King Marine Syndrome - Van Vogt

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
In 'The Replicators', a novella by A.E Van Vogt the protagonist is an ex-marine named Matlin who has running battles with aliens around a small American town.

Military advisors realise it's the same alien continually replicating itself to combat the marine, always ready with countermeasures to how it died last time, so new strategies/weapons are needed at every fight.

Army psychologist decides they need to induce 'King Marine Syndrome' as this could turn the tide, if they deliberately shell the alien ship as the ex marine nears it and so spoil his sneak attack that should do it
The reference to the King Marine syndrome comes when the army start shelling the alien ship to deliberately induce King Marine Syndrome in Matlin (this is General Day speaking):

"A king Marine, Mr. Graham, can direct a war, take command of a city, or negotiate with a foreign power like a government. Marines who get to be generals are considered sub-level versions of this species. All Marines understand this perfectly. It will not occur to Matlin to consult me, or you, or the U.S. Government. He’ll size up the situation, make a decision, and I shall back him up.”
....................... ...........................

My question is, does such a syndrome actually exist or did Van Vogt invent it?

Back