Eurocon (Belfast) and WorldCon (Dublin) into a "one" package without it costing as much as it would to go to Disneyland Florida. :/ 'We're' not doing very well. UCD looks good.

I've looked into it more today. I don't see my family coming with me as the tickets alone would come to nearly Euro 500 - and they're happy to rock it at Eurocon instead. Which means it's just me. I would be happy to look into somewhere other Chronners are staying to travel in and out together (Abernovo?) and I'm happy with most types of accomodation - B and B, guesthouse, hotel. If anyone is interested in that, in theory at least, I can see what there is out there that's a bit cheaper? I'm also interested in pricing the student residences - they have apartments that take 6. I can enquire about ensuites and what not. from my experience of Cons provided I have somewhere to kip and get some breakfast, I'm covered.

Accommodation | Summer at UCD
Sorry for the delay in replying. Not really been about too much recently.

UCD sounds okay. Aberdeen Uni used to rent out rooms in student halls during the summer, and they were usually reasonable. I can be pretty flexible with accommodation. Don't mind travelling in. I just take forever to get ready.

Certainly ready to consider any options.