Best Blade Runner soundtrack?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I think a lot of people will be familiar with the Vangelis soundtrack to Blade Runner.

However, the version that was released in the early 90's wasn't a full soundtrack, but apparently there have been various bootleg releases of one since.

I've heard of an official Vangelis 3-disc edition having been released:
Blade Runner Trilogy 25th Anniversary: Amazon.co.uk: Music

and there's also Edgar Rothermich's re-working of it, which I was tempted to buy:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QK36Q5E/?tag=brite-21

However, the track listings on both seem incomplete, especially by comparison to this extended soundtrack upload on YouTube:

I've checked iTunes as well, but for the UK it appears to be the same options offered as on Amazon - which is a shame, because if I could find something like the YouTube version I'd be happy to buy it.

Is the official version the "Esper edition"? That seems pretty comprehensive, but I can't work out if it's a bootleg version or not.

Is the official version the "Esper edition"? That seems pretty comprehensive, but I can't work out if it's a bootleg version or not.

You're right, the YouTube link I posted has track listings that relate directly to the Esper Edition, which is a bootleg:
Blade Runner (soundtrack) - Wikipedia

I guess that means I won't be able to buy a copy, then!

What's really good about this version is that the beginning at least sounds like a direct copy of the audio recording before they layered on the dialogue and narrative. So all those little background sounds are in there, and they are very effective. The opening is really amazing. Haven't listened to the entire score yet, though.

While the following has nothing to do with any original material, know that there's a bunch of synthesizer freaks out there who manage to play stunning covers of Vangelis' masterpiece.. in their bedroom. Here's one example that sounds pretty awesome:

The original soundtrack release was by the New Electric Orchestra. (I think. I will have to dig it out.) We had to wait years for Vangelis to release his soundtrack.

I have the 3 disc version, too. It was okay. Only one or two memorable tracks, really.

I did like the soundtrack to Blade Runner 2049.

Just thought I'd add some general thoughts. Many years ago, I went to a Star Trek exhibition in Edinburgh. It was full of props from the movies and series. One thing that I learned looking at these items (phasers, Next Gen transporter etc.) was how bland they appeared to be without those familiar sounds. A few years ago, I bought yet another copy of Todd Browning's Dracula (I now have three copies). The reason for this particular purchase was to get a copy with a new score by minimalist composer Philip Glass. I never watch any other copy now, and it taught me an important lesson in how the music in a film can have a subtle and yet pround impact on a viewer's experience.

If you look on spotify,you can see and listen to loads of different versions

Blade Runner soundtrack is notorious for countless bootleg releases. I had no idea how many until I started collecting them - so far I've collected over 60 variations (mp3 & flac format)! I'm alway looking for a release I don't have yet, so if you have any and if interested in trade please let me know...

