Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

I think this was just released at the wrong time because I never had time to see it at the cinema, and having watched on the small screen now I can see that it would have been much more visually impressive on the big screen. On the other hand, I do like some substance to my science fiction and this seemed a little derivative. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the 40-year-old comic had all this first, but I just saw a rehash of Avatar and Star Wars. Probably too long, and with a poor excuse to have Rhianna dance and sing. However, Luc Besson can really do costumes and scenery well. Worth seeing at least once and didn't deserve to bomb at the box office.

I watched it and really enjoyed it. A great space opera romp.

It didn't deserve it's box office takings. (Although I must confess that is didn't see it at the cinema.)

I enjoyed it for the most part. I thought the Rhinna bit was terrible but then those sorts of stunts, where they squeeze some so-called star into a role they have no place being, usually are.

Pretty, but boring. And, as others have said, there was no chemistry between the actors, so the whole romance thing fell flat.

Probably says a lot that I saw the movie about three months ago and can barely remember anything about it other than that.

Visually impressive, but I still think it definitely deserved bombing at box office. The writing was absolutely abismal, so much so that I couldn't believe a grown adult in the business could write something so laughable. The dialogue was specially cringe-worthy. I came out of the movie feeling ashamed for the people behind that movie. It was THAT awful to me. I still shake in anger just thinking about it :mad::cry:. I really wanted to like it.

I think this was just released at the wrong time because I never had time to see it at the cinema, and having watched on the small screen now I can see that it would have been much more visually impressive on the big screen. On the other hand, I do like some substance to my science fiction and this seemed a little derivative. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the 40-year-old comic had all this first, but I just saw a rehash of Avatar and Star Wars. Probably too long, and with a poor excuse to have Rhianna dance and sing. However, Luc Besson can really do costumes and scenery well. Worth seeing at least once and didn't deserve to bomb at the box office.

you hit the nail on the head in all honesty - IIRC SW was really a re-hash of the Valerian comics but was in the cinema a long, long time ago

I think Luc Besson's nostalgia got the better of him. I am old enough to have seen reprints of the French comic in the 1970's , to me it was old hat! Just seemed like an elaborated Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers, been there done that. After all on the page science fiction space opera was light years ahead of this graphic story which was strongly young adult. When I heard he was doing this I thought 'even in this comic book movie age, this aint gonna work'! It did not.
If Besson was going to do a comic why not Jean Giraud? Who signed as Moebius. Giraud's science fiction graphic stores were so much better than Valérian and Laureline. In fact Giruad's future fiction costume and milieu design were used by Ridley Scott in Blade Runner 1982.