Writing outdoors

When writing my rhythmic things I compose as I am walking (stumbling, hobbling) along, and must find a park bench or equivalent for temporary repose - both for my legs and my increasingly perforated memory. I always have a notepad and pencil or ball-point with me, and the sports green opposite Yapton's shopping centre (a magnificent three shops and a hairdresser) gives me a selection of seating, and the cries from the skateboard ramps and swings and seesaws for the more junior don't spoil my concentration much.

Of course, should the piece be ternary I must look pretty silly in the mobile phase - but hey, if I worried about that…

Agree with PN - a dictation system (probably into a mobile phone - I'm old enough that if we saw someone walking down the street talking to himself he'd be considered pretty odd, but now you know he's an ET phoning home) but the dictate software that recognises what you're saying doesn't seem to like me much, so it wouldn't be much of an advance on handwriting.

I would strongly advise against the park bench Chris.

"Mummy there's an old man on the park bench and he's just mumbling things at people"

That's not the only worry. I'm a little concerned my protagonist might order a small latte and a blueberry muffin in the middle of a battle scene...

Why? Would that be inappropriate?
Nero rested the head of his battle-axe on the blood soaked earth; his arms could swing no more. He stood over his vanquished foe, "Finally, I have defeated you and I'll have a small latte and a blueberry muffin please."

No seems fine...

That's not the only worry. I'm a little concerned my protagonist might order a small latte and a blueberry muffin in the middle of a battle scene...

Well...

To be fair, I think I go with your first thoughts.

What self respecting battle axe wielding , blood soaked barbarian, would risk being found dead with a blueberry muffin in his hand (assuming things went the wrong way in his case).

"Ah Ranflogger, a mighty hero, felled by a might blow from Gangtree the mighty. Sadly he will not enter Nirvana, because his sword arm was holding a blueberry muffin."

Quite apart from the hygiene aspects (ref blood soaked) there's the potential for an accusation of cannibalism due to cross over of the hacked flesh and smashed brain matter.

Not necessarily a problem in ancient times, but in a modern (latte available) setting, the backlash from the general public would be deafening.

Also, asking your fallen foe to suddenly change from an equally ferocious heathen, to a wimpy coffee frothed barista takes rape and pillage to a new low IMO.

Last edited:
I do like to write outside, but I have a problem with the comfort when writing in parks. Also with the battery life on my laptop, as I quit writing on paper a life time ago. Here's the park where I usually go to ride my bicycle and write between laps.

park_bucharest.jpg

Considering where I live now, and considering the fact that I generally don't write freehand anymore, no, I don't write outside, but under the right conditions, there certain is appeal to such a thing.