(1982) Blade Runner - Music from the original soundtrack by Vangelis (Polydor mockup edition) - 12 tracks, 1 CD
(1982) Blade Runner Soundtrack - Complete Score by Vangelis (SWM01) - 48 tracks, 2 CD
(1982) Blade Runner Soundtrack (BG 589 Limited Edition) - 21 tracks, 2 CD
(1993) Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Off World Edition OWM-9301) - 18 tracks, 1 CD
(1995) Sunetul original al filmului Blade Runner (Gongo Edition) - 17 tracks, 1 CD
(1996) Blade Runner - Original soundtrack Limited edition (Asian World 1996) - 27 tracks, 1 CD
(1997) Blade Runner - Director’s Cut by Vangelis - 22 tracks (66 min), 1 CD
(1997) Blade Runner - Video game Soundtrack by Frank Klepacki (Gamerip) - 27 tracks, 1 CD
(1998) Blade Runner - Original soundtrack Special Edition (Asian World 1998) - 16 tracks, 1 CD
(1999) Blade Runner - Original soundtrack Special Edition (Memoires Vol 7) - 21 tracks, 63 min, 1 CD
(2000) Blade Runner - Westwood Edition (Promo video game soundtrack by Frank Klepacki) - 22 tracks, 1 CD
(2001) Blade Runner - Original soundtrack (Deck Art limited edition) - 27 tracks, 1 CD
(2001) Original motion picture soundtrack - Blade Runner by Vangelis (2001 version), 26 tracks, 2 CD
(2002) Esper Edition (Esper Productions) - 33 tracks, 2 CD
(2002) The complete original motion picture soundtrack - 20th Anniversary Blade Runner Limited Edition (OFF World music), 25 tracks, 2 CD
(2003) Blade Runner - Expanded Score - FSO Edition (Taiwan WE836) - 45 tracks, 2 CD
(2003) Los Angeles, November 2019 (Esper Productions) - 12 tracks, 1 CD
(2004) Blade Runner - Tales of the Future - 21 tracks, 1 CD
(2004) Blade Runner - Ultimate Complete Score (VOP Edition) - 35 tracks, 2 CD
(2005) Blade Runner - Esper Analysis Vangelis’ original soundtrack - 35 tracks, 2 CD
(2005) Blade Runner - Voight Kampf - 8 tracks, 2 CD
(2005) Radio 1 Hannover (PRO-18342-05) - 18 tracks, 1 CD
(2005) The Definitive Collectors Edition (Esper MR3 Edition) - 74 tracks, 4 CD
(2006) Reflections - Music In The Key Of Blade Runner - 31 tracks, 2 CD
(2007) Blade Runner - Struzan Beta Edition - 21 tracks, 1 CD
(2007) Blade Runner - Struzan UK Edition - 25 tracks, 2 CD
(2007) Esper Retirement Edition (25th Anniversary Culmination) - 67 tracks, 6 CD
(2007) The Sound Of Blade Runner - 31 tracks, 2 CD
(2008) All Those Moments - Music from the world of Blade Runner (by Vangelis) - 21 tracks, 1 CD
(2008) Blade Runner - The Audio Cut Soundtrack (by Vangelis) - 27 tracks, 2 CD
(2008) Blade Runner - The Final Mix (Spinner Music) - 17 tracks, 1 CD
(2008) Blade Runner - Original motion picture soundtrack (Grey Fedora Silver Edition) - 20 tracks, 1 CD
(2010) Blade Runner - LMS Edition 2001 (Remastered unofficial release) - 20 tracks, 1 CD
(2010) Blade Runner - Original motion picture score, Nexus 6 Volume 3 - 20 tracks, 1 CD
(2010) Blade Runner - The Tapes Collection (DC0306010) - 21 tracks, 2 CD
(2010) Blade Runner - Ultimate Soundtrack, The definitive collectors edition (MR2 Edition) (DC0208010) -18 tracks, 1 CD
(2010) Original motion picture soundtrack Blade Runner - Deleted And Alternate Scenes - 24 tracks, 1 CD
(2010) Original video game Soundtrack Blade Runner promo by Frank Klepacki - 14 tracks, 1 CD
(2010) The Sound Of Blade Runner - Definitive Edition (by Vangelis) - 46 tracks, 4 CD
(2010) Theme From Blade Runner - Tyrell Bros. (Original soundtrack-remixe zum PC-spiele-hit) - 9 tracks, 1 CD
(2011) Blade Runner - 29th Anniversary Limited Edition (DC Music-Pendor) - 108 tracks, 4 CD
(2011) Blade Runner - EMS Recombination (EMS Productions) - 54 tracks, 3 CD
(2011) Blade Runner - EMS Recombination: The Japanese Tracks (EMS Productions) - 10 tracks, 1 CD
(2011) Blade Runner - Technocybermix (Replicant productions) - 12 tracks, 1 CD
(2011) DJ A.I. ‎– Neo L.A. 2019 (The Blade Runner Remix EP - A Tribute To Vangelis) - 11 tracks, 1 CD
(2011) Original motion picture soundtrack - Blade Runner Extended cut (Chinatown Club) - 38 tracks, 2 CD
(2011) Original motion picture soundtrack Blade Runner - Restored Remastered Soundtrack (by Vangelis) - 20 tracks, 1 CD
(2011) Vangelis - Blade Runner (November 2011 Zeitgestalten upgrade edition) - 26 tracks, 2 CD
(2012) Blade Runner - The Deckard Detection - The European Club Remix (Nexus 6) - 16 tracks, 2 CD (in DVD style case)
(2012) Blade Runner by Vangelis (Future Noir) - 40 tracks, 2 CD
(2013) Blade Runner - Vangelis (SACD Audio Fidelity remaster) - 12 tracks, 1 CD
(2014) Moments Lost - Music And Art Inspired By Blade Runner (Analog Sweden) - 9 tracks, 1 CD
(2017) Blade Runner - 35th Anniversary Limited Edition - The Complete Score - 46 tracks, 2 CD
(2017) Blade Runner 2049 (Recording Sessions) - 34 tracks, 2 CD
(2017) Blade Runner 2049 (Suites) - 6 tracks, 1 CD
(2019) Blade Runner - Moments Lost - 56 tracks, 4 CD
(2019) Blade Runner - The complete score 2019 limited edition, 74 tracks, 4 CD
(2019) Blade Runner - The Deluxe Edition - Complete motion picture soundtrack - 37 tracks, 2 CD
(2019) Complete theatrical score to the motion picture Blade Runner - do androids dream of electric sheep? (2019 Edition Expanded Score) - 19 tracks, 1 CD
(2019) Musicophilia - Like Tears In Rain - 1 track (71 min), 1 CD
(2020) Off World - Nexus 9 Cut, the final edition by A’an (Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049 soundscapes), 13 tracks, 1 DVD audio

That is quite the collection. Do you have a photo?

I only have the 3 CD Vangelis soundtrack and the New World Orchestra version.

What about Audiobooks? Would you add them to your collection as well.

I really like the meditative ambience ones on youtube

That is quite the collection. Do you have a photo?

I only have the 3 CD Vangelis soundtrack and the New World Orchestra version.

What about Audiobooks? Would you add them to your collection as well.
Thanks! I'm surprised to still add yet another new bootleg to my collection every once in a while. I have them in digital format (mp3 or flac). Some don't have any artwork, so I do them myself. Most of the collection does contain artwork. I'm not into audio books, though, but I do collect Blade Runner TV promos (news reports, behind scenes, etc.)

Oh no, more Blade Runner for me to collect.Sigh.

Seriously though, that's a fine collection. These are all CDs though, do you have any vinyl?
I know how it is - new stuff keeps popping up! I mostly collect Blade Runner videos (TV promos to be more exact) and since soundtracks are my other passion it was logical to move onto Blade Runner. I'm not much interested in physical versions since they are bootlegs, so they are mp3 or flac, not CD or vinyl.