Chrons Dublin and Belfast cluster meet -2019

I'm staying at the Belfast Hilton the Thursday through Saturday, any 'must try' eating spots in the vacinity?

I'm staying at the Belfast Hilton the Thursday through Saturday, any 'must try' eating spots in the vacinity?
The Hilton itself has reasonable hotel food but the city centre is an easy walk.

Somewhere like Deanes would be well thought of. Also Ox and the Mourne Seafood Bar. Molly’s Yard out near Queens University is very nice.

If we are looking at a Chrons get together Coppi at St Anne’s Sq is nice and does small plates as well as large.

Unfortunately I will now not be attending TitanCon.

Hope you all have fun!

Martin

Sorry to hear you won't be there, @reiver33. To echo Jo, I hope things are okay.

2 memberships to TitanCon going cheap!

This is my scheldule in Dublin. Come along and heckle!

I’m so delighted to be a programme participant at Dublin 2019, and such a fun range of panels. Here’s where you can find me:

Invasion and the Irish imagination

Format: Panel
15 Aug 2019, Thursday 11:00 - 11:50, Wicklow Hall 2B (CCD)

The history and culture of Ireland have been shaped by invasion, from the mythologisation of Lebor Gabála Érenn (‘The Book of Invasions’), set down in the 11th century, to the arrival of the Normans and English in subsequent centuries. How has Irish fantastic literature engaged with this history? How is it similar to, or different from, other post-colonial fantastic literatures? And how do contemporary Irish SF writers tackle invasion and its aftermath in their work?

Jo Zebedee Ian McDonald, Dr Jack Fennell Ruth Frances Long (M) Peadar Ó Guilín

Working as a writer in Ireland

16 Aug 2019, Friday 14:00 - 14:50, Wicklow Hall 2B (CCD)

There is a rich and prolific community of writers who are living and writing in Ireland. In a country that is so friendly to creators, what are some of the benefits available to writers and any obstacles to know about? What resources are available and where does the writing community gather, learn, create, and publish their work locally?

Ian McDonald, Diane Duane Gareth Hanrahan (M) Jo Zebedee

Autographs: Friday at 16:00 Format: Autographing
16 Aug 2019, Friday 16:00 - 16:50, Level 4 Foyer (CCD)

Northern Irish SFF

17 Aug 2019, Saturday 10:00 - 10:50, Liffey Room-2 (CCD)

SFF in Northern Ireland isn’t just about Game of Thrones location tours! NI has a long tradition of writers of the fantastical and science fictional – from Flann O’Brien to Ian McDonald – as well as a unique history which provides plentiful material for SFF writers. So how can the SFF scene in NI be supported and brought to greater prominence?

Catherine Sharp (M), Trevor Kennedy ), Ian McDonald, Jo Zebedee

What is Irish science fiction now?

18 Aug 2019, Sunday 16:00 - 16:50, Liffey Hall-2 (CCD)

Together, Kevin Barry’s City of Bohane, Mike McCormack’s Notes From a Coma, Sarah Maria Griffin’s Spare and Found Parts, Ian McDonald’s The Dervish House, Sarah Davis Goff’s Last Ones Left Alive, and Oisín Fagan’s Hostages seem to suggest that there is a new, distinctively Irish science fiction that is near-future, surrealist, post-everything, and so on. Is there something to this perception? What is Irish SF now?

Val Nolan (Aberystwyth University) (M) Jo Zebedee Tom Moylan (University of Limerick) Atlin Merrick

And here is mine. Please come along and ask easy questions, or help me add to my (very shaky) knowledge! I'm also moderating my first panel. At Worldcon. No pressure then... :lol:

‘Celtic’ fantasy and mythology

15 Aug 2019, Thursday 16:00 - 16:50, ECOCEM Room (CCD)

How much veracity is there in fantasy novels based on the Celts? Certain motifs from Celtic myths are widely adopted, but to what extent do authors adhere to the original legends? Are the tropes surrounding what we consider to be ‘Celtic’ stronger than the historical realities?

Dr Kristina Perez, Deirdre Thornton, David Cartwright, Kathryn Sullivan (M), Kerry Buchanan

Imagining Disabled Futures

18 Aug 2019, Sunday 14:00 - 14:50, Wicklow Room-1 (CCD)

Speculative fiction has always shaped the conversation about our future. The dearth of solid, accurate depictions of disability, or even hints of disability in worldbuilding affects how we imagine. How do we build a speculative future for inclusion of disability? How can SFF stop harming disabled readers? How will disability change in a world with constantly evolving technology? There's a whole future out there, and disabled people will be there.

Kerry Buchanan (M), Elsa Sjunneson-Henry, Day Al-Mohamed, Sarah Pinsker (SFWA), Nick Wood

Ooh, those sound great! I'm not on any panels but I'll be doing a short reading on Friday in a group event:

Broad Universe Rapid Fire Reading
Format: Group reading
16 Aug 2019, Friday 17:00 - 17:50, Liffey Room-3 (Readings) (CCD)

Broad Universe is an international organization for women and female-identifying authors of science fiction, fantasy and horror, working together to promote women's works in the genres! Our signature event, the Rapid Fire Reading, gives each author a few minutes to read from their work. It's like a living anthology of women writers.

This is my scheldule in Dublin. Come along and heckle!
Four panels...?! John Scalzi has posted his schedule, which seems to be a pale shadow** of yours.

(I have to wonder if you'll ever be off the stage at TitanCon.... ;):) )

And Kerry is a moderator. (When did that happen? Has the world gone mad...?! ;):) )

** - A Kaffeeklatsch; a signing of books; a GoH talk (a fireside chat with Diane Duane); a reading; DJ-ing ‘Dance Across the Decades’.

Four panels...?! John Scalzi has posted his schedule, which seems to be a pale shadow** of yours.

(I have to wonder if you'll ever be off the stage at TitanCon.... ;):) )

And Kerry is a moderator. (When did that happen? Has the world gone mad...?! ;):) )

** - A Kaffeeklatsch; a signing of books; a GoH talk (a fireside chat with Diane Duane); a reading; DJ-ing ‘Dance Across the Decades’.

They’ve supported the local writers well - mine’s nothing compared to Peadar O’Guilin’s (who’s also GOH at Titancon!)

I will be missing the Friday of Titancon, sadly, as my daughter has an operation that day but should be there Thurs and Sat :)