Best Blade Runner soundtrack?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I think a lot of people will be familiar with the Vangelis soundtrack to Blade Runner.

However, the version that was released in the early 90's wasn't a full soundtrack, but apparently there have been various bootleg releases of one since.

I've heard of an official Vangelis 3-disc edition having been released:
Blade Runner Trilogy 25th Anniversary: Amazon.co.uk: Music

and there's also Edgar Rothermich's re-working of it, which I was tempted to buy:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QK36Q5E/?tag=brite-21

However, the track listings on both seem incomplete, especially by comparison to this extended soundtrack upload on YouTube:

I've checked iTunes as well, but for the UK it appears to be the same options offered as on Amazon - which is a shame, because if I could find something like the YouTube version I'd be happy to buy it.

Toby Frost

Is the official version the "Esper edition"? That seems pretty comprehensive, but I can't work out if it's a bootleg version or not.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Is the official version the "Esper edition"? That seems pretty comprehensive, but I can't work out if it's a bootleg version or not.
You're right, the YouTube link I posted has track listings that relate directly to the Esper Edition, which is a bootleg:
Blade Runner (soundtrack) - Wikipedia

I guess that means I won't be able to buy a copy, then!

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
What's really good about this version is that the beginning at least sounds like a direct copy of the audio recording before they layered on the dialogue and narrative. So all those little background sounds are in there, and they are very effective. The opening is really amazing. Haven't listened to the entire score yet, though.

Sir Vivor

While the following has nothing to do with any original material, know that there's a bunch of synthesizer freaks out there who manage to play stunning covers of Vangelis' masterpiece.. in their bedroom. Here's one example that sounds pretty awesome:

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
The original soundtrack release was by the New Electric Orchestra. (I think. I will have to dig it out.) We had to wait years for Vangelis to release his soundtrack.

I have the 3 disc version, too. It was okay. Only one or two memorable tracks, really.

I did like the soundtrack to Blade Runner 2049.