The Perpetual To Read Pile (As it never ends, not because I'm Perp!)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who chooses at random from her TBR pile. :)

I hate to have a large TBR pile though, as I think if it gets too large there are some books I may never read, and also what's in it at a given point may not represent my current reading interests.
I currently have 12 books in the pile, and I hope I can reduce this number significantly by the end of the year (I know I will have several books not in the pile to read for bookclub and for finishing some series, and then people may lend me books by then :)

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who chooses at random from her TBR pile. :)

I hate to have a large TBR pile though, as I think if it gets too large there are some books I may never read, and also what's in it at a given point may not represent my current reading interests.
I currently have 12 books in the pile, and I hope I can reduce this number significantly by the end of the year (I know I will have several books not in the pile to read for bookclub and for finishing some series, and then people may lend me books by then :)

The law of literature states quite clearly that there will always be more books in the world then you will ever be able to read in your lifetime.:D

Welcome to the Chrons, Chlorine.

How do you choose your books at random?

How do you choose your books at random?

When the pile is larger than 12 I select a subpile of at most 12 books and try to get through it. I then pick a random number between 1 and 12 and pick the book accordingly. If there are less than 12 books I assign several numbers to the same book: for instance if I must choose between 11 books the one I most want to read will correspond to choices 1 and 2, and all other numbers to a single book.
Obsessive compulsive, me? I swear I don't know why you would say that. ;)

I know there are more books than I will be ever able to read but it irks me that, if my TBR pile gets too large, then the books I most want to read at a given time are not the ones in my TBR.

The die have spoken, and the next book has come from the small press/self published pile and is a Tickety Boo Press Anthology

aliensantho.jpg

The book contains a number of stories written by Chrons members - including Juliana, Chopper and >ahem< Perp, joined by other established and not so established writers.

The die have spoken, and the next book has come from the small press/self published pile and is a Tickety Boo Press Anthology

The book contains a number of stories written by Chrons members - including Juliana, Chopper and >ahem< Perp, joined by other established and not so established writers.

And I can't believe I missed my old friend, ratsy.

I've been busy reading during a very rare week off, so quite a bit to update.

I finished Aliens quite a while ago:

Aliens: They are out there, and according to the title of this anthology from Tickety Boo Press, they are coming.

Perhaps unsurprisingly this is a Science Fiction Collection featuring a number of different writers, some well known, some not so. The simple remit was to tell a story about aliens, but from different perspectives, and the result was a wealth of stories, that read from pulp fiction to thought provoking pieces, to action adventure to slow boilers. There are tales where the aliens are coming here top Earth, others where explorers from Earth are the aliens. Stories on an individual level through to those on an epic level, and all of them are entertaining well written pieces, something that is not only a reflection on the various authors, but on the production and editorial values of this publisher. (With the possible exception of the final story).

It is hard to mention stories individually, as it seems neglectful not to mention the others, so with that in mind, I'll recommend this book by saying it is a collection of radically differing pieces, an example of diversity and originality, something that is well worth a read for any SF fan, or with a [passing interest in what might be out there in the vast eternity of space.

As is normal I followed this up with another 25 comics, but did not finish them before going on holiday, and broke with the random tradition of book choosing by choosing one from each of the regular piles (my own choice, no less). The first of these was ARIA: Left Luggage by Geoff Nelder

51G7i-uja1L._SY346_.jpg

If you are going to write a story about an end of world apocalyptic scenario, you are going to have to do it well to compete with all the other similarly themed stuff out there. Even better, if you are able, you have to tell it in a different way and with something that makes it stands out, an original twist would hinder things.

Fortunately, Geoff Nelder manages this with his science fiction novel, ARIA Lost Luggage. Pack your bags, button up your coat it is the end of the world time again, but this time there is an original premise that works in a manner that sets the story apart from others, and is chilling too, clawing away at the mind as the implications start to sink in.

When a small object is found on the International Space station it causes a lot of international consternation, interest grows as it becomes apparent that the object, possibly a receptacle of some kind appears to be of alien origin.

Despite all the procedures in place, the box is opened in less than perfect conditions and some form of infection is released onto the world. Bit by bit, day by day it eats away at the memories of the people infected and it spreads very quickly.

It is a subject matter that can be compared to real medical conditions, something that Nelder does not shy away from, but it is a lot more than that as he delves into the issues and delivers on an excellent scale. He does not take the easy root and just give us a single path, put offers a multi-perspective tale. From generalised, a look as the population as a whole begins to lose more and more of their memories, the way society starts to erode, unravel and ultimately, collapse. To POV characters who are suffering from the memory loss, how they struggle to cope and how some come up with ways to try to remind themselves each day. To those who have managed to remain isolated, struggling to survive and understand what is going on. To the odd case where someone might seem to be immune to the infection.

