The Perpetual To Read Pile (As it never ends, not because I'm Perp!)

Review of the above:

I have a friend who tries to look out for the odd book that might be a bit different. A year or so ago he manged to take the time to talk to author A J Dalton who was doing a signing close to where he lived. Suitably intrigued by said writer’s ideas, he bought the signed editions of his Flesh and Bone trilogy and consequently they ended up with your truly one Christmas.

Dalton, at least when these books were published was not a traditionally published author. All books in this series were published using the Authorhouse publishing company and on the face of it, they look good.

I guess self-publishing is a good solid way to get your name out there, especially if you have the talent and a decent story to tell, whether Authorhouse is the best route to take then I guess it is down to how much you are prepared to pay for their services, and how you find their set up when it comes to those services.

Perhaps, in some way comparable to being published by the Small Press, the difference being that the best of small publishers still provide the back up the writer needs, proof-reading, editing, covers and publication. Through Authorhouse the writer has to do it all themselves – or pay the company for it.

I think this is where Dalton’s book (I am only talking about the first novel, Necromancer’s Gambit here) stumbles slightly. Although it has been edited there are places where there are slip ups, and they are capable of snapping out of the reading flow when you find them. The cover is different but seems at contrast with the story (that might just be me).

The book comes with a badge that proclaims the book is ‘the best of metaphysical fantasy’ and the blurb casually informs us that the story is told with ‘a vividness normally only expected in film’ while the small bio at the book of the book claims that Dalton is ‘one of the UK’s leading authors of metaphysical fantasy.’ Maybe, maybe not. Metaphysical fantasy is a subgenre that is nebulous at least, and it feels as though the author is claiming these plaudits itself, something that sits badly. The best of anything is something that should be earned not claimed.

With all that being said is the book any good. Yes.

In fact, it is very good, taking traditional fantasy elements and pushing them in another direction. Two kingdoms have been at war for a long time, an impossibly long time. The process of attrition has taken hold and the countries have severely diminished populations, but just cannot stop fighting even though the initial cause of the war seems to have between forgotten. One side just has to win. Once side bolsters their army with seething armies of raised undead, controlled by an army of necromancers. While the other sees the necromancers as a threat and have even built a special group whose sole purpose is to hunt down the death magicians and kill them.

With this backdrop we are introduced to small time necromancer Mordius, who grieving the death of his master, hatches a plan to bring him back. The first thing he needs to do is steal a body from the latest battlefield, the body in fact, of a great champion, re-animate him and begin a quest to find the mythical heart – something which will give him enough to do all the things that he deems necessary.

The story is a good one, and grows in depth as it progresses. There are logical twists and turns that keep the pages turning as they are revealed. The characters are uniformly excellent. From Mordius to his raised champion Saltar, to the grizzly old veteran Scourge, to his apprentice Young Strap, Voltar the king and Kate, a female guardian working alongside the Scourge. Even the supporting characters work well and have a distinct singularity that sets them all apart. The only complaint being the Chamberlain who seems to become more toward the end of the story, but that is only a quibble.

Dalton’s writing is good, engaging and he can tell a good story. There was never a moment when I thought that I was going to give up, and I am happily looking forwards to the next book in the series. He handles personality well, description well. His world building is good without being too steeped in detail and the characters are enjoyable. With a bit better proofing this book could have been outstanding in an inordinate degree.

It is a n example of how self-publishing, especially when using a tool like Authorhouse, can be a precarious affair, what you put in both personally and financially is what you get out. To keep publication costs down you need a smaller page count, which remains a smaller font size. Although this works it makes slow going with almost too many words crammed into each page.

The next random choosing, by chance of course, took us to pile 3 again, and the book The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A McKillip

Hed.jpg

This is a book that came out of nowhere, no recommendation. I was reading an article about fantasy novels, and in a n almost throwaway line the writer compared fantasy in general with the two masters of fantasy fiction world building, Tolkien (surprise) and McKillip. I'm ashamed to say, although I like to think I am aware of a lot of the good fantasy writers, even if I have not read them.

McKillip was someone I was oblivious to. I'm not sure whether that was because she was more US based, or if it was just the article putting a personal preference into words.

No matter I was intrigued enough to buy a copy, and am now going to read it. :D

My TBR pile is figurative. There is no actual pile, nor any need for one. The books I'll read over the next year or so are either (a) still in a bookshop, or (b) on one of my bookshelves waiting to be read. When I finish a book I put it back on a shelf, search my shelves for the next book, remove it from the shelf and crack it open. What's with the actual piles? I think you're all a bit weird ;)

Ah, yes the to read pile. I think I've got a pile because there is nowhere else to put them. The bookshelves are full and there is no room for more. At the moment the books are stored at work and I am slowly working on a plan to have new bookshelves somewhere.

Until then there are precarious piles waiting to go on the shelf, and the to read pile :D

If you think I'm weird for having a pile of TBR books then you would be very cautious after seeing my lovely collection of different egg cartons out in the shed

What's wrong with a pile? They're great places to set your tea while you're reading something from another pile. Piles can be your friend if treated properly, but beware, if you anger your piles they'll turn on you and become unmanageable heaps or worse yet... start hiding things from you so you are repeatedly purchasing the same book over and over.

You guys are bad influence for me. I used to buy a book, read it, place it on the shelf if I liked it or give it away, if I didn't. Simple.
Now I have my huge *wish list* waiting to be bought, my small pile already bought and waiting to be read and no place left for those selected for my collection.:)

The Riddle-Master of Hed

A book that I saw called one of the fantasy greats, but had never heard of. Did it stand up to the comparison with Tolkien?

Well, no but it is still an impressive book that had me turning the pages faster than I should. It needs to be said that The Riddle-Master of Hed was written in 1973 a long time before the modern glut of fantasy novels perforate shelves, that it is the first book in a trilogy (mothing longer) and that it is not a massive breeze block of a book, rather a nicely sized, perhaps even scant 250+ pages.
It follows the story of Morgon of Hed, a small peaceful, agrarian society where he serves as it’s land-ruler. This is not just a title, it is something a bit more physical than that, an actual passing of a connection with the land from one ruler to the next.

Morgon is a bit of a renegade by Hed standards, having a quick and enquiring mind he has, in the past spent time at a college, where he showed aptitude at riddling, perhaps one of the best ever, attaining all but the black – the cloak that would mark him as a Riddle-Master.

He returns to head to live the simple life with his brother and sister, becoming land-ruler at the sudden death of his parents. But when he learns there is a riddle that has never been answered and to fail it means death, he sets off to answer it and in so doing sets of a sequence of events that change his life and the world around him forever.

A strength of the book, possibly a weakness too, is McKillip’s use of language and sentence structure, there is a brevity in it that works without detracting from the information given. This means that the book can afford to be smaller than a lot of other fantasies because the wealth of information delivered is delivered so concisely and well. It also means that if you happen to skip a line while reading you might miss something important and have to retrace your steps to find it.

The nature of the story is slightly different to the standard quest that proliferates the fantasy genre. There is no real moment where Morgon sets out with a specific goal against evil at its heart, rather it is a series of events and predictions that work against our lead character, driving him from one location to the next, gathering things to him, learning things, often, especially to start with, against his will. The number of times he tries to walk away from his destiny are many, but almost implacably he is drawn back in.

The world through which he walks is a fascinating one, populated by interesting characters, many with strange abilities, terrifying creatures that hunt to kill and even beautiful animals. There is a good history to the world as well, but as with her writing style McKillip delivers just enough to give you the atmosphere requires without drowning the reader in detail.

In many ways, this is a story of a ‘chosen one’ trying to escape his fate, and being inexorably drawn back in. It is well written and because of the style in which is has been written it is a quick read. It is only at the end that you realise just how much information you have absorbed.

I don’t think I would have compared the book to Tolkien myself, instead accepting it as its own thing, and I would not have given it any more credence than any other good fantasy book, if not for the fact the feeling I get is it is something that works better when looking back at the trilogy as a whole and, for the last few lines that are worthy of 5 stars in their own right, perfectly setting up what is to come.

And the randomness has spoken, and the next book will come from the small press/self published pile.

32942111._UY500_SS500_.jpg

The book that has come up next is the above. Obviously published by Tickety Boo Press, but by the founder of the company as well. I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

The Fourth Reich: The Head of the Snake by Gary Compton

This is the long mooted and anticipated first novel by Gary Compton, not only a writer but the founder of Tickety Boo Press, and man with the heart the size of a planet – but does his writing match up with his publishing acumen, or indeed to the size of said heart?

Well the Head of the Snake is something a lot different to anything else I have read from TBP so far, which is a good thing, it gives the book a strong identity of its own and a feel that is unique. Compton delivers his prose in a terse punchy style, complimented by short chapters that together with a strong story make the pages turn quickly. The fact that book is a relatively short one too, adds to the breakneck pace.

The story itself could have been a stereotypical one, but it is given enough of a fresh spin to make it work. Detective Freddy Bartlett is coming off the end of a harsh case, as the trial ends he feels it is more than time for him to relax, especially considering his shooting and near-death experience in his relative recent past. Unfortunately for him, rest is the last thing he is going to get as he is almost forced back into the investigation of the death of a man with strong CIA connections. What could have been a murder rapidly starts unwinding something Earth shattering events; events that tie into real world happenings, secret societies, hidden legacies and the feeling that anyone might turn out to be untrustworthy.

For me the story worked best as a thriller. The main protagonists were solid, relatable and as the story develops and they might start to feel a little out of their depth then all the more drama. Compton makes the characters work well, there are some that you recognise as likeable from the word go, some who are not, and there are one or two that just seem to be ‘slimy’ and it is up to the reader to decide whether this is just their character, or if they really are untrustworthy.