Of course, all the great ideas in the world can dribble away if they are not presented well, and here Nelder comes into his own. He tells the tale with flare and passion, giving the reader great characters to latch onto, to sympathise with as they, or those they know start to drift away, regressing to childhood as time passes.

In some ways it feels as though there is a surfer trying to surf a tidal wave, just that the task before our characters is too great, an ongoing disaster that cannot be looked away from.

In fact, one of the strengths of the novel is the way it pushes the aliens into the background, they are the plot device that have set the story in motion, but we know little and see even less of them. This works as it leaves a very ambiguous feel to what they have done. Is it on purpose? Is it an attack? Were they trying to communicate, and it went wrong? Was it a gift that backfired? There is no way of knowing.

And then a second box appears. When opened… well that would be a spoiler, but things get more complicated and a totally different threat begins to insinuate itself…

The book ends on a cliff-hanger, but it is a concept that has been well developed and delivered impeccably. Well worth the read, and undoubtedly, I’ll get around to reading the sequel

I started reading this short novel by Neil Gaiman and felt that it was starting to drift before it had even started. It felt as though the author had an idea floating around his head, wanted to clear the space so threw it out there.

Gaiman though, is a lot better than that and by the time I reached the end I appreciated it as a page turner.

Odd is a young man living in the time of the Vikings. His father has died, mother ‘remarried’ and Odd is, well odd. Not the least of which is compounded by a damaged leg, crushed in an accident and healed improperly. As he gets older and feels more and more an outsider he decides to leave his village behind, retire to his father old cabin and live a quiet hermetic life.

Of course, that is not the way of this world and he finds himself pulled into a story of the gods, fighting alongside the likes of Loki, Thor and Odin to overturn the victory of a Frost Giant.

Obviously being such a short tale there is little room for anything other than a fast story, but it works beautifully filled with adventure and humour. (The way the Giants see Freya as the most beautiful thing in the world is s repeated and smile inducing point).

Although the story does not end perfectly, perhaps an indication that not all stories have to end with a nicely tied bow, it does end in a manner that is exceedingly satisfying, and perhaps better than if everything had been resolved perfectly.

Not the best Gaiman story he has told, but by no means the worst, epic in a manner that makes the slight page count seem a lot longer.

There was a time when I swore I would never read a Harry Potter book, but here, after pressure from certain friends, I have just finished the third in the series, The Prisoner of Azkaban. It has been two years since I read the previous volume, and just to refresh my opinion back then – I found the books to be nothing more than average, a lot of what I was reading was being overshadowed by the films – which I had seen. I think I felt that the skeleton of the story was there, but it worked so much better as moving pictures than the written word.

I really can’t remember when the Harry Potter phenomenon really kicked off, before the films certainly, I just remember walking into a bookshop and seeing the novels laid out on display and wondering what the fuss was about. I am going to hazard a guess that it was about the time of the fourth book, because The Prisoner of Azkaban is the first book in the series that really feels as though it is growing into something special, just as Rowling is beginning to add more depth and colour into her writing, giving a story that has a lot more going for it than the previous books.

I don’t think it is necessary to go into detail about the plot, most people will know it – Sirius Black one of the most ardent followers of Voldemort has escaped Azkaban prison, not only does it seem that he was responsible for the deaths of Harry’s parents, but he is after the boy next.

There is a lot of great world and creature building here. The Dementors are stand out creations, sold not just by what we are told about them, but in the way that Rowling has them act. They are not in the book half as much as you remember, but they dominate it with the shadow of their presence. In a similar manner it is funny to notice how much Dumbledore is missing from the pages, again it is his presence that is felt more than the actuality.

The expansion of the magic world is another bonus, the introduction of Hogsmeade, the Knight Bus, little touches like the types of sweets available, all show an author who is growing in confidence and prepared to show us the world that exists in her head in a much better manner, drawing the reader in to a richer and more immersive tale.

Most of the characters are beginning to take on a life of their own. It is the familiarity of Harry, Hermione and Ron, that make you almost happy to be around them, the fact that they can argue and fall out only serves to make them more real. Draco Malfoy is the most annoying little creep this side of Joffrey and with every utterance this reader just wanted to punch him on the nose.

There are a few things I do not like, obviously. I know his popularity and his backstory make him a very interesting character, but I just cannot see anything to like in Snape. In fact, the way he speaks to the students, especially the ones he does not like do absolutely nothing for me, I see no redeeming features there and at this stage it seems as though he is working against Harry rather than being a protector. I’ll see how that goes.

I do not like the way the points system works at Hogwarts. It seems as though there is no thought given to the system with Rowling content to take points off there, add them on here and give us an ending where Gryffindor wins again.

Loved the Quidditch this time around. Didn’t like Woods attitude to it. Wanted to punch Malfoy some more. Thought the spells and lessons were a lot better thought out and worked really well. Get Harry away from the Dursley’s they are great antagonists but starting to get repetitive. The way the book has been planned out is worthy of a doff of the cap. Well worked out, logical and comes together perfectly.

Not that I’d admit it publicly, but I might actually be looking forward to the next book.

Oops

Since starting this large, 4 pile immediate to read selection, I have read 10 books. Time, then to replace them like for like. The new books are:

20171103_212732.jpg

The second book in the Necromancer series, bought by the same friend who delivered the first one to me.

The second book of The Riddle of the Stars (collected edition)

Vamphyri! The second Necroscope novel, U.S. version - in the UK it was published as Wamphyri!

Indigo Heartfire, Chrons author :)

The Graveyard book.

The Dragon and the George. Known for his Dorsai series, Dickson also wrote a series of fantasy novels centred on the titular Dragon. Thought it was time to read them.

The Goblet of Fire. What happened? When did the Harry Potter books get so big!

Godblind - this got an epic review, so I could not resist!

Bastion written by someone I went to school with (a long time ago)

Hellshock - graphic novel by Jae Lee, initially a limited series many years ago, but was never finished. This is the completed version.

Last edited:
Necroscope by Brian Lumley

There are a couple of things that can happen when you decide to re-read a book, ranging from abject disappointment that it is not as good as you remember it, to the feeling that it was always worth a read but you get nothing new the second time, there was so much you missed in that forst instance or a warm feeling that you are meeting old friends again reminiscing over an adventure you shared many years ago.

It is the latter case that applies to my return to the Necroscope books by Brian Lumley. They are marketed as vampire novels, and in many ways they are, but the core of it, especially the first in the series, are the ESP talents of various individuals and how they are beginning to be implemented by various countries as a form of spying. Initially we are allowed to see that there are ‘standard’ abilities, telepathy, precognition, but it is slowly expanded to reveal darker things.

The story itself is told by Harry Keogh, the Necroscope of the title, related from the future to the new head of E-Branch (The Government ESP department for the UK). It tells of Keogh growing up, an outsider at school, a daydreamer who struggles with his studies. But then he rapidly improves, starting with maps, but develops combat skills, sciences, in fact any subject he struggles with he suddenly improves at as required. It turns out that Harry is a Necroscope, someone who can talk to the dead. The dead spend their after life in their eternal rest developing the things that they were good at in life, and now Harry can talk and share that with them. They impart their knowledge with delight, suddenly having contact with the world again, and through the link with Harry, each other.

In parallel we are told the story of Boris Dragosani, probably the best character in the book, a Russian who has abilities of his own, a dark side to Keogh’s abilities. He is a Necromancer, someone who is able to take the bodies of the dead and through intense, brutal dismemberment can draw the secrets from their very being. He was taught this from some dark presence, hidden away in the ground, something that has been imprisoned for centuries and years to be free…

The book basically follows the path of the two characters, leading toward the inevitable confrontation. When it comes it does not disappoint. The book is filled with interesting ideas and good characters, Keogh and Dragosani steal the show, but there are others two that stand out, Shushkin, Keogh’s step father, Max Batu a Russian agent with a killing stare, Keenan Gormley head of E-Branch.

In some ways the book does not read as a horror novel, more a modern fantasy with horror elements, the best being the feeling of great weight and presence the thing in the ground emanates, Thibor Ferenczy…

The story is well told, it keeps the pages turning and it never really gets staid, even on a second read. There are some stunning ideas here, mostly to do with the developing mathematic talents that Harry begins to learn, and the conclusion delivers in a way that is often missed. There are a few nuggets that stand out, how a lot of the psychic seem to have family roots in some of the old Russian satellite states, particularly Transylvania/Wallachia, and that the Russian E-Branch has a research facility in the mountains there – something that will be important in later books.

It was well worth a re-read…

Thanks Perp, I enjoyed reading your review. I've only read Necroscope the once, but it wasn't too long ago, probably last year or late the year before.
I very much enjoyed it and considered the other books in the series but my TBR pile is currently huge so I'd kind of forgotten about Necroscope.
Would you recommend the others in the series?

From what I remember, Vamphiri (or Wamphiri) is a bit of a let down, well written but just rather weak. It is followed by The Source which is magnificent, probably the best of the series, but the following two are nearly as good (Deadspeak and Deadspawn).

This series is followed by the Vampire World trilogy, massive books, but are probably Lumley and his Necroscope universe at their peak. Fantasy, SF and horror all wrapped into one.

There are plenty of books after that, but the ones I read were just mediocre. (I do have more to read that I have not read yet....)

From what I remember, Vamphiri (or Wamphiri) is a bit of a let down, well written but just rather weak. It is followed by The Source which is magnificent, probably the best of the series, but the following two are nearly as good (Deadspeak and Deadspawn).

Would you say they need to be read in order? Would I be missing important story arcs if I missed out Vamphiri?