The book does come with its element of fantasy, the subtle – but growing psychic abilities that Bartlett is growing into. These work quite well, especially as he begins to discover them. In some ways they were reminiscent of the characters in Brian Lumley’s Necroscope books, which is by no means a bad things.

The stronger elements are more visceral, very much in the face touching on demonic possession and blood magic of the most disturbing proportions. The first chapter, particularly is hard going, but it does show the reader that there are huge stakes in play and that they are evil in nature. Very evil.

Although I have to admit that these supernatural elements were not my favourite parts of the book, they were some of the most descriptive, and show that should Compton wish it, he could turn in some pretty spectacular horror novels.

Of course, the most important part of the book is whether it leaves you with the desire to read the next in the series and with it amply forming a connection with the characters and a dramatic and gripping storyline, the answer is a resounding yes.

Here's my Sci-Fi To Be Read pile (waiting on a few to add to it next week) - like Danny I have a fair few ebooks too, but they don't pile very well.

TBR_Pile.jpg

That's quite a stack.(y):cool:

The random choice has brought up Captain America: The Road to Reborn, a graphic novel by Ed Brubaker

6950943.jpg

Captain America: Road to Reborn

Reviewing a graphic novel is a bit different to a normal novel, especially when it is a collection of issues rather than an original work; even more so when it was a story that I read in its original form.

Ed Brubaker had a terrific run on Daredevil at the same time as he was writing Captain America, and as a whole his Cap run nearly matched Daredevil. These issues cover part of the time when Steve Rogers has been (apparently) assassinated, with Bucky/The Winter Soldier now taking the role of Captain America. The series also celebrates the milestone 600th issue of the Captain America title, so there is a lot going on, much to do with the impending return of Rogers.

The biggest fault for me was the lack of the Bucky Cap through these issues. The man was in many ways, a much better fit for the modern era and had adopted the name and costume, but we rarely see him in these pages, rather having glimpses into the lives and supporting cast. When Bucky does appear it is generally in connection with these other stories where he appears as an incidental character, or to tell a story of the original Cap. (This is more than acceptable in the anniversary issue – you could not have that with Steve Rogers.)

The art is provider throughout by a number of different artists, which although all good, works against the fluidity of the issues, and they do feel slightly disjointed, lots of smaller stories that stand alone rather than nit together, working better in monthly format than in collected form.

Even then, at the time of reading, I felt these were the weakest part of Brubaker’s run on the title, which is a shame because the ongoing story on either side of this was universally superb.

I've cut down another 25 comics and the RSP* offered me something new by an old author, in this instance Space Winners by Gordon R Dickson.

35891793.jpg

Dickson is one of those SF writers I grew up on, along side Herbert and Heinlein. I often felt that Dickson had drawn a bit of the short straw. He was prolific and had an absolutely superb series with his Dorsai saga (later the Childe Cycle). He managed to win a couple of Hugo and Nebula awards, including the 'double' for Soldier, Ask Not.

This is one of his earlier works, aimed at a teen audience, so we shall see how it compares.

*Rand Selection Process

Last edited:
On the plus side this takes me past one of the goals I set myself at the start of the year, which was to read more than last year.

According to the handy Stats feature over on good reads I have now read 24 books, which takes me past last years 23.
On the page count I am, unfortunately a good 1700 pages behind.

Of course, I've not be including the comics, which:

a: slow me down
b: I don't count the pages. If I did, allowing for 20 pages per comic and reading 25 comic at a time, between each book - 500 pages, I'd probably have shattered that count. :D

Space Winners by Gordon R Dickson

This book is definitely a thing of its time.

Written in 1965 it is what would probably now be called a young adult novel, and tells the tale of mankind being on the edge of an invitation to join a galactic federation (all before Star Trek). The aliens have arrived and made themselves known, but before humanity can join the celestial species they have to prove they can reach the stars first. Interstellar drive is the order of the day.

While all of this is happening a number of Earth teenagers are selected to travel out into space to meet the people of the federation and to prepare the way for mankind’s arrival.

Things do not go according to plan and three of the teenagers find themselves trapped on a planet where the society is on the cusp of a technological revolution. The story follows their attempt to make their way to a hidden communication centre and to try and keep their presence on the planet a secret.

There is nothing special in the story. The characters have personalities, but I have seen better by the same author. The SF elements are of their time, although Dickson manages to circumvent a lot of the future technology issues by only mentioning one or two hi-tech devices, and just telling us what the alien technology can do without explaining it. The planet is interesting, and the technology there works well being at a slightly lower level than ours, with a few deviations.

Dickson presents some good ideas that at least show his potential, making the reader consider that not all civilisations are going to be versions of our own; even if they look similar to us, they are alien.

In all a fun, easy read but otherwise uneventful.

I did see the twist at the end coming, but then I am a bit older than the age group the book is targeted